Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended cleaning products (Australia based) for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, keen to hear what exterior (washing) and interior cleaning products you use that work well with your Tesla Model Y, particularly non abrasive products as highlighted on the Tesla web site... I've seen good reviews on Platinum Glaze and Chemical Boys.. (glass cleaner, shampoo, interior cleaning, etc)

Thoughts & recommendations?

Tx

R.

For my MY I have PPF (front only) and GTechniq Ceramic Coating all over (not on glass), and window tint for front side windows, I use/do the following:

External:
  1. Start with pressure wash using my Kärcher K2
  2. Bowdens Snow Job (Snow Job - Australian developed and made pre-wash snow foam; bringing the snowy touch to Australia!) applied using Kärcher FJ6 Foam Nozzle (Kärcher FJ 6 foam nozzle)
  3. Pressure wash off with K2
  4. Bowdens Nanolicious Wash (Nanolicious Wash - Our own dream wash.) hand wash using a Meguiars Lambswool Mit (Lambswool Wash Mitt with Bug Remover — Meguiar's Australia) using the 2 bucket method, and rinse off with LOW PRESSURE flowing water from normal hose (so it leaves behind additional protection)
  5. Dry using a Meguiars Drying towel (Supreme Shine Drying Towel — Meguiar's Australia)
  6. Wipe around doors/sills/frunk/trunk with good clean microfibre cloth
  7. Glass and mirrors with Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner (Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner — Meguiar's Australia) using a Meguiars Glass Cleaning Cloth (https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/no-smear-glass-cloth-twin-pack/)

Internal:
  1. After vacuuming, wipe down surfaces for dust and minor scuff marks with Meguiars impregnanted microfibre mit (which I can't find on their website any more)
  2. Glass/mirror with Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner (Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner — Meguiar's Australia) using a Meguiars Glass Cleaning Cloth (https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/no-smear-glass-cloth-twin-pack/) - different cloth to external
  3. When needed for marks on "leather" or hard surfaces, some warm water and chux cloth, then dry with suitable soft towel.

Very happy with the results so far.

I am still undecided on what to use for tyre black, and haven't done that yet in 8,000kms. Am contemplating Gtechniq T2 gel, but open to informed recommendations for a low gloss, long lasting coat that does not spray off if not completely dry when you drive away.

Hope this helps!

I also use Bowdens Nano (neutral pH) with either lambswool or a microfiber mitt. 2 bucket method then dry with Bowdens towel (big green sucker) since I find chamois can pick up debris and scratch your paint. Wheel brush for the wheels, never use the mitt for these.
I had it ceramic coated professionally but after a year I find it doesn't really help, so I now do a Meguiars Tech Wax 2 every couple of months
Interior I use a water based wet wipe

Don't forget to check around the windscreen sills where crap builds up and doesn't drain into the wheel wells, and wipe down the door jambs. A brush is useful for the build up around the rear glass as there's a small gap

Reactions: rengel79
Thanks @blonky and @elddum - I've gone for the following:

- Meguiar's No Smear Glass Cloth Twin Pack -
- Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner 710mL -
- Bowden's Own Nanolicious Wash
- Bowden's Own The Big Green Sucker Luxurious

I do have a Karcher but the internal pump is broken ;( so I'd only be using a standard garden hose with a decent attachment.
Struggling to justify the additional $80 for the canon head + snow job, so at this stage I think I'll go for the above and just give it a good rinse before applyhing the nano wash and using the Meguirs lambwool mitt (which I already own).. unless you think I'll damage the paint without the canon thing first?

Thanks @blonky and @elddum - I've gone for the following:

- Meguiar's No Smear Glass Cloth Twin Pack -
- Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner 710mL -
- Bowden's Own Nanolicious Wash
- Bowden's Own The Big Green Sucker Luxurious

I do have a Karcher but the internal pump is broken ;( so I'd only be using a standard garden hose with a decent attachment.
Struggling to justify the additional $80 for the canon head + snow job, so at this stage I think I'll go for the above and just give it a good rinse before applyhing the nano wash and using the Meguirs lambwool mitt (which I already own).. unless you think I'll damage the paint without the canon thing first?
Good choices.

