Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is totally doesn’t make sense, If I paid $5k for EAP before, but under this new structure I still need to pay another $3k for FSD. but if I have neither, I only need to pay $5k for EAP+ FSD? That’s insane... under this new price structure, we shoud get FSD for free.
Best summary I have seen so far. Agreed if we paid $5k for Enhanced Autopilot we should get FSD for free. :eek:

There is no way to look at this and think it’s fair to people with EAP.

Two people buy the exact same car in 2018. They are both told, if you buy this beta EAP software now for $5k it will be cheaper than if you wait until later. One of them goes for it. Just a few months later, they say the one who bought nothing before can have EAP + FSD including hardware now for $5k. The one who already spent $5k before to be an early adopter of this beta software based on Tesla’s statement that it’s a better deal that way must now pay an additional $2k (so total $7k) to get EAP + FSD including hardware.

That’s completely misguided. Slap in the face to the customer who based on what Tesla said opted for the supposedly better deal of being an early adopter.
Those of us who bought EAP+FSD got punched, not slapped. At least you only pay a total of $7k for both if you upgrade your EAP to FSD. I paid $8k for the same last year. $3k on a non-delivered product that is now $2k. I’d feel a little less violated if they refunded me $1k.

The announcement sounds like for those people they can purchase the new Autopilot (AP) 2k or Full self driving for 5k. I suspect what was ACTUALLY ment was, "you can purchase AP for 2k and ADD ON full self driving for 5k (for a total of 7k).

Not sure how you’re reading it that way.

The post says:

“Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before.”​

Both these sentences say it will be a total of $5k for people who never purchased either one before.

First sentence says AP for $2 or FSD for an additional $3k. Which is $5k.

Second sentence says EAP + FSD for $6k less than before. The “before” post purchase price of these two was $11k. $6k less than that is $5k.

By the time I pay the added 2k plus tax for FSD, combined with my already paid $5800 for EAP- I will also be right at 8K total for the famous self-driving car.

I really feel for the people that bought EAP for 7500 after trial price was over. ( or was it 7?) either way-- OUCH

Those of us who bought EAP+FSD got punched, not slapped. At least you only pay a total of $7k for both if you upgrade your EAP to FSD. I paid $8k for the same last year. $3k on a non-delivered product that is now $2k. I’d feel a little less violated if they refunded me $1k.

I’d say they’re both a punch. You at least get the early access program. That could account for the $1k difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: duy.duck
There are fringe cases (very low percentage) that Tesla can afford to fix if they want, but they really don't have to because they are fewest statistically.

Then there are many people they are ignoring, and they should be looking for affordable ways to not punish them (previous $5K+ buyers of EAP)

Then there are all the new potential buyers who are already happy.

Seems like all the previous EAP owners (lots of them!) should be offered FSD at cost (<$1K IMO, or free if you already have HW3.0). No money lost (or gained) on the back of early supporters

Non EAP or FSD buyers should be offered at half price (already done)

Previous EAP and FSD buyers (fringe) offered free supercharging for 24 months? (minimal cost and few of them)

I'm looking for ways for Tesla to smooth this out without costing them much ...

Not sure how you’re reading it that way.

The post says:

“Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before.”​

Both these sentences say it will be a total of $5k for people who never purchased either one before.

First sentence says AP for $2 or FSD for an additional $3k. Which is $5k.

Second sentence says EAP + FSD for $6k less than before. The “before” post purchase price of these two was $11k. $6k less than that is $5k.

I went back and looked at the blog post (likely as you were responding to this) and added an edit to my post at the bottom to ignore that part of what I said as you are correct, thats what it says.

There is no way to look at this and think it’s fair to people with EAP.

Two people buy the exact same car in 2018. They are both told, if you buy this beta EAP software now for $5k it will be cheaper than if you wait until later. One of them goes for it. Just a few months later, they say the one who bought nothing before can have EAP + FSD including hardware now for $5k. The one who already spent $5k before to be an early adopter of this beta software based on Tesla’s statement that it’s a better deal that way must now pay an additional $2k (so total $7k) to get EAP + FSD including hardware.

That’s completely misguided. Slap in the face to the customer who based on what Tesla said opted for the supposedly better deal of being an early adopter.

