Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Calipers - incredible work and price!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about what I was reading earlier in this thread... I think someone said that powder coating calipers was in the $1,800 range. Is that because of the extra work, removing, cleaning and re-installing them?

I had my Tesla rims powder coated a few years back and I paid about $700 for all four and they are a much bigger work surface than 4 calipers. I don't know what the job entails taking them off and putting them back on but would that work warrant the hefty price tag?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm curious about what I was reading earlier in this thread... I think someone said that powder coating calipers was in the $1,800 range. Is that because of the extra work, removing, cleaning and re-installing them?

I had my Tesla rims powder coated a few years back and I paid about $700 for all four and they are a much bigger work surface than 4 calipers. I don't know what the job entails taking them off and putting them back on but would that work warrant the hefty price tag?

1,800 seems steep. You could do them yourself for a fraction of the price. But the brakes will need to be removed and pistons taken out ect. Heres a good tutorial if you wanted to try and tackle it on your own.

I dissembled a set of brakes and dropped them off to be powder coated for only 150 bucks locally where I live.

Last edited:
Hi it’s Jen - SpenceTIRE
Just to touch base regarding cost for powder coating calipers. Definitely more expensive due to the following: car will be here occupying an entire bay, calipers needs to be disassembled from a license mechanic, bleed entire system, replace fluids, Rebuild kit, preparation of parts, plugging holes/masking, powdering entire surface with multiple coats and then calipers will be re assembled with new pistons/seals from a license mechanic and installed back on vehicle. Takes an entire day or two and booking in advance is required to make sure mechanic is on site. Cost is reduced significantly if calipers are dropped off and were to just be refinished! Approx $500-750 and you would get them rebuilt elsewhere. Last but not least cost is cheaper for basic colours in stock vs. custom orders.
Hope that helps to clarify :)

Hey All, So I’m not sure about all of you but the paint on my rear calipers started to degrade during the winter again. Even after going back to get them re-done by Spence last summer.

The Model 3/Y use a different rear caliper setup compared to the S/X. The caliper design and materials are different so the paint it seems is not adhering properly using the process Spence Tire uses to paint them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other shops in the GTA that do this work? Preferrably somewhere that will remove the calipers from the hub prior to painting (I don’t mean removing them from the car entirely) to ensure other components are not sprayed like the hub.

Thanks!

Hey All, So I’m not sure about all of you but the paint on my rear calipers started to degrade during the winter again. Even after going back to get them re-done by Spence last summer.

The Model 3/Y use a different rear caliper setup compared to the S/X. The caliper design and materials are different so the paint it seems is not adhering properly using the process Spence Tire uses to paint them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other shops in the GTA that do this work? Preferrably somewhere that will remove the calipers from the hub prior to painting (I don’t mean removing them from the car entirely) to ensure other components are not sprayed like the hub.

Thanks!
I think painting at any shop will yield the same results. I think the answer is to get them powder coated but that is typically very expensive and time consuming, although I’d be in for a group buy if anyone knew someone that did it in the GTA.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I think painting at any shop will yield the same results. I think the answer is to get them powder coated but that is typically very expensive and time consuming, although I’d be in for a group buy if anyone knew someone that did it in the GTA.

I don’t think so. It really is on the prep and if any primer is used. People paint calipers of all other cars all the time without the paint degrading in less than a year. The Model 3 rear caliper is more like a normal rear caliper used on various other cars.

I’d very much prefer powdercoating since I would do it once and never worry about it again. I’d also be in for a group buy but since the calipers need to be disassembled and potentially rebuilt afterwards it may be very costly. That’s still an unknown to me.

Reactions: Struja
I don’t think so. It really is on the prep and if any primer is used. People paint calipers of all other cars all the time without the paint degrading in less than a year. The Model 3 rear caliper is more like a normal rear caliper used on various other cars.

I’d very much prefer powdercoating since I would do it once and never worry about it again. I’d also be in for a group buy but since the calipers need to be disassembled and potentially rebuilt afterwards it may be very costly. That’s still an unknown to me.
I did mine at Spence and had the touched up once (Model S). Never got close to a year out of them before they started to peel.

I did mine at Spence and had the touched up once (Model S). Never got close to a year out of them before they started to peel.
Dang. From the previous cars I’ve owned and from the various car clubs I’ve belonged to in the past, I haven’t seen them degrade so quickly unless the prep work was not done and/or the incorrect paint was used. I was very surprised to see this paint job degrade so quickly. Spence said they used a different paint for the second time since they determined something done to the calipers during manufacturing caused the paint to not adhere but it really didn’t make a difference. It’s definitely better compared to the first time they did it but not enough.

Plus their paint process involves them spraying everything....hub, clips, pads, etc. That’s definitely not the best method.

I have seen how the shop operates and the works done by them. Spence is a super nice guy to talk to. However they just trying to get the job done and not trying to get it done correctly. At least that's my experience with them.

I have seen how the shop operates and the works done by them. Spence is a super nice guy to talk to. However they just trying to get the job done and not trying to get it done correctly. At least that's my experience with them.
We had ours done at Spence in Oct'18 ( car was late Sept '18 arrival ) & "touch wood" have had no issues so far. Just clean by hand once in a while. Wonder why such a range of experiences for same shop?

Hello,
I just got my model 3 calipers painted red with Spence and they look awesome! I had previously read this thread and tried calling before my appointment to ask about what's been done to fix the premature flaking/peeling but couldn't get a call-back. I'm counting on the noted fixes: from Tony_YYZ's post on SpenceTire's behalf: "implemented a new technique in place closer to the end of last summer [2018] to help provide a longer lasting finish" and later YusufT's post about "new primer solution".

You can bet that, if I have troubles, I'll be reminded to come back here and share.

Update: I got it painted in August 2019 and noticed some flaking around March 2020 which has not changed much since then (now, August 2020) -- most noticeable on rear driver side but fairly minor on others. I tried uploading pics but gave me error for some reason.

This thread has the most anecdotal info that I've found on this subject and, based on this, I still don't know if I should expect more out of this paint job. I'll add that I haven't read much about pressure washers but I took the car once to a coin-carwash and worry that that pressure washer could have contributed to flaking. Otherwise, I've cleaned the car by hand or drive-thru carwash.

Attachments

• 02D74991-061E-4542-87FB-1BCCE4A68E51.jpeg
    02D74991-061E-4542-87FB-1BCCE4A68E51.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 157
Pretty happy with the job overall

• Love