Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced amps on home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 wall connector was set at 32 A but in the last week I have noticed that it keeps dropping to 16 A and the screen gives a message saying that the wall connector is too hot so amperage was reduced. This just started happening in the last week and has never been a problem in the six months I have owned the car. Any thoughts?

Solution
I'd bet that the wire terminals simply aren't tight enough where your household wiring connects to the inside of the wall charger. Pop off the cover and cinch 'em down.
A few things to check

1. Make sure the MC is not in the sun
  2. Trip the breaker and look at the wall outlet connections, ensure all the wires are tight and there is no charing
  3. Make very sure the MC is plugged all the way in and that the adapter is also plugged in all the way
  4. If you have a Leviton outlet it could easily be the springs holding the plug are weak. The Leviton is a cheap outlet and should not be used for EV charging. You need a Hubbell or other commercial / industrial grade outlet.

Upvote 0
A few things to check

1. Make sure the MC is not in the sun
  2. Trip the breaker and look at the wall outlet connections, ensure all the wires are tight and there is no charing
  3. Make very sure the MC is plugged all the way in and that the adapter is also plugged in all the way
  4. If you have a Leviton outlet it could easily be the springs holding the plug are weak. The Leviton is a cheap outlet and should not be used for EV charging. You need a Hubbell or other commercial / industrial grade outlet.
Most/all of these don't apply because its a wall connector, not a UMC.

Upvote 0
What is the model number of your HPWC? If it ends in -F (or maybe before) there are known relay problems that cause the units to overheat and roll back current. It's usually only seen at higher-than-32 amps, but maybe you have a dud.

You could remove the HPWC from the wall and check that its connections to the house wiring are tight, if you want.

Do you happen to know the wire gauge and whether conduit is in use to get to your HPWC? Chances are good that its fine, but its good to ask.

Rest assured, the HPWC has a four year warranty. Contact Tesla with your concerns and they'll take care of things.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
My model 3 wall connector was set at 32 A but in the last week I have noticed that it keeps dropping to 16 A and the screen gives a message saying that the wall connector is too hot so amperage was reduced. This just started happening in the last week and has never been a problem in the six months I have owned the car. Any thoughts?

Is the unit in direct sun? If not, Tesla should warranty-replace it for you.

Upvote 0