Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Supercharger Miles when you have a leased company car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave my neighbour my referral code when he ordered his Model 3 and he now has his car. It shows under my referrals in the Tesla App as Delivered 24.7.2020. There is no other information showing if I have been awarded the 1000 super charger miles or not. He has them showing up on his app.

I am wondering if it's because my car is via a leasing company, anyone know how it works?

Attachments

• IMG_7446.PNG
    IMG_7446.PNG
    96 KB · Views: 83
I gave my neighbour my referral code when he ordered his Model 3 and he now has his car. It shows under my referrals in the Tesla App as Delivered 24.7.2020. There is no other information showing if I have been awarded the 1000 super charger miles or not. He has them showing up on his app.

I am wondering if it's because my car is via a leasing company, anyone know how it works?
Its a Lease bug/feature!

My friends also picked up theres on 24/7 and shows as picked up but no miles shown. Worse thing is i used the SuC the day after and was charged for using :/. I have emailed Tesla but no response yet

I have similar in so far as I have a referral that has been delivered but the supercharging credit is not showing against my account. I only have the credits I received initially for being referred myself.
I don’t know whether I’ll be charged when these are used up or if the referral miles will suddenly appear.

Technically the lease company owns the car, so they get the miles? At least thats what I assume because I tried to use my friends referral code and I wasn't allowed because the lease company had already used one. It remains to be seen whether they pocket the miles but my friends certainly didn't get any.

Its a Lease bug/feature!

My friends also picked up theres on 24/7 and shows as picked up but no miles shown. Worse thing is i used the SuC the day after and was charged for using :/. I have emailed Tesla but no response yet
I have emailed 5 times now. I have since removed my payment card so it doesn’t happen in the future. Will call them at some point and see what they say. Will try and update this thread if I hear anything.

Reactions: davidmc
Technically the lease company owns the car, so they get the miles? At least thats what I assume because I tried to use my friends referral code and I wasn't allowed because the lease company had already used one. It remains to be seen whether they pocket the miles but my friends certainly didn't get any.
This was covered on a different thread and someone pointed out that the referral code and the referring is all done by me and in my name joelXYZ etc, not leasecompanynameXYZ. Therefore they should be my miles.

Reactions: davidmc
This was covered on a different thread and someone pointed out that the referral code and the referring is all done by me and in my name joelXYZ etc, not leasecompanynameXYZ. Therefore they should be my miles.
I know it should be. I'm just telling you what happened to me: I couldn't use my friends referral code because the lease company had already applied their own.

I know it should be. I'm just telling you what happened to me: I couldn't use my friends referral code because the lease company had already applied their own.

This sounds like a slightly different situation: you were trying to apply a referral code for the purchase of your car (or the lease company's car). Although I still think the miles should be yours, there is a greater argument that these miles attach to the purchase and so the lease company could justify 'keeping' them.

On the other hand, when I refer my neighbour to buy a Tesla, it has literally nothing whatsoever to do with the lease company at all.

This sounds like a slightly different situation: you were trying to apply a referral code for the purchase of your car (or the lease company's car). Although I still think the miles should be yours, there is a greater argument that these miles attach to the purchase and so the lease company could justify 'keeping' them.

On the other hand, when I refer my neighbour to buy a Tesla, it has literally nothing whatsoever to do with the lease company at all.
It's a good point. I've had mixed message now. Tesla told me a referral code had been added. I assumed this was one the lease company applied. I just rang them and they claim they didn't order with a referral code. I have asked if I can add a referral code to the order but I don't think it's possible after the fact.

If you've removed your payment card, you may find supercharging stops working. Lease referrals are a lottery - I got written confirmation a referral would be applied to my lease order and they still didn't do it and neither Tesla nor Lease company will take responsibility for the data fail. It's about £100 - don't sweat it.

I have a leased car.

I can't see any referrals on my account, but someone has used my referral code as I've got 400kW of supercharging credit (each time I use a supercharger it just deducts from that when I try to view my invoices).

I did do an actual paid-for supercharge before that credit appeared though.

So I think the end result is that if someone successfully uses your referral code, you will get the miles but you just can't see them properly if you've leased!

When it does work (I.e. when your / their lease co use the right code) you'll likely see a blank referral showing up (used to show names, then show the lease co, now blank).

As said above, Tesla have broken the loot box for lease customers, so you can only see how much you have left in kwh rather than miles from the history tab within the desktop site.

They do say they are working on it, but no idea how long that will take, it's been broken for months now I think (can't remember exactly when)

• Helpful
Reactions: Neilio
Tesla really have botched this up.
To check whether the referral has been applied to the account all you have to do is go charge at a supercharger.
Whilst you will see the cost in £ and p going up with each kWh, when you unplug it should very quickly revert to £0.00.
Additionally if you look at your account history online you should see the charging transaction there and when you open it up you should see how much kWh credit you have remaining. You should have been credited with 400.

To check whether the referral has been applied to the account all you have to do is go charge at a supercharger.
Whilst you will see the cost in £ and p going up with each kWh, when you unplug it should very quickly revert to £0.00.
Additionally if you look at your account history online you should see the charging transaction there and when you open it up you should see how much kWh credit you have remaining. You should have been credited with 400.

In my case, the 400 for the referral was never credited. My balance has reduced from my initial 400 for being referred and never gone up for the referral I originated, despite the referral page clearly showing that referral.

this is really helpful!

mine is leased and arval did use my provided code. In my first 7 supercharging sessions i got billed for all, but decided its 100quid so not worth sweating about and of course it is the lease companies car.

however my last two sessions have been £0 cost and the credit kwh is showing in the account history as mr mis says.

so it has taken tesla from March 23rd delivery to 4th week July for the credit to get applied. but it’s got there eventually let’s hope they don’t time expire!

i gave up trying to get my referrals. Tired both Tesla and the Leasing company and got no where. Seems no one is in a hurry to sort anything and i have stopped bothering to use my referrals as they are a waste of time if you dont own the car.