Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard so much about the wipers. I have a 2016 MS (I had a 2014 MS before that) and have ordered a new MSLR and waiting for VIN to be assigned. I just replaced my wife’s Acura MDX with a MX Plaid (Oct 2023). The wiper seems to work fine. Not sure what everyone is cribbing about. And I love the car. Auto-pilot (3 months trial) works well but I wont bet my life on it yet (I watch it like a hawk). It is amazing how it stops automatically at stop signs, checks (hesitates) and then moves on. Yes, it does get confused sometimes but I am sure it will improve over time (I have seen my 2016 MS 85D evolve).

Coming back to wipers, seriously, what do you guys find wrong with it? The wipers start at a hint of rain and changes speed when the intensity of rain increases.
Same here - I have June build 2016 75D and the wipers work just fine. I've never understood the cribbing

Reactions: tldickerson
That's fair. I think it depends upon what you value. I have been looking at an I5 and MSLR for a few weeks. There's a lot of tech to go thru and lots of components to the tech to consider. I think I am pulling the trigger on an I5 today. For me, its coming down to the tech features of the BMW and refinement vs the range/SC and practicality of the Tesla. I think 90% of my days the limited range will be fine, but that 10% is concerning for sure.

It is a tough choice for sure, but I think I like the BMW tech and refinement (and the ambient lighting is cool) more.
I recently crossed shopped the SLR v i4 m50 and chose the BMW. At current prices they are more comparable than many would think. Yes the S is faster and has a bit better range (not that much however). But that’s the end of the advantages (I charge at home nearly exclusively). In every other category that mattered to me, the BMW was superior. Most important to me was the interior. Not only the design but the fit and finish. It’s light years ahead of the Tesla. The interior looks like a proper BMW. The screens are fantastic. The HUD is awesome. While the BMW is heavier, it drives better. Significantly so in fact. It feels much smaller than its weight suggests. BMW nailed the suspension.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the S quite a bit but the i4 m50 is a better drivers car. I read lots of horror stories from S owners in developing rattles and fit and finish issues. That scared me off to an extent. The S may be the better car overall depending on what you value. Just offering my perspective on this.

I recently crossed shopped the SLR v i4 m50 and chose the BMW. At current prices they are more comparable than many would think. Yes the S is faster and has a bit better range (not that much however). But that’s the end of the advantages (I charge at home nearly exclusively). In every other category that mattered to me, the BMW was superior. Most important to me was the interior. Not only the design but the fit and finish. It’s light years ahead of the Tesla. The interior looks like a proper BMW. The screens are fantastic. The HUD is awesome. While the BMW is heavier, it drives better. Significantly so in fact. It feels much smaller than its weight suggests. BMW nailed the suspension.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the S quite a bit but the i4 m50 is a better drivers car. I read lots of horror stories from S owners in developing rattles and fit and finish issues. That scared me off to an extent. The S may be the better car overall depending on what you value. Just offering my perspective on this.

the BMW prob doesn't have the 3 different vibrations too that the Tesla MS has

Reactions: teko

i4 is great, we have one, its fast, suspension is very well tuned, the only thing I would knock it on compared to S is the interior space, its cramped up front shoulder wise for two normal adults. On outside it looks big but inside its much smaller than the S.

BMW i4 has a nicer (but old fashioned) interior. It is based on a legacy gasser vehicle, and does not transfer well to EV drivetrain. Their EVtechnology is far behind Tesla as well.
They ride quiet because they have 500 lbs of sound deadning material. This reduces range and acceleration.
There are few reliable places to charge them on road trips, compared to the amazing Tesla SuperCharger Network.

Biggest issue with the BMW is the hugly ugly front grill. What were they thinking?

BMW i4 has a nicer (but old fashioned) interior. It is based on a legacy gasser vehicle, and does not transfer well to EV drivetrain. Their EVtechnology is far behind Tesla as well.
They ride quiet because they have 500 lbs of sound deadning material. This reduces range and acceleration.
There are few reliable places to charge them on road trips, compared to the amazing Tesla SuperCharger Network.

Biggest issue with the BMW is the hugly ugly front grill. What were they thinking?
In real world tests, the range deficit is pretty small.

Reactions: Jabbahop and teko

Nothing old fashioned about the i4 interior. It’s super modern and feels like a cockpit. Have you actually been in one or are you just throwing shade?

Back in 2016 had a BMW Alpina B7
Perhaps the worst car I’ve owned in the last 25 years.

From a quality and fit and finish standpoint my 2022 Plaid is probably the worst out of all the new cars I have purchased but I would buy one again because it does so many other things so well, especially the performance. I just wish I didn’t pay a $40k premium for it.

As for the wipers and auto high beams, of the cars I have owned with both, my Plaid has been the worst but has gotten better over time. For a while the wipers would be on high when it was barely drizzling so I had to turn them off and the auto high beams were so erratic that I felt eventually someone was going to have road rage on me.

I also have a BMW X7 and while they don’t have a lot of software updates they don’t really need it. Their wipers and auto high beams work great from the start. Why can’t Tesla get that right when delivered? Why are these not good to begin with? It’s like they are selling you a half baked product that they will fix later. Same with some of the user interface, my X7 doesn’t need an update for anything because it works right out of the box and my Plaid still can’t do “favorites” well after two years.

With that said, between a BMW and Tesla, I would take the refreshed S every time. The BMW looks terrible IMO

Just wish BMW’s get better range. i5 is a range disappointment, which is really too bad. Why are people comparing the i4 to the Model S? i5 is the comparison to the Model S. i4 would be a Model 3.

Just wish BMW’s get better range. i5 is a range disappointment, which is really too bad. Why are people comparing the i4 to the Model S? i5 is the comparison to the Model S. i4 would be a Model 3.
Yes, the range is a big disappointment for sure.

After a long search, I've landed on the I5 over the MSLR or Plaid.

I'm not as negative as some. Personally, I think all of these new cars are amazing. The i5, MS, Lucid, I7, EQS, Taycan, and e-tron are all great in different areas. I would not fault anyone for choosing one over the other.

For me, I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of innovation with Tesla in certain key areas. Yes, their raw speed, battery and SC network is all great. But, they are lacking in the moderately important tech features. HUD, ambient lighting, overhead parking display, and software. These things (plus I really hate the button horn) and the overall refinement won out. Really, the SC network would have been the main reason I would have went with Tesla. But, I only do long drives a couple of times a year, and I am hoping for new charging options soon. I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't add some of these key features. It feels like they are falling behind.

Reactions: DBV1 and teko