Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One final thought. I was struck by how surprised all the reporters seemed who caught us at stops along the way, that this event wasn't organized and paid for by Tesla. They seemed to be genuinely impressed that Tesla has so many customers that are so much in love with the car that we would do this on our own. For me it was an honor to help organize and participate in this drive. Just can't say enough how amazing this car is. Met a guy along the way that told me he is dumping his Bentley to get a new Model S! Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife "HoneyBug" and I also thank all the drivers and followers who have gone way out of their way this weekend to prove to the NYT that the Broder article was "faked". We're hoping we can participate in some sort of show of Tesla Model S amperage here in California. Elon, George, we've all got your back!

BTW, I'm proud that my picture of my wife in her Tesla Model S in front of the Golden Gate Bridge was this Friday's "Coin a Caption" photo! But you guys really stole the show this weekend!!!
Also, we're planning a trip around the US this May. I'm hopeful that we could get set up with PureAmps telemetry for our trip! The telemetry really enhanced the event!

I think this link will work:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151438349967801&set=a.398080447800.166146.18790602800&type=1&ref=nf

- The Veritable Bugeater

Last edited:
Great work to all involved, kudos!!

The error in supercharging reinforces the need to at least have an HPWC in one of the stalls. If the SC goes offline during non-business hours there would be a fallback plan rather than finding another station on recargo.

My wife "HoneyBug" and I also thank all the drivers and followers who have gone way out of their way this weekend to prove to the NYT that the Broder article was "faked". We're hoping we can participate in some sort of show of Tesla Model S amperage here in California. Elon, George, we've all got your back!

BTW, I'm proud that my picture of my wife in her Tesla Model S in front of the Golden Gate Bridge was this Friday's "Coin a Caption" photo! But you guys really stole the show this weekend!!!
Also, we're planning a trip around the US this May. I'm hopeful that we could get set up with PureAmps telemetry for our trip! The telemetry really enhanced the event!

- The Veritable Bugeater
Link to photo?

I also was late to this and just got through the read. Thanks very much to all the participants. Really, thanks so much.

May I be the first to suggest that this group be awarded some sort of certificate of appreciation, signed by as many of us as possible. This was an important story in the history of the rebirth of the EV, maybe even in the larger vane of the new car upstarts over this century. So how do we do that? I hate all the negativism based on ignorance, lack of forward vision, inability to open the mind, and obviously never having test driven one! At least this thread along with all pages linked/ref'd need to be captured in a composite object.

Next comment: one of our favorite bloggers has not slept since Friday night. In the passion and the adrenalin of the moment many drafts have come and gone. I bet a massive missive will descend upon us roughly Tuesday. If its not out by Wed, I wonder if he succumbed to the extreme anxiety of such a robust response to the issue. Either way we win.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to participate or promote this event. The NY Times article is clearly an attempt to influence people by painting an unrealistically negative picture of the current state of EV technology. They don't print "journalist ran out of gas" articles, do they? I didn't think so. Anyone who did would be rightfully embarrassed enough not to admit it - nor so smug as to put their name on an article like the one that started the whole mess. Whether or not the paper ever owns up to their journalistic lapse doesn't matter as much to me as the amazing response the situation inspired.

Wow, that wasn't really clear so far. (At one point I saw a message of cars driving 55 mph or so, and thought you were going slower).

Was the speed limit mostly 65 mph? What about the snow on the way to Groton, were you driving slower there?

We were under 65 only when we had to be -- sometimes when the limit was 55 or lower (e.g. frequent in the NY area), snow conditions (e.g. on the way to Groton), or traffic ...

Ben and I are now at the Wilmington, De Superchargers and Jack from Boston should be here soon. Kudos to Ben for driving all night from Boston to join us!! Jack is from Beantown as well! Just talked to Aaron and he says there are 20-25 S owners in Rockville to see everyone off. This is gonna be epic!
And to our friends in Norway, this is just nydelig! Next year I want to see a caravan of S owners driving from Oslo to Tromso!
P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I took a little road thrip with three of these zealots - Ben, John, and Aaron- last fall. Together, we watched Elon and George and Franz and All at Tesla accept the Motor Trend Award for Car of 2013 ...And if I could have only known it would lead to this. Gents, thank you. I am away in a Rainforest but would have adored the chance to be there as Tesla Guy wrote the post immediately above. The anticipation of the trip and the chance to set the record straight. And you did it. So pleased to be a small part in this revolution which, as Elon and George noted in October in New York City, will change the lives of our children, and their children... And yes, hell, yes, I would have been there if I wasn't already 4000 miles away!
Bravo!
4 Teslas and about 3,600 collective miles round trip. Fuel costs using Superchargers: Zero. Gallons of Light. Onwards, All you fellow Model S and Roaster owners!
(and the RainfoRest I am overlooking by moonlight now thanks you as well).

Last edited:
We were under 65 only when we had to be -- sometimes when the limit was 55 or lower (e.g. frequent in the NY area), snow conditions (e.g. on the way to Groton), or traffic ...

For me the most impressive thing about the whole event is Cinergi's story. Drop of the hat, made a 700 mile round trip to participate in a rally. In an EV.

Cause he just felt like it and had a day he could spare to go support fellow enthusiasts. Done. Be there in a few hours.

Great job! I was following you (on twitter) every step of the way. :)

I was wondering, did you find out why teslaguy's MS was using more energy? Another question, were all the SuperChargers 90kW-capable even with 4 cars hooked up to them at the same time?

Is it just me or did Lauren Goode's article not exactly praise their efforts. I got the distinct impression there was a negative tone to it?

I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Al. I'm sure we're on the same page -- I'm basically just saying there's a difference between saying "hey, I'm outraged" and "haha here's a picture of you in a urinal you $@#@" ...
No need to apologize for feeling angry.
What about our Broder memes?

You write that one of the cars consistently used slightly more energy than the rest. From the pictures it looks like one car had 21" wheels - while the rest had 19". Was this the one using more? (Just wondering if the 21" vs 19" has noticeable difference in energy consumption)

Just to sort out my own question: I've been looking at all the pics now - and several cars had 21" wheels. So that could not have been the reason. Sorry for not checking this before posting. :redface:

Amazed by your enthusiasm. It speaks heaps for this car! Can't wait...