Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended annual service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We barely even use the brakes on our Teslas. My Lexus hasn't had new fluid in at least eight years. When I had it in last year for new brakes, I asked them to replace the brake fluid. They said they tested the fluid with brake fluid test strips, and that it was fine and it didn't need to be replaced.
Agreed. Use a test strip every year for fluid contamination analysis and you are good to go :cool:
Interesting. I think if you did have it changed, you would notice an improvement in brake feel and response. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and degrades with time; it becomes more compressible, degrades brake feel, and becomes much more susceptible to fade. Internal corrosion is also an issue. All European cars I have owned have recommended two-three year replacement interval for brake fluid. Tesla is right in line with common practice for this service. A brake flush on my Mini recently cost $110 with .8 hour labor at an indy shop. Seems like a small price to keep a vital safety system in top shape.

Perhaps because of my road racing experience, I am more sensitive to this. To be competitive I had to replace brake fluid every other race weekend at a minimum. With proper tools it is an easy job for competent mechanics.
As a former track junkie, your experience with brake fluid is due to many repeated high heat cycles and not hydroscopic absorption.
I agree with frequent fluid changes including synthetic and maintenance based on total elapsed track hours ... not months or miles.
Regarding our Tesla's ... changing the brake fluid and battery coolant every 4 years is very conservative. :cool: YMMV

As a multi-year ICE owner with way too much experience with repairs and maintenance over the years, I wanted to compile a ridiculous list of repairs that are "possible". I wanted to capture all those things that have happened to me over the years like a cracked exhaust manifold, or ???. Anyway, as I was thinking about all the thousands of parts on ICEs that generally don't go wrong, but can, I really began to appreciate that the list of potential problems on the EV is significantly shorter than the ICE. Now, we all "know" this, but I wish I had list to really drive this difference in liability home. I seem to remember super thick books that mechanics would look up a repair on that gave time estimates to fix them. Way less fluids, no belts, timing chains, valve clearances, and an sh!* ton less moving parts certainly has the potential to be way better. Will it? I don't know but, it sure could be!

This also completely blows up the "EVs are cheaper to operate" argument. ICE vehicles are for the most part extremely reliable especially for the first 100K or so miles. Even if I swapped the entire motor in my current 340xi it would not cost $10,000 to do it.
I don't really think it blows it up. Tesla just makes it look that way. One example, Tesla builds their own motors. If a new ice car manufacturer came on the scene today and started building their own engines from scratch, I could only imagine how unreliable they might be. I think Tesla's are extremely reliable considering how much of the components are built in house. I think the only reason they are getting away with this, is because of the simplicity of the EV.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
As a former track junkie, your experience with brake fluid is due to many repeated high heat cycles and not hydroscopic absorption.
I agree, but high heat braking conditions can occur over time with road driving a relatively heavy high performance car like the Model 3. The M3 uses ABS braking to control traction so that is another concern. This is another reason for recommending the two-year brake fluid replacement interval. In my experience with road vehicles the increase in brake feel and responsiveness after a brake flush is apparent.

Where is the list of annual maintenance printed?
I will do mine, it's out of warranty. My door handle broke, I fixed it way cheaper than their 800.
Maintenance Plans
upload_2017-12-16_10-42-53.png

Brake fluid is hydroscopic...

Hydroscopic is not a word, but hygroscopic is.

I am also pretty sure that a manufacturer can't require you to use their facilities to perform maintenance or service in order to maintain warranty coverage. But you'd have to be ready to be quizzed on the qualifications or procedures if you made a warranty claim, and to show your work logs.

I've always done my own service, even on my brand new cars. Fortunately I've never needed to make a warranty claim either, so I don't have the experience of having to justify my work. I intend to continue this once I get my Model 3, especially given the almost maintenance-free aspect of the car. Hopefully my string of good luck continues :)

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Tesla seems to be really milking owners on service. all that for $900 is a joke..

If Model 3 service turns out to indeed be as expensive as service on a Model S or X, I will definitely be shocked.

I never understood that argument of "service costs are much lower on an EV" in combination with the actual annual service costs of Tesla verhicles.

For a start, why annual service at all? No car I have ever had required annual service.
Second, why 900 USD for basically just looking over the car and exchanging some small items like wiper blades? Also, why have Tesla change the wiper blades for you? Those are 20 Euro items anyone can exchange at home within two minutes. Just did mine two weeks ago. And tire rotation? Over here that is done when you change from summer to winter tires and back again as part of the tire storage service. Rotate them again at an annual service? What for?

I have had my current car for almost 14 years now, and over that 14 years I have had total service costs of less than 2K Euro. I will look up the exact amount tonight. What's with those numbers of several thousands of dollars for a service some users here mention for their BMWs, Mercs, Audis, etc? Even service costs for my father's E-class and my father-in-law's A6 are usually around 500 too 600 Euro, and that is about every three years, not annually.
I mean I know that Ferrari service costs (as well as those on any other sportscar or luxury car) can be very expensive, but isn't Model 3 supposed to be a "mass-market" BEV for the cost-sensitive customer? Who with a 35 to 50K car will pay hundreds of Dollars/Euro/etc. each year for service and not feel ripped-off?

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Main part of the 4 year Model S service that probably can only be done by Tesla is the battery coolant change/flush. And of course any software updates and checking the logs. I think the $900 cost is way excessive, even by the standards of other premium ICE vehicles.

Annual services aren’t required (but “strongly recommended”) to keep original manufacturers 4/50 warrenty in effect. But the situation changes with the extended warranty where they are required and “may affect” your coverage if not performed. This is the main reason I did the service as I have just gone out of original warranty and bought the extended one.

I started this thread to try to determine if the model 3 annual service costs were going to be closer to the model S (about $700 a year) or the Bolt (about $15 per year). I’m hoping Tesla realizes that a car for the masses cannot have model S like service costs.

Last edited:
I started this thread to try to determine if the model 3 annual service costs were going to be closer to the model S (about $700 a year) or the Bolt (about $15 per year). I’m hoping Tesla realizes that a car for the masses cannot have model S like service costs.
I bet Tesla makes the 3 service only very slightly cheaper than the S. For one thing they can't have the 3 service be reasonably priced and then still charge the bat-*sugar* crazy high service fees on the S when they should theoretically need just about the same maintenance. For another I think the allure of having all the delicious maintenance profit balance out the bath they are taking on the warranty claims is just to high. They will look at the demand for the 3 and figure that high service costs won't lose them to many sales in the short term.

Its a real shame, because once it becomes well known than servicing a Tesla is more expensive than even a Mercedes or BMW its going to give EVs a bad rap for something that should really be a benefit.