Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral codes scheme - will it end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were quite a few people that ordered in the summer of 16 for a delivery before the change in vehicle excise duty on 1st April 2017. It was chaos! In particular the delays in X deliveries was a nightmare. Tesla were registering cars that were half way across the ocean just to beat the luxury car tax date. It made no difference when the order was placed, production started when Tesla were ready - I received my S on the 1st March having ordered end Oct 16, there were others who had ordered weeks before me but received much later.

Technically you are required to collect the car with 7 days of being advised it’s ready, but in practise so long as they get it delivered for the Q end and they have the space to keep it I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Did you order with deferred delivery or was that the min lead time back then? Seems better now, but I'm sure Model 3 production will soon mess it up again!

I've already agreed a March delivery if it actually does arrive in Feb.

The i3 is definitely smaller than my current car (Seat Leon), and that was my main problem with it. We have a five month old and found out recently what that means when going anywhere for more than a few days. The ride wasn't too bad, though not a patch on what you get with air suspension. I didn't push the car much in the bends, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't fare well.

In think you're right about the e-Golf, though the IONIQ isn't far off either. Charge speed and range becomes the main problem with these, not for everyday journeys but the occasional long range ones, splitting them in to 80-90 mile segments with 35-45 minute stops in-between would get old very quickly.

Hence the Model S is the first choice as it will give us plenty of room, good enough range, decent charging speed, plus it should be considerably higher quality than the others, given its price!

We started with one 5 month old too and now have one 5 year old and one 8 year old! Our current family transport is a Nissan Qashqai and it isn't big enough anymore, which is why we started looking at bigger SUVs. The Qashqai is fine for shopping and the school run, but not for longer journeys when fully loaded.

I think there is a massive jump from the e-Golf to Tesla S in terms of size, space, performance, range and of course cost! I expect we'll end up with a compact EV like the e-Golf or maybe even a Model 3 alongside our Tesla X in the next few years. I can't see us ever buying another ICE in future.

Did you order with deferred delivery or was that the min lead time back then? Seems better now, but I'm sure Model 3 production will soon mess it up again!

I've already agreed a March delivery if it actually does arrive in Feb.

I ordered requesting earliest delivery, which was showing as Jan. Having followed Tesla for a year or so before I knew that was typical ‘Tesla time’ and would never be achieved. Sure enough earliest delivery was end of Feb and I collected 1st March.