Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red line on the ground by traffic lights..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. Need some advice on this.
When using adaptive cruise control or even auto pilot, when I'm approaching traffic lights there is a red line on the ground. See image.
Once the lights turn green or the car in front moves, my tesla moves towards the traffic light. But will stop by the red line even when the traffic lights are green. I need to gently nudge the accelerator pedal to keep it going.
I'm wondering if this is a setting somewhere in the car that makes it stop at this red line even when the traffic lights are green.
If im the first car the car will stop when the traffic lights turn red. But won't move forward when the lights turn green as that red line will be present.

Thanks.
20230907_082748.jpg

Last edited:
From what I believe that line is the computer visual aid of where the STOP line would be for the tragic light. I don’t have full AP but when using adaptive CC, my car will move when the car in front does and will accelerate through the line.

I do remember when I had a loaner with full FSD, I had to tap the accelerator as you mentioned about to ‘approve’ the car to continue. It’s a well known issue. You can disable it in the settings in the autopilot menu.

Tesla Manual

Reactions: Spacemanwho
The red line shows where the car will stop. Unfortunately it is yet another restriction that we have in the UK, you HAVE to either tap the accelerator pedal or push down on the AP stick to confirm that it is clear and you are happy for the car to progress, at which point the line will go green.

doesn't make sense at normal lights

The Regs have an abundance of caution. The car might see a green light for a different lane / side turning / whatever and proceed when it shouldn't. In my case I expect that my time to react to "its doing something stupid" is unacceptably long/late, whereas reacting to "its being cautious" (and telling me so on screen etc.), by dabbing accelerator, means that I can just confirm. Not great ... but I'm not sure I like the alterative "mostly right"

How we will ever get to the point where it is right 100% of the time I dunno.

I have driven through a red light once in my adult driving life (which is many decades!), and I was in a very dark mental state at that time. I reckon FSD is a very long way from that, even if it is immune to dark mental states :)

• Funny
Reactions: Morpheus84
Thank you all. That makes sense. It's a real shame.i could understand the extra caution at roundabouts but doesn't make sense at normal lights.
I turned mine off. You can see why it’s been only partially implemented as it doesn’t work properly. Mine would pretty much always think green or red lighting in some tunnels and occasionally red motorway gantry lights were traffic lights and try and stop unless I noticed on screen and override them. The car starting to brake heavily for a non existent traffic light on outside lane of motorway was the clincher (or even bottom clencher).

Really?
Even my wife is closer to full self driving than that!
To be fair though her maintenance costs are much higher.
Yes. The difference between EAP and FSD in UK is that functionality. It also use to be chime on green light but Tesla bumped that functionality in to regular AP.

Of course autosteer on city streets (aka what most call FSD Beta even though AP is still beta) has been coming since year end 2019.

Makes me wonder if the learned stop locations go into navigation map data.
I think it’s a bit of both. Pretty sure some stop lines are baked into nav (release coincided with new nav update iirc) but also takes some hints from vision, like stop signs (possibly US only) and phantom traffic lights (definitely UK).

What I’m not 100 sure about is what causes some stop lines to ‘move’ and why some appear well into the crossing traffic lane. End of my residential road I get a stop line. I think it knows from map data that there should be one there but uses vision to see where - which is way off the line in the road and often moves between drives. Certainly wouldn’t want car to auto stop for it as it would be quickly T-boned.

Last edited: