Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral cost breakdown based on top.teslastats.no

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These numbers are based on Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program

upload_2019-1-17_8-59-51.png

It doesn't consider % discount for the roadster 2 for those with less than 55 & 105 referrals.

We also don't have all the referral links (only links submitted to teslastats site).

As stated by @30seconds, the cost should be less than retail, possibly 30% less, but since we don't have all referral link stats, this might compensate for that.

Costs for the deep space, unveiling, and priority access update are just estimates.

To put into perspective, the auto industry annual budget are in the billions for example, Ford at #11 is at $4.3 billion in 2015 Volkswagen Group leads automotive spending on advertising

Last edited:
And all I need are two referrals before the program ends for those wheels. Tough when you don't have a YouTube channel or a bazillion social media followers. I was able to get a friend to buy one, but the rest of my friends and family think Tesla is too rich for their blood. They all love the car, and are informed when I tell them all about it. I'll keep at it though, even when it ends as the vehicle is amazing!

The biggest problem is that the costs are severely delayed. Delivery of referrals is 1-3 years away from the time they get the money from the sale, which is basically loaning money for marketing. With Roadster 2 referrals being the most delayed (3 years), and Wall Charger the least (0.5-1 year).

Think of it, they just get the Roadster 2 production line going, lots of upfront cost, and then they have to deliver 88 cars for free within a year or two paying for marketing cars sold 3-4 years ago.

I'm not sure referalls are really needed anymore either. Production is now limited by factory capacity, not sales, apparently.