Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole scenario is leaving me feeling sour about the company. If they just did the autopilot swap around and left it at that I could deal with it. Technology gets better and upgrades should cost more. But they also lowered the price of the car. That means my car loses value and I need to pay another $3000 to have similar features. I just got milked for $5k. Big blow all in one day, not to mention I am getting really annoyed that I have a really buggy software update and they haven't updated my car in 40 days.
You need to think of it more like cross between a computer and a car. Computers always drop in price for same capabilities and get new ones for less money. This is new deal in the car world. Traditional car thinking doesn't work here.

If I had bought EAP and FSD post sale with no discounts I'd be throwing back some stiff drinks right now.

I guess I'll have to live with with paying "only" $3500 extra over the price as of today ($5500 EAP + $3000 FSD). Combine that with the car price drops though, ouch.

This whole scenario is leaving me feeling sour about the company. If they just did the autopilot swap around and left it at that I could deal with it. Technology gets better and upgrades should cost more. But they also lowered the price of the car. That means my car loses value and I need to pay another $3000 to have similar features. I just got milked for $5k. Big blow all in one day, not to mention I am getting really annoyed that I have a really buggy software update and they haven't updated my car in 40 days.

That sucks. Really a raw deal for people who bought EAP only. Spent $5k on EAP before delivery, beacause was told at the time that if I didn’t it would cost me $7k later. Instead, had I actually waited until later (i.e., now), I’d be able to get both EAP and FSD for $5k total.

I don't see specific mention of what people who purchased EAP get (just a Model 3 with no AP can buy for 2000 or FSD for 5000.). So maybe Musk will follow-up with something more specific for EAP owners.

He'd have to give away FSD for free. Perhaps if it was just software they'd do it, but covering the cost of the computer upgrade when the company is in the middle of streamlining costs? I don't see that happening.

Plus. if they gave FSD to 3 owners imagine the outrage among the X and S crowd! Massive can of worms.

I see nearly 500 replies to the tweet from Elon referencing this so who knows what tomorrow will hold.

I don't see specific mention of what people who purchased EAP get (just a Model 3 with no AP can buy for 2000 or FSD for 5000.). So maybe Musk will follow-up with something more specific for EAP owners.

He'd have to give away FSD for free. Perhaps if it was just software they'd do it, but covering the cost of the computer upgrade when the company is in the middle of streamlining costs? I don't see that happening.

Plus. if they gave FSD to 3 owners imagine the outrage among the X and S crowd! Massive can of worms.
they would have to do it for anyone who bought EAP whether it was on a model 3, S, or X.

I was just about to post a thread pointing out that the difference between EAP and the new Autopilot is substantial. The old EAP really is halfway in between the new Autopilot and Full Self Drive definitions they are using now. For $3K I might upgrade to FSD once I see some real movement on it.

Thanks for the correct interpretation. I thought FSD was going to be priced too high to partake. Now I'm looking forward to it.:)

Their post doesn’t even make sense... “You can buy these features for half what they normally cost after delivery. FSD normally costs $7k after delivery. So you can buy it for $3k.” Half of $7k is $3500 not $3k.

Let's not quibble over $500 measly bucks. This is 2019! So we can save a little more than "half". That's even better. Next month they might raise it to $3500, who knows.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja

True, though I do think the Model 3 guys are more outraged over everything about their car ;), but I could be biased from only seeing Model 3 posts all the time.

The post-delivery price of FSD add-on was I believe $4000 (3k if purchased before delivery). So I think I'm cool if the price dropped to $2000 or so. That's like what a new phone costs nowadays.

Seems like the more balanced announcement should have been non EAP purchasers offered AP for half ($2K) and FSD for half ($3K). But EAP owners who already paid at least $5K for just EAP get free FSD. I really don't know how to be fair to folks who previously bought both.

Just can't reconcile:
Paid 0 initially = offered both AP & FSD for $5K today. Total $5K
vs
Paid $5K initially = offered FSD for $3K more. Total $8K
Huh?

Last edited:
Surprisingly, the less you bought before the more you are rewarded? ... The more you bought (and supported Tesla), the less Tesla is offering you? Seems backwards to me. Honestly scratching my head on this announcement.
Yes, it has always been like this. Ask everyone who's bought in 2018 and before. People with S/X paid ~$10k more than if they were to buy today. What do they get?

Yes, it has always been like this. Ask everyone who's bought in 2018 and before. People with S/X paid ~$10k more than if they were to buy today. What do they get?

They got to drive a leading edge car before those who bought later.

I bought a Micron laptop in the mid-1990's for $6k. What do I get? I get the laptop I bought! LOL!:D

Technically $2K; my previous FSD post-purchase price was $5K

BUT....

I paid $5500 for EAP. Many paid $7000. I paid more for EAP alone than AP+FSD cost today. I get that I got the larger tax credit, but 2 price drops plus the new AP/FSD prices in 2 months?

I can understand the frustration that many will have after getting this third gut punch when they wake up in the morning and see these prices. There will be meltdowns.

(Please note I'm just here for the discussions; I pretty much know what I signed up for. I get it, even if I don't like it very much)

Aren't current EAP owners getting a $1K price break? I thought it was a $4K addition originally and something like $7K if you bought it later. I can't remember exactly anymore.

Reactions: Blue in NC and mrau