Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Calipers - incredible work and price!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about all these issues. It sounds like a Model 3-specific problem? I wonder if the revised approach will solve it. I had planned to do this last fall but the timing didn’t work out. I’m sorta glad now that I waited. Hopefully Spence comes through for everyone affected.

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with Spence not too long ago. He is having trouble posting replies to this thread due to his account's low post count. Also, he is out of the country right now and as such is a little slower to reply to communications they have received.

I've been asked to post this reply on their behalf. He was apologetic about the situation and conveyed again that since the Model 3 calipers of are a different design and finish compared to the S & X, there were some unforeseen issues regarding the durability of the painting process. Please see their reply below.

@SpenceTire said:
Hello again - Jen from SpenceTIRE

Attention all M3 owners!

SpenceTIRE has amazing 5 star google reviews along with the last 10 pages on this Forum complementing his incredible workmanship. Spence has been painting calipers for 15 years and takes pride in his work. He will be more than happy to rectify this issue and will continue to improve his techniques to give you the best results at an affordable price. It is his commitment and guarantee to see his work last throughout the season.

Those who are experiencing any issues with their calipers peeling - we are now seeing results after your car was just released last summer. We can appreciate all your feedback but again this isn’t a permanent solution...you would have to powder coat. Caliper painting is warrantied only for the season and we offer it for a fraction of the price compared to Tesla. We have implemented a new technique in place closer to the end of last summer to help provide a longer lasting finish. Again depending on the maintenance of the calipers this will vary how long it will last. We apologize for those who came early summer and are experiencing this.

As a one time exception we are asking all M3 owners with this issue to email me directly and we will offer a complimentary touch up! [email protected] 647-680-9308

Let me know if any of you have any additional questions. Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with Spence not too long ago. He is having trouble posting replies to this thread due to his account's low post count. Also, he is out of the country right now and as such is a little slower to reply to communications they have received.

I've been asked to post this reply on their behalf. He was apologetic about the situation and conveyed again that since the Model 3 calipers of are a different design and finish compared to the S & X, there were some unforeseen issues regarding the durability of the painting process. Please see their reply below.

Let me know if any of you have any additional questions. Cheers!
Thanks for the update, Tony. I figured Spence would come thru with that - great news.

I can't believe the estimated price of the powdercoated calipers though! Wow!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Just got off the phone with Spence himself. He said because of the oils the paint would eventually chip especially the rear ones. He's purchasing a new primer solution that should hopefully help prolong or prevent the chipping issue. He's aware of the couple people on here having chipping issues so he's going to get you guys in and repaint it for free as a one time exception.

He said it's a new car and it's hard for him to tell how long his product lasts and he's always trying to improve. His warranty is usually just for a season, but if it requires work outside of the warranty he can give you a huge discount.

And this is when Spence’s away on March break fla vacay? Well done for responding quickl sir.

Again I’ve known Spence now for sometime with both my T’s and he’s a solid guy and good family man.I had no doubt he’d do what it takes to keep his customers content. :)

Hey Spence can get a quick gloss coat touch up? Lol. Winter was harsher this year

Sent an email yesterday and got a response shortly after that they will take care of it. They did ask that I pick a day when the temperature is at least 15 degrees, so it'll be a few weeks yet before this gets done.
at least 15 degrees to paint the callipers? I wanted to get some done and booked an appoint 2 weeks from now. If he prefers for it to be 15 degrees I want to reschedule.

I had mine done about 18 months ago. The rears started to peel and flake about 1 week after they were done. I called Spence and he repainted the rears in the spring. Unfortunately, all 4 are peeling now, but I sort of figured as much.

I think "painting" the calipers is a purely short term cosmetic fix. Powder coacting would probably be the long term solution but it is probably not cost effective.