Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

refresh Model S with rear-facing seats: where to put the stroller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2017 refresh Model S with the smaller frunk and the rear facing seats in the trunk. It was great for our one 2 year old as it liberated our entire second row.

Last week, we had a new baby who goes in the middle seat in an UppaBaby Mesa. We have an UppaBaby Cruz stroller to which the infant seat attaches but don’t know where it would go. It’s too big for the frunk and it can’t be put in the trunk with our toddler as it would turn into a projectile. What do other people in this situation do or what would you suggest? Attach it to a roof rack? Hahaha.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
We have the GB Pockit stroller system. There are several versions including one that has an adapter that supports the standard cosi/nuna infant car seats. The Pockit folds up so small it’ll fit in the frunk or even in the trunk when the rear facing jump seats are used.

There are many other micro and nano strollers out there now too. But we just happen to like the GB because it’s the absolute smallest (though not the most sturdy or rugged).

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I have the same configuration as you although we just have one child at this point. We have a Vista stroller instead of a Cruz but they are pretty close. I have no idea how you could safely put the stroller in the trunk along with a child in the rear facing seat and would recommend doubling up the kids in the second row. Also, my Model S, and I believe all Model S cars, only have LATCH attachment points on the 2 outside seats in the second row. To my knowledge Tesla does not recommend placing an infant seat in the middle position.

I removed my rear facing seats with the help of a clever welder so I may remove them and reinstall at my preference, however, this goes out the window once you have kids old enough to actually want to use the rear facing seats. My recommendation is learning to remove the wheels on the uppa baby strollers, or BOB stroller, it's incredibly easy and fast and adds a ton of room. I also think umbrella strollers can work well on the floor of the second row if you know what you are doing. Chico snap-ins are a fantastic invention. Finally, I've learned that really fast installing child seats are more important than what you do with the stroller. My wife's car has the fast installation seat that can be closed on the seat belt like a clamp.... meanwhile it's cervical injury dad day whenever I need to move the other child seat that we use in the model S.

Also congrats on the new addition!

• Love
I removed my rear facing seats with the help of a clever welder so I may remove them and reinstall at my preference, however, this goes out the window once you have kids old enough to actually want to use the rear facing seats. My recommendation is learning to remove the wheels on the uppa baby strollers, or BOB stroller, it's incredibly easy and fast and adds a ton of room. I also think umbrella strollers can work well on the floor of the second row if you know what you are doing. Chico snap-ins are a fantastic invention. Finally, I've learned that really fast installing child seats are more important than what you do with the stroller. My wife's car has the fast installation seat that can be closed on the seat belt like a clamp.... meanwhile it's cervical injury dad day whenever I need to move the other child seat that we use in the model S.

Also congrats on the new addition!

Thanks so much!!! So you can remove the UppaBaby wheels easily? And then fit where?

Still grumpy that they removed the huge frunk. We ordered assuming the refresh RWD S would have the same frunk but sadly mistaken. Think anyone has a frunk hack?

Also, my Model S, and I believe all Model S cars, only have LATCH attachment points on the 2 outside seats in the second row. To my knowledge Tesla does not recommend placing an infant seat in the middle position.
My Model S has LATCH (AKA Isofix) points on all three seats in the second row but Tesla say that it is unsafe to fit seats using LATCH/Isofix in adjacent positions. However, you can use belt secured seats in any combination (assuming you can find child seats that are not too wide to fit next to each other).

Model S - Owner Safety Information (PDF)

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
It's what I told my wife! haha... we have the rack (never used it). How do you transport strollers in it? Cargo box or simply strap strollers to the roof??
Cargo box. I had the Thule Aeroblade/Atlantis box combo for my TSX and I just needed to replace the foot kit for a Model S adapter and it all fits nicely on the Tesla. It's got 17Cu Ft capacity. Literally as huge as a fridge! So both umbrella strollers go up there along with any other odd-sized luggage not to heavy to exceed the 160lbs load rating.

Congrads on the new baby!

• Love
Thanks so much!!! So you can remove the UppaBaby wheels easily? And then fit where?

Still grumpy that they removed the huge frunk. We ordered assuming the refresh RWD S would have the same frunk but sadly mistaken. Think anyone has a frunk hack?

Uppa baby is super easy to remove wheels, depending on the stroller, usually is a button on the hub, the other wheels usually don’t need to come off but they can with a twist.... the neat thing about them is how they can both be stood up and self propped if you fold them right . Also remember the main uppa baby seat can pop right out too, and this can be made to fit more flat and or stored in the Frunk.... wheels pop off and you can just fit them in spare places on side of trunk or lay flat.... the only reason I take mine apart is if I am traveling with luggage though. Or if I’m in a smaller car. The stroller isn’t big once dissembled and takes less than 10 seconds once you get it down. They’ve done a good job of making it break down into flat components... it’s the other parts fully assembled that take up so much room... same thing for the BOB which also breaks down great

• Love