Struggling to justify the additional $80 for the canon head + snow job
I'd never buy the expensive cannons, or pay full price for the Snow Job. Hunt around for a good price. I got the Kärcher FJ6 and Snow Job on special and/or price match by SuperCheap Auto. You can usually pick up a good second hand Kärcher on gumtree quite reasonably. IMHO money well spent.

I used to think a good fast ordinary hose was good, until I started pressure washing. Using the high pressure to get rid of all the large dirt/bugs, etc is essential. Something the hose just can't do... and if you try you end up with a swimming pools worth of water running down the road - which is big $$$ these days!

IMHO, you don't need to do the snow job if you're careful with a 2 bucket wash, as long as you pressure wash to dislodge all the bits of dirt and grime you might unintentionally grind into the paintwork.

Good luck!

Good choices.

I'd never buy the expensive cannons, or pay full price for the Snow Job. Hunt around for a good price. I got the Kärcher FJ6 and Snow Job on special and/or price match by SuperCheap Auto. You can usually pick up a good second hand Kärcher on gumtree quite reasonably. IMHO money well spent.

I used to think a good fast ordinary hose was good, until I started pressure washing. Using the high pressure to get rid of all the large dirt/bugs, etc is essential. Something the hose just can't do... and if you try you end up with a swimming pools worth of water running down the road - which is big $$$ these days!

IMHO, you don't need to do the snow job if you're careful with a 2 bucket wash, as long as you pressure wash to dislodge all the bits of dirt and grime you might unintentionally grind into the paintwork.

Good luck!
Thanks mate appreciate this!
I might get my karcher fixed but I always thought high pressure washes are bad for paint (stripping etc)

I’ve also got the 20” wheels in black: my Tesla is the dark grey long range version! Loving it :)

I might get my karcher fixed but I always thought high pressure washes are bad for paint (stripping etc)
Pressure washers get a bad reputation when people move the spray nozzle too close to the paintwork. If you can hear the water bouncing off the paint, you’re too close, move backwards until you just hear the whoosh of the water and it’s safe and effective. I’ve used a Gerni pressure washer on my 9 year old Model S it’s entire life with no Ill effects.

• Informative
Reactions: elddum and dronus
Can't really fault most of the comments. If you want to go down rabbit hole, look up ammo NYC, or car craft autodetailing on YouTube.

Bowden's is great. Snow foam cannons can be useful if used correctly. But it's all about technique. Get as much dirt off the car without touching it. When touching, touch with the cleanest and most lubrication as possible.

Get the loose dirt off as safely as possible without touching the paint. I get a decent snow foam, eg. I use Koch Chemie autoshampoo. A bit alkaline but it will get dirt off. Bowden's mega foam similar concept. If the car does t get that dirty than snow job will do as well (specific snow foams. Normal shampoo sometimes isn't strong enough). Let dwell. Rinse off.

For the bucket wash you need to not introduce a dirty media onto the car. In a bucket, place 4-5 microfiber towels, 10l water and your choice of soap. Now pull out a towel, fold into quarters and working a section at a time clean, than flip the towel to a clean section and repeat on the next section etc until all sides are dirty. Grab the next towel and repeat until the whole car is done.

Now the protection. Just use something like meguiars hybrid ceramic wax or gyeon wet coat. Spray a panel and rinse. Than once all the car is done dry it. Do this one every month or two.

Interior. Meguiars interior detailer, gyeon interior detailer etc is fine for wiping everything down. Couple sprays and wipe.

Wheels. Tesla isn't that bad. Go buy 3.8l of PS Brake buster. Does wheel and tyres. Spray on, get a microfiber towel and agitate, rinse off. Don't put it into the soap bucket.

