Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurring FWD creak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a new spotless Model X. Spotless except for a left FWD creak from the back hinge when the door fully extends. Went back within a week of delivery and SC made it go away. However, the same creak has now returned a few days later. Have folks been successful at getting rid of such a recurring creak? I suspect no but is there a simple DIY way to silence that noisy hinge? TD.

Both of mine have at times made this exact creak. First time I took it in for one of them -- just as in your experience -- the repair didn't take.

When the creak returned I took it in again (to a different service center just for convenience) and I haven't had the creak return in months. On either door.

So I'd try again at your SC. It seems fixable. Good luck.

Both of mine have at times made this exact creak. First time I took it in for one of them -- just as in your experience -- the repair didn't take.

When the creak returned I took it in again (to a different service center just for convenience) and I haven't had the creak return in months. On either door.

So I'd try again at your SC. It seems fixable. Good luck.

Thanks. Do you remember what they did the second time around? Did they replace parts or simply proceeded with 'adjustments'? Also, was it a long repair? Thanks again for the info.

Thanks. Do you remember what they did the second time around? Did they replace parts or simply proceeded with 'adjustments'? Also, was it a long repair? Thanks again for the info.
I am fairly sure it was "adjustments". I can't find the service record in my email at the moment, though.

I waited during the second two repairs. It didn't take very long either time.

Taking mine in tomorrow for a creak that's developed in the driver side fwd. I'll let you know if they do anything special and note it in the service notes.

Pretty much all my first service visit items are door related:

- Creak in the FWD
- Driver door didn't open twice last week. Had to pry it open with my fingers to get in.
- Passenger door seems to "click" a lot when it's opening and in an open position (like it's trying to decide to open or close further)

Well and my final item is that the trunk is misaligned (one side sticks out farther than the other) and I guess that's a door too! :)

Taking mine in tomorrow for a creak that's developed in the driver side fwd. I'll let you know if they do anything special and note it in the service notes.

Pretty much all my first service visit items are door related:

- Creak in the FWD
- Driver door didn't open twice last week. Had to pry it open with my fingers to get in.
- Passenger door seems to "click" a lot when it's opening and in an open position (like it's trying to decide to open or close further)

Well and my final item is that the trunk is misaligned (one side sticks out farther than the other) and I guess that's a door too! :)

Thanks. Do let me know what they've done once you get the car back.

Had the same problem with my right side FWD. The correction SC made is Closure Assist Mechanisms and Hinges General Diagnosis. Performed necessary adjustments to right rear falcon door racetrack trim and verified creak noise is no longer present.
That did fix it but now I hear that on the left side...:(

Same as ck above, mine was the hinge. He adjusted it and it's gone. It's exactly the part shown in the video above.

I agree it could come back or migrate to the other side. I'm also pretty sure this conversation has been had on this site no fewer than a billion times. :)

Roll with it!

You're probably correct!

Called SC yesterday to schedule appt to have it fixed. Surprise, they had room this morning. Dropping by on my way to work. I'll report back.

You're probably correct!

Called SC yesterday to schedule appt to have it fixed. Surprise, they had room this morning. Dropping by on my way to work. I'll report back.

Ok so I went this morning. 30 minutes to address the issue and wash the car. Tried the FWD door 4 times at the SC. It was perfect. No noise. I then drive to the office and open the door to get my bag, exact same creak is back. Will call SC later when I got some time.

Ok so I went this morning. 30 minutes to address the issue and wash the car. Tried the FWD door 4 times at the SC. It was perfect. No noise. I then drive to the office and open the door to get my bag, exact same creak is back. Will call SC later when I got some time.

Ok so called SC. They sent a valet with a brand new Model X to my office and left with mine. They just called saying the creak was now coming from the other hinge, which they have now adjusted. They want to let it sit overnight to see if it's a tension thing. They'll check on it tomorrow morning and report back. Pretty impressed by the valet thing.

Ok so called SC. They sent a valet with a brand new Model X to my office and left with mine. They just called saying the creak was now coming from the other hinge, which they have now adjusted. They want to let it sit overnight to see if it's a tension thing. They'll check on it tomorrow morning and report back. Pretty impressed by the valet thing.

Picked up the car at noon today. Creak is now gone. Even though it took 3 tries, I’m still blown away by the service. When they saw it was recurring and my disappointment, they clearly deployed all they could to solve the issue and minimize the inconvenience, including the valet with a brand new X delivered to me. I also appreciated how the service advisor took the time to come and show me how they had solved the issue. It’s a complex car and there will no doubt be other little things to fix over time. It’s good to know one can count on the service.

Reactions: ckwong