Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Presents: AP Racing 'Competition' and 'Competition Plus' Radi-Cal Big Brake Kit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RedwoodMotors

Global Vendor
May 27, 2019
Fremont, CA
Redwood Motorsports is proud to present, the track-focused (but still till street-able) AP Racing 'Competition' and 'Competition Plus' Big Brake Kits for the Model 3 - featuring AP Racing's latest and greatest race-proven Radi-Cal calipers!

cp9668-372awmsm_5.jpg

Competition: AP Racing Radi-CAL

Competition Plus: AP Racing Radi-CAL

img_607_1080x.jpg

As many of us know, the Model 3 Performance brakes (and even worse off the standard RWD and DM brakes) are not up to the task of stopping the Model 3 consistently. The thin 25mm rotor and poor rotor design (pillar-style vanes) creates a situation where the rotor temps spike very quickly, causing quick brake fade and a dangerous lack of brakes. The mechanical stopping power with the stock low-friction pads, small-diameter rotors, and non-slotted disc faces leaves a marginal pedal feel and low-initial bite for a less-than-reactive brake pedal.

The Radi-Cal 'Competition' and 'Competition Plus" BBK's are designed for competitive track use, though tolerable enough for daily use! The 'Competition' and 'Competition Plus' BBK's completely eliminate the issues with brake fade in the stock brakes, while simultaneously reducing caliper weight and massively increasing thermal capacity + cooling with it's directional curved vane rotors. The high vane count (82 vane) directional curved vane rotors act as an air pump to cool the brakes by pumping cool air through the brake rotors as it spins. On track or off, the AP Racing Brake Kit provies consistent braking, great mechanical advantage, great initial bite, and massive cooling... exactly what our cars are in dire need of from a braking standpoint. For a car this lightning-fast, we feel the Model 3 deserves the ability to stop just as quickly as it can accelerate. Incredible resistance to fade, phenomenal pedal feel, and utterly consistent braking was the goal for this brake setup, and the Radi-Cal 'Competition' and 'Competition Plus' kits more than deliver on that promise!

A quick note about the differences between the Competition and Competition Plus kits: The two kits are identical aside from the caliper body (CP9660 vs CP9668) which have a few subtle differences, the main being the thicker pad on the CP9668 which allows for a staggering 25mm pad thickness. The CP9660 is no slouch however boasting a massive 18mm thick pad. Both calipers contain anti-knockback piston springs, scalloped stainless steel pistons for minimal pad to caliper heat transfer, and an industry leading ultra-stiff forged body design that is extremely light weight and rigid due to the organic design removing every gram of material that doesn't benefit rigidity.

Kit Features:
  • AP Racing Radi-Cal Mil Spec Anodized Racing Calipers (CP9660 or CP9668 depending on kit)
  • AP Racing Massive 372x34mm Floating J-Hook Floating Directional Curved Vane Discs - Increased Mechanical Torque, Fade-Free Cool Brake Rotor Temps, Long Rotor Life!
  • Massive Brake Pads - 25mm thick pads (CP9660 'Competition Plus) or 18mm thick (CP9660 ' Competition') for Ultra Long Pad Change Intervals and Heat Dissipation!
  • No Dust-Boots or Paint to Fail During for Track Abuse (acceptable for street use)
  • Stainless Brake Lines Included!
  • * Optional Brake Pad Tension Springs (to keep your brakes quiet on the street)
**There will be a slight increase in NVH with this brake kit... if you are looking for a truly street-designed AP Racing Big Brake Kit, please check out the 'Road and Track version located here -> Vendor - Redwood Motorsports Presents: AP Racing Radi-Cal II Road&Track Crossover Big Brake Kits!!!

25mmthickpads_24_1080x.jpg

9660c_25_865dd872-7752-42cd-b372-06d3ad7bc12b_1080x.jpg

9660b_25.jpg

img_0603.jpg

These kits are currently IN STOCK and ready to ship! First come first serve, limited quantities available. We do not expect the first run to last long.

To order please visit the Following Links:

'Competition' -> AP Racing Radi-CAL

'Competition Plus' -> AP Racing Radi-CAL

That's cool that now there are mounts for 3 good AP Racing kits. It makes sense you would be more obvious about differences. Pad thickness difference is huge, rotor ring weight difference is big, but one kit has no dust boots (track only or rebuild and cleanup way too often) and has anti knock back springs (pads are always pushed a bit to the rotor, so fast wearing and lower range - track only again).

You're saying that those are streetable, but compromise is too high to DD it.

Makes sense also to list all compatible pads that you don't stock if pads choice is limited.

I’m interested in the road track set but am curious about fitment. I bought a stealth performance that came with 19” Tesla stock rims. I’ve since upgraded to 19x9.5” +35. Do you think I’ll have any fitment or clearance issues? Thanks!

I’m interested in the road track set but am curious about fitment. I bought a stealth performance that came with 19” Tesla stock rims. I’ve since upgraded to 19x9.5” +35. Do you think I’ll have any fitment or clearance issues? Thanks!
There is plenty of room with 19”. Some 18” like Dekogram or Apex will fit too.

DBCF84E0-7A28-4089-9B13-5CDF8750F738.jpeg

Not the best angle. But there is 15-20mm of clearance with my 19x9+35.

Last edited: