Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced Model 3 SR+ Rang

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please read the stickied threads at the top of the Model 3 charging section.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

Tesla Official Statement on Range

This is another like hundreds of posts just like it. That number on the screen is from the official EPA rating with their test conditions:
1. No one really drives like the EPA conditions most of the time.
2. Anything you consider "highway" is definitely much faster than EPA conditions and will go through those so-called "rated miles" much faster, since wind resistance force increases with the square of the speed, not just linear.
3. The EPA testing conditions are with NO heating or air conditioning turned on. So if you are using any heating or cooling, where do you think that comes from? It's just the one battery in the car, so that number on the display isn't really "miles". It is ALL of the energy available for everything in the car, and you will use some of that up for your cabin and battery heating and cooling. The number is a measure of the amount of energy, which has to supply miles + A/C.
4. The EPA testing is from one continuous drive--not several days' worth. The car always has some idle energy drain, so if you accumulated that 500 miles over the course of several days (which you obviously did), then all of that extra energy use while the car sits is also being drawn from that number on the display.

Yes. That 250 number was there to trick you. You are not getting 250 miles with the SR+. Maybe if you drove 55 mph everywhere.

One of my Model 3’s is a SR+. Me and my partner drive it often, around 70 mph on highway, in Nevada, with AC at 68 F, AP on highway, and regularly see 247-256 miles per battery...12,000+ miles...it’s called stop allowing the accel pedal to touch the floor...

One of my Model 3’s is a SR+. Me and my partner drive it often, around 70 mph on highway, in Nevada, with AC at 68 F, AP on highway, and regularly see 247-256 miles per battery...12,000+ miles...it’s called stop allowing the accel pedal to touch the floor...

That's 215 or less wh/mi. To get that kind of efficiency at 70mph, you're probably dropping in elevation, following a semi, or you're not really averaging 70mph. I have a perfectly flat portion of my daily drive which is 15 miles, the car only gets 215 wh/mi or better when traveling under 65 mph.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Huh. Nearly every reply is about efficiency, but that's not what you're asking about. You've said the indicated range has gone down, right?

Newer models show it more obviously, but you'll lose up to 5% or so within the first few thousand miles. The drop slows down greatly after this, and nearly everyone has less than 15% degradation. You have 2.4%. it's hard to say so early on, but looks normal so far.

If it exceeds a 10% degradation in the first 10,000mi I'd consider that not exactly normal, but unfortunately well within the warranty terms of 30%.

Note that on older Model 3s, they topped out the display at 240mi. It still had the same amount of energy, they just didn't show the degradation until it hit 239mi basically. If you see more reports of degradation now, this is basically why. If calculated the old way, it would still be saying it had the 240/240 the car came with.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
on my m3 sr+ I have 208-214 miles at 100%.(very rarely supercharge) according to Tesla its normal since the warranty states that is is guaranteed for at least 70 % 8 years 100k miles. So it's "normal" for Tesla. when it gets to below 200 miles, that's when I would call Tesla.

That's 215 or less wh/mi. To get that kind of efficiency at 70mph, you're probably dropping in elevation, following a semi, or you're not really averaging 70mph. I have a perfectly flat portion of my daily drive which is 15 miles, the car only gets 215 wh/mi or better when traveling under 65 mph.

During the Georgia summer (90°F + days), my SR+ often consumed less than 215 Wh/mi average @ 70mph during my commute. I was able to routinely get 200 or less when driving in the 55-65mph range. My commute was primarily 65mph speed limit interstate travel.

This is exactly where my August 2019 M3 SR+ is at right now. 11,500 miles. I have seemed to just drop 5 miles in a matter of last 1,000 miles

I forgot the thread, but there was one where several SR+ owners were posting their ranges, and it seemed the June - September SR+ cars see this loss more than others. Mine was an August 2019 car - it had 21,700 miles when I sold it was in the 206-212 range depending how it felt that day.

On the other hand, my friend with an April SR+ with 27,000 miles is still showing 228 miles.

Reactions: KenC
208-212 here at 100% and I’ve given up on hoping it can improve. Losing 1 miles every other week and it’s become a game for me. I believe the SR+ has the worst degradation based off Feedback from most users. Good luck on your journey, it will only go down from here.

5700FF34-F3FC-4822-B00B-EA731D410F75.jpeg

208-212 here at 100% and I’ve given up on hoping it can improve. Losing 1 miles every other week and it’s become a game for me. I believe the SR+ has the worst degradation based off Feedback from most users. Good luck on your journey, it will only go down from here.

View attachment 572683
What month/year build is yours. Mine is a 2019 June sr+ and I am getting the exact same range as you. maybe the June-september builds just had a bad batch of batteries like some of the early 2018's did.

What month/year build is yours. Mine is a 2019 June sr+ and I am getting the exact same range as you. maybe the June-september builds just had a bad batch of batteries like some of the early 2018's did.
Same for me, got EU model delivered September 2019

it has 340-344km or 208-210miles... Tesla don’t do anything about it.. negative side between SuCs, nee charge longer to too high soc

I have a June 2019 SR+ with about 11k miles. When I bought it I was at 216 miles at 90%. Now I’m at 215 miles at 90% (that should come out to 239 at 100%). At one point I was down to about 210 at 90%, so I ran it down below 20% and recharged to 90and got back most of my “lost” miles (most of the losses appeared to be guessometer drift). Usually, though, I leave the guessometer in % mode and use the projected range from the energy graph.

Something I’ve noticed recently: my charging limit screen no is no longer “sticky” at the 10% intervals the way it used to be - it used to “snap” to 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%. Now it no longer snaps.

View attachment 572683

I was down to 214. Try doing the following
Drive down to 25% > charge to 50% (let finish) immediately set to 60% And start charging (let finish) set to 70%-90% in same pattern, by the time you set it to 90% your true number will be back.

2019 September SR+ was as 214 after this approach it’s now staying at 220

~12,000 miles

I was down to 214. Try doing the following
Drive down to 25% > charge to 50% (let finish) immediately set to 60% And start charging (let finish) set to 70%-90% in same pattern, by the time you set it to 90% your true number will be back.

2019 September SR+ was as 214 after this approach it’s now staying at 220

~12,000 miles
I strongly suspect this is confirmation bias. This is also a charging pattern I've never seen recommended before (genuinely interesting, to be fair, if this is reproducible for a majority of others).

There are so many cases of people trying to "calibrate". Some end up with no change, some end up with less range, and some end up with more. I've never seen more than a 3% swing to my recollection, implying two things:
  1. Less relevant if done at this time of year, but a 3% swing is entirely within the variance reported due to temperature changes. Keep in mind a "cold" battery is probably a warmer temperature than you think, and starts reporting less capacity below 25C/77F. If 214 was calculated before charging (cold), and 220 immediately after (warmed a bit), I suspect temperature effects more than anything.
  2. The battery capacity estimation is already fairly accurate. 214mi max is almost a 15% degradation, and only 3% "recovered" after "calibration" is still indicative of a lot of real degradation to me.
Point 1 may not apply to your specific case (I list them in general for anyone reading), but I then emphasise Point 2. To me it's not worth burning multiple kWh of electricity (in terms of resource usage, not cost) and fussing about just to try to trick the BMS into reporting a different number that doesn't actually impact the extractable energy. That last bit is important: "calibration" doesn't change the battery capacity, only how much it reports it has. If anything, it's increasing wear on the battery (increasing charge/discharge cycles).

So since I last posted in this thread I went on a trip (about 170 miles round-trip with a supercharging session in the middle). At the beginning of the trip, my 90% charge reading was 215 miles range. During our trip we had the heat on and drove through torrential rain. All told, we were averaging something like 220 Wh/mi - just about the worst I’ve seen. Got home and charged the car back to 90%. Now it reads only 206 miles at 90%. There’s no way I lost 10 miles range (a bit over 4%) in 24 hours. I have another road trip planned for today, then I’ll try a couple cycles of running it down and L2 charging back to 90%. I think this will be another set of data points that support the conclusion that the battery capacity reading in miles mode is not give a good estimate of range and should not trigger panic when it seems to indicate less range.

So since I last posted in this thread I went on a trip (about 170 miles round-trip with a supercharging session in the middle). At the beginning of the trip, my 90% charge reading was 215 miles range. During our trip we had the heat on and drove through torrential rain. All told, we were averaging something like 220 Wh/mi - just about the worst I’ve seen. Got home and charged the car back to 90%. Now it reads only 206 miles at 90%. There’s no way I lost 10 miles range (a bit over 4%) in 24 hours. I have another road trip planned for today, then I’ll try a couple cycles of running it down and L2 charging back to 90%. I think this will be another set of data points that support the conclusion that the battery capacity reading in miles mode is not give a good estimate of range and should not trigger panic when it seems to indicate less range.

I assume 220 Wh/mi is a typo, because that would be fantastic efficiency through torrential rain with the heater going.

Not always, but many times range drops suddenly in chunks of a few miles, not a mile at a time. It could have been over-reporting the actual available capacity for a bit, but now has a better idea. I lost nearly 4% all at once as well, also after a trip actually. Trip was much longer though (probably 12,000km total) and involved a lot of cold and Supercharging.

Alternatively, if you needed the heater, the battery may have also been cold. Even before the snowflake icon appears, I've seen as much as 3% less range reported (this is normal and by design, it's recovered once the battery is warm). Is it possible something like this happened and the decline is perhaps a bit smaller?

My 2019 sr+ was able to show 385km (240 miles) when first delivered. After 10000km I now show 366 at full. We don't do a lot of long drives, but today I was able to drive 370km on one charge on the highway. When I arrived home I still had 41km remaining for a real world range of 411km (257 miles)+. Our highway speed limits aren't that high here on Vancouver Island, but the roads also are anything but flat.

I had planned a supercharger stop and was very surprised I didn't need it.