Ask the people who paid $9k to unlock their 60kwh Model S battery to a 75 how they feel about this.

Prices change over time. If Tesla RAISED the price of autopilot by $2k should Elon start a bitchy tweet thread saying how unfair it is that some people paid less and demand they give him an extra $2k?

That’s a ridiculous notion. It’s not a subscription service but it’s also an emerging technology. News flash: new technologies cost more money the earlier you purchase them.

I'm happy that I did not get FSD and now can upgrade it for $2k. Still, the volatile pricing of Tesla has obviously made many current owners lose trust and I totally understand.

People are comparing Teslas to phone and tv purchases. Cars are very different than phone/tvs and I'd even say purchasing a Tesla is very different than purchasing any other car. Phone prices do fluctuate, but sometimes they do not. Look at the iPhone XS Max for example which had a starting price of $1100 in September. Today the price is... $1100. Not even the iPhone X has changed price in over 1.5 years.

I don't see those complaining as whiners. They have valid complaints. If Tesla would have shaved off $1000 for EAP+FSD, that's understandable, but $3k in such a short time? That is sure to garner complaints and that is exactly what has happened.

People aren’t complaining because they’re entitled and want a freebie. They’re complaining because Tesla is handing out freebies/deals and not doing it equitably. Tesla is doing it in a way that makes early adopters regret their decision, rather than reward them. Tesla said buying beta EAP for $5k prior to purchase was a better deal than waiting. It was not.

People aren’t complaining because they’re entitled and want a freebie. They’re complaining because Tesla is handing out freebies/deals and not doing it equitably. Tesla is doing it in a way that makes early adopters regret their decision, rather than reward them. Tesla said buying beta EAP for $5k prior to purchase was a better deal than waiting. It was not.

In my reading of this forum since I joined, I would disagree with the bolded part of your statement for a large portion of those complaining.

Let me also state that I agree that tesla is doing this in a strange way. The part I am disagreeing with is, there are lots of people complaining here because "it should be free because I paid X for it, and now its cheaper". As I have repeatedly said at this point, every other manufacturer does this, its just called something different. In BMW land (the one I am most familiar with) they would not change the MSRP but have an "Option credit" of 3k that everyone got. Same thing as a price reduction, at least while they offer it. If sales pick up and they dont need to push that model anymore, they remove the option credit (raise the price).

I dont see anyone disputing my point that every other car manufacturer does this as the above (because they know its true, if they every bought a new car and got any sort of rebate / option credit, under invoice price).

So, right now, tesla is offering an option credit for the FSD option of 3k for new buyers (not really, because tesla sells direct so they just reduced the price but its the same exact thing). if you bought a new BMW 5 months ago, and your neighbor bought one and told you "I paid X because they were running a special and I got a 3k option credit", would people be flooding websites complaining?

I dont know, but I doubt it.. because as I said before no one really knows what their neighbor paid. The neighbor could have gotten the option credit and still paid more than you, because you are a better negotiator. THATs the part thats missing with tesla. The price drops are no different than I said above, but people are acting like they are.... and Tesla is TRYING to do something to accomodate and no matter what they do thats not "free" it will never be enough.

No one made any of you buy this feature!!! You saw the amount and said ‘ya ok’. I saw the amount and said ‘meh’. Tesla realizes there are a lot of ‘mehs’ out there and would like to try and monetize them. So they make the features more attractive cost wise.

Anyone ever buy an airline ticket? What duty do they have to you to make sure you didnt pay 10cents more than the one beside you. They are allowed to make money!!!!

The price of my model is down 5k from when I bought. That’s what happens when you want in first. Prices change on everything. I have no idea why people expect to have gotten the best deal from Tesla in perpetuity. Unreal!!!

That’s not to say it doesn’t suck that someone paid less. The guy at a hotel or next to you on a plane probably did too. Class action against them too and every other industry that dares to make money by changing their prices.

No business, including Tesla, ever says ‘Everyone pays the same, forever’. People should stop acting like they do.

And to those that disagree, where does it say in your purchase agreement that your config will never cost less? Who promised you this??? Someone must have for you to think they aren’t allowed to charge less than you paid.

Last edited: