Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended charging cables - 3 phase, 32 amp, type 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it depends where you expect to be charging, for example if you don't have a charger at home and rely on public chargers then it can easily be worth it. I've used my provided type 2 cable twice since I've had the car, and neither time was length an issue. If you can home charge with a tethered lead then I really doubt you'll be regularly charging at slow public chargers.

Reactions: MarcW
Hi
Do Tesla offer a CEE 3 Phase plug (similar to a commando plug only 3 phase) to type 2 charging adaptor
Do you mean for use with the UMC charging adapter as supplied with the car? Only single phase commando (16 or 32amp) with that. They do appear to have a 3 phase but it comes with a fixed attachment with a UMC ... but is out of stock ... and is £525 !! Hey, wait a minute why am I doing your Googling for you? Look at : Tesla | Charging

Last edited:
Third-party 3 phase chargers are available for slightly less. How much do you value the tesla button?

Hi
Thank you both for your reply’s so it appears that they no longer offer the CEE (3 phase) to type 2 simple adaptor as the do with the Commando (single phase) to type 2 apparently around £40 apparently.
I have found out today that they used to offer a CEE to type 1 simple adapter.
So it will have to be a new complete charging cable at around £550 now.
It would have been so simple with an adaptor
Cheers

Hi
Thank you both for your reply’s so it appears that they no longer offer the CEE (3 phase) to type 2 simple adaptor as the do with the Commando (single phase) to type 2 apparently around £40 apparently.
I have found out today that they used to offer a CEE to type 1 simple adapter.
So it will have to be a new complete charging cable at around £550 now.
It would have been so simple with an adaptor
Cheers
There has never been a 3 phase adapter for the 2nd generation UMC as it only acts as single phase. The earlier 1st generation UMC was able to do 3 phase and did have an adapter. You might be lucky and spot the older type secondhand. (Type 1 and Type 2 refers to different plugs and sockets at the car end which is a different thing. )

Reactions: ACarneiro
My apologies for borrowing the thread but are there such things as 3KW cables and 7KW type 2 cables. My car charges happily at 7.2KW off the charger at home and fast off the superchargers, but my wife's BMW i3 came with a type 2 to type 2 cable and when I use that at Tesco's to charge off the 7KW charger it only seems to go at 3KW. Not sure if that is the free chargers at Tesco or the cable?

My apologies for borrowing the thread but are there such things as 3KW cables and 7KW type 2 cables. My car charges happily at 7.2KW off the charger at home and fast off the superchargers, but my wife's BMW i3 came with a type 2 to type 2 cable and when I use that at Tesco's to charge off the 7KW charger it only seems to go at 3KW. Not sure if that is the free chargers at Tesco or the cable?

Yes: EVBOX charging cable - Type 2 - Type 2 - 6m - 3.7kW (1 phase 16A) - C1166-T2T2 - Carplug

The car has the charger electronics within it. It actually has 3 16amp modules. For 7kW (32amp) the car uses 2 of it's modules. If it only uses one it will only get 16amps.

However, there's still the possibility that the Tesco charge point only supplies 16amps in the first place! Look on Zapmap to find out.

Yes: EVBOX charging cable - Type 2 - Type 2 - 6m - 3.7kW (1 phase 16A) - C1166-T2T2 - Carplug

The car has the charger electronics within it. It actually has 3 16amp modules. For 7kW (32amp) the car uses 2 of it's modules. If it only uses one it will only get 16amps.

However, there's still the possibility that the Tesco charge point only supplies 16amps in the first place! Look on Zapmap to find out.
Thanks, So much for nicking the wife's cable, I'll have to get one of my own.

Best place always used to be Tesla themselves. High quality cables, reasonable price.

Out of interest, why make sure it is 22Kw?...I am brand new to Tesla and EV, plus this forum, hence the question as learning loads. Thanks,
22kw is 3 phase, 32a charging. While the car can’t charge at 22kw* to get 11kw you charge at 16a on 3 phase, and to get the more common 7kw you need 32a on single phase. To cover both options you need a 22kw cable.

*Model S and Model X can charge higher than 11kw

Reactions: Steely