Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesign for the Model S - what do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this originally in the TeslaMotors subreddit on Reddit, but I'd love to see what you guys think too.

I love the shape of the Model S, but think the front is a little long, so I photoshopped it to make it shorter.
I'm hoping this will be more like the shape of the upcoming Model E. What do you guys think?
http://i.imgur.com/H1MdflX.jpg
(top = original, bottom = my redesign)

Nevermind the impact of a shorter nose to safety (I'm sure it can be made reasonably strong), the overall looks pretty good except for the rear door -- making that an even sharper angle will cause further issues with ingress/egress from back seat.

The redesign will need to put the back wheels a little further back and remove the rear facing seat option. Then the rear door and B pillar can be placed better.

I would like to see the exact same battery pack dimensions from the model s in the model e.
and for tesla engineers to make the model e as small as they can with that size battery, the boot and frunk can be shrunk quite easy even if the length between front and rear wheels stay the same then can reduce the overhang. Similar to bmw3 v bmw5 series.

I would like to see the exact same battery pack dimensions from the model s in the model e.
and for tesla engineers to make the model e as small as they can with that size battery, the boot and frunk can be shrunk quite easy even if the length between front and rear wheels stay the same then can reduce the overhang. Similar to bmw3 v bmw5 series.

Your forgetting Gen3/E also will be narrower which affects battery placement and capacity.

Yes, and the shorter nose may also compromise front impact performance in the event of an accident.
2/3s of a frunk is more than even the safest ICE cars, and they get 5 stars in front crash scenarios. I think you could pull some space out there and still be very resilient in crashes. Probably more will come out of the back though.

I agree on the aesthetics, the front is just a little long and low for my tastes, but it is a minor quibble on an overall sexy car.

Hopefully by the time Gen3/E will be ready there will be a new battery technology and the size of the car will not affect anymore the range. See this thread:

Startup cuts lithium-ion costs and improves energy density

To quote from the article:
"The first application of the technology will likely be in portable electronics, says cofounder and chief technology officer Qichao Hu. Electric vehicle batteries take longer to develop, in part because they need to last a decade"
This is a clear indicator that even if this technology actually makes it to market it will still be several years before it could make it into a Tesla car. Perhaps ready for Gen4 but not Gen3.

To quote from the article:
"The first application of the technology will likely be in portable electronics, says cofounder and chief technology officer Qichao Hu. Electric vehicle batteries take longer to develop, in part because they need to last a decade"
This is a clear indicator that even if this technology actually makes it to market it will still be several years before it could make it into a Tesla car. Perhaps ready for Gen4 but not Gen3.

You are right but in this article mentioning the same technology battery developed by another Company no difference is done between batteries for portable electronics and vehicles.

High-capacity Film-type Lithium-ion Battery Developed Using Coating Process|About SEKISUI |SEKISUI CHEMICAL CO.,LTD