Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S/X yoke controls owners survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was lying. My car was made February 2022 and according to the service tech the other day, it doesn't have the ability to engage a horn under the airbag.
This thread seems to confirm what the service tech was saying:

Reactions: mr10012
This thread seems to confirm what the service tech was saying:
Yes, this seems to settle it... tl;dr: elon tweeted in March 2022 that all yoke cars produced after November 2021 could get "center push" horn via software update, but there seems to be no hardware switch under the airbag to support that, which explains why we haven't seen it.

So center horn doesn't seem likely to happen unless Tesla figures out how to use the cabin facing camera to "see" you hitting the center of the yoke. I don't think the yoke is in the field of view of the camera, so it likely would have to conclude that is what you are trying to do based on a combination of the data from the AP cameras and your frustrated or scared facial expression. Maybe the microphone can chip in some relevant audio data. Or a swingy "bang" gesture could be required, which the camera could see. Sort of how we got auto wipers on the S/X after Tesla deleted the rain sensor... /s

• Funny
Reactions: Mark II
On the horn press - I suspect they might require new crash testing since it touches on how the airbag works. Seems silly, but there may not be a choice and this costs millions to perform. Anyway, one logical reason why it hasn't shown up. Then again, the airbag horn press might just not work as expected and a new design is needed.

Not to defend Elon "lying" but he said it "could get", not "will get". Big difference. His statement is still valid and not a lie. Still, I would like the horn press feature, but it's low on my list. I use the horn once or twice a year, and not all that important even then. I've needed it once with the Yoke and didn't have any problem using the "hand mash" to activate the horn.

On the horn press - I suspect they might require new crash testing since it touches on how the airbag works. Seems silly, but there may not be a choice and this costs millions to perform. Anyway, one logical reason why it hasn't shown up. Then again, the airbag horn press might just not work as expected and a new design is needed.
The thread linked by @Mark II has a video that shows both steering wheel and yoke disassembled. The airbag assemblies seem similar, but the steering wheel version has two pressure-activated switches behind it, which make contact when you press the center of the wheel, and thus can activate the horn. There are no such switches in the yoke version (at least the one taken apart in that video). It could be that what Musk meant is that cars made after November 2021 have the switches, but someone with a 2022 car reported in that thread that he took out the airbag (it is fairly easy) and there was nothing behind.

Reactions: vcor and Mark II
For me, the Yoke has Pros and Cons.

Pro...It really opens up the cabin. Much better sight lines, especially for drivers display.
More room for your legs. Easier in and out.
No more stalks adds to the open feeling of the cabin, and reduces clutter.
Easier hand positioning on the Yoke. Can more easily rest your fingers on a spoke to keep autopilot nags away.
Has a more modern look and sets the car apart from others.

Con... It is slightly more difficult to use for fast turns.
Takes some time to get used to the buttons instead of the stalks.
Horn harder to find in an emergency. Same with flashing lights.

All in all not a biggie either way. Quickly got used to the Yoke and now cars with big steering wheels feels kinda old fashioned.

Reactions: SDRick and MikeKFE
re: the horn....I discovered, quite by happy accident, that I can honk the horn with the palm of my hand...like the old style horns. You just have to palm the yoke in the right place. Much better than trying to hit it with my thumb! Not perfect, but better...imho
I like the yoke and the way it feels, but I'm still frustrated over the turn signals...frequently picking the wrong one :rolleyes:

It's funny that most of the yoke detractor's arguments come from a place of theorycraft rather than actual usage. Prior to getting our refresh X my wife and I both expected to hate it - indeed it was almost a deal-breaker for me - all based on the same armchair negatives commonly bandied about (turning at low speeds, lack of drive by wire, lack of physical buttons and stalks, etc etc).

Six months down the line I can definitively say I like the yoke and my wife wouldn't go back to a traditional wheel even when I offered to install the Hansshow aftermarket wheel.

It's funny that most of the yoke detractor's arguments come from a place of theorycraft rather than actual usage.
I was ready to sell my car at a profit (at the time) and get the refreshed S. A weekend with a friend’s refreshed S confirmed my concerns. Happy to have one of the last Ravens.

Yoke is an interesting idea for a non-track car but their implementation is very, very weird.

I was ready to sell my car at a profit (at the time) and get the refreshed S. A weekend with a friend’s refreshed S confirmed my concerns. Happy to have one of the last Ravens.

Yoke is an interesting idea for a non-track car but their implementation is very, very weird.

Everyone is of course entitled to his/her own preferences but if you had asked me about the yoke one week after delivery I would've unequivocally told you that I prefer a traditional steering wheel. Since I was primed to dislike the yoke, my initial experience became a self-fulfilling prophecy as I actively looked for the cons while overlooking the pros. It wasn't until a few weeks later before I started coming around.

Reactions: vcor and MikeKFE
Can you share some specifics?
Mostly vehicles that you use on the race track and aircraft.

Major issue with Tesla’s implementation is that they have more than 90’ turn of the wheel which messes up everything from special awareness perspective. Also, it causes some awkward hand positions. Not commenting on the capacitive buttons or their position because that could be fixed with simple upgrades. The turning is much more difficult and requires upgrade of the steering rack (maybe that was why they did not do it). Even if they had done it I am not sure which one is more difficult to get used to - parallel parking with 90’ yoke or driving around with Tesla yoke.

The funny part is that they plan to have it on a truck :)

Everyone is of course entitled to his/her own preferences but if you had asked me about the yoke one week after delivery I would've unequivocally told you that I prefer a traditional steering wheel. Since I was primed to dislike the yoke, my initial experience became a self-fulfilling prophecy as I actively looked for the cons while overlooking the pros. It wasn't until a few weeks later before I started coming around.
My main issue (after 3+ weeks) is not so much with the yoke itself as with the horn and turn signals. The turn signal buttons are a pain to use with gloves or when the yoke is turned (e.g., when exiting a roundabout) as they require looking to find them. I am afraid if I need to honk in an emergency, especially while turning, the horn button would be a problem too. I think compact stalks could have been designed for a better compromise between form and function than the yoke buttons, and I have the nagging thought this wasn't done to save $100 on $100K+ vehicles...

My main issue (after 3+ weeks) is not so much with the yoke itself as with the horn and turn signals. The turn signal buttons are a pain to use with gloves or when the yoke is turned (e.g., when exiting a roundabout) as they require looking to find them. I am afraid if I need to honk in an emergency, especially while turning, the horn button would be a problem too. I think compact stalks could have been designed for a better compromise between