Like I said. Rabbit hole. The above is just basic technique. Now you could pay someone to ceramic coat the car and the interior. This will make cleaning easier. But the above will keep it protected assuming it doesn't get really filthy.

Hi guys, keen to hear what exterior (washing) and interior cleaning products you use that work well with your Tesla Model Y, particularly non abrasive products as highlighted on the Tesla web site... I've seen good reviews on Platinum Glaze and Chemical Boys.. (glass cleaner, shampoo, interior cleaning, etc)

Thoughts & recommendations?

Tx

R.
Start by getting a decent professionally applied ceramic coating. It will make cleaning significantly easier. The detailer that applies that coating will get you started on some decent products. The aim is to avoid adding dirt to your washing method, so snow foams, 2 bucket method, blow drying, and quality clean microfibres are all more important to consider than the actual chemicals used. I have a small RV washing machine/dryer so that I can wash my microfibres seperately and without other contaminants. The technique is what causes scratches. Online store waxit has an amazing range of products with decent descriptions, and the products vary depending on whether ceramic coated, wrapped, or nothing. The aim is to dissolve as much dirt off the car before you touch it. That is tricky without a coating.

Reactions: Jules22

I’ve also got the 20” wheels in black: my Tesla is the dark grey long range version! Loving it :)
As meloccom said above, a pressure washer will not cause damage if used correctly. A short gun with different spray width click in nozzles is a good way to maintain control and avoid any damage. You should never be close to the paint, never use a turbo head, and ideally soften things up with a snow foam first.

I think it depends on the wheels you have. I've got the 20" Induction which are quite open, and I use a different mitt which is synthetic "wool like" (and bucket) for my wheels. I do it last.
I can see the need for a brush with the 19" Gemini's.
Well I meant more not to use the same mitt for paint as the wheels; a different mitt is fine. All about the brake dust getting caught in the fibres and scratching the paint
Brushes are good to get around the lug nuts and air nozzle

Reactions: elddum
For my MY I have PPF (front only) and GTechniq Ceramic Coating all over (not on glass), and window tint for front side windows, I use/do the following:

External:
  1. Start with pressure wash using my Kärcher K2
  2. Bowdens Snow Job (Snow Job - Australian developed and made pre-wash snow foam; bringing the snowy touch to Australia!) applied using Kärcher FJ6 Foam Nozzle (Kärcher FJ 6 foam nozzle)
  3. Pressure wash off with K2
  4. Bowdens Nanolicious Wash (Nanolicious Wash - Our own dream wash.) hand wash using a Meguiars Lambswool Mit (Lambswool Wash Mitt with Bug Remover — Meguiar's Australia) using the 2 bucket method, and rinse off with LOW PRESSURE flowing water from normal hose (so it leaves behind additional protection)
  5. Dry using a Meguiars Drying towel (Supreme Shine Drying Towel — Meguiar's Australia)
  6. Wipe around doors/sills/frunk/trunk with good clean microfibre cloth
  7. Glass and mirrors with Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner (Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner — Meguiar's Australia) using a Meguiars Glass Cleaning Cloth (No Smear Glass Cloths - Twin Pack — Meguiar's Australia)

Internal:
  1. After vacuuming, wipe down surfaces for dust and minor scuff marks with Meguiars impregnanted microfibre mit (which I can't find on their website any more)
  2. Glass/mirror with Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner (Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner — Meguiar's Australia) using a Meguiars Glass Cleaning Cloth (No Smear Glass Cloths - Twin Pack — Meguiar's Australia) - different cloth to external
  3. When needed for marks on "leather" or hard surfaces, some warm water and chux cloth, then dry with suitable soft towel.

Very happy with the results so far.

I am still undecided on what to use for tyre black, and haven't done that yet in 8,000kms. Am contemplating Gtechniq T2 gel, but open to informed recommendations for a low gloss, long lasting coat that does not spray off if not completely dry when you drive away.

Hope this helps!
Bowdens Sweet Rubber is low gloss and I haven’t had any flinging.

• Informative
Reactions: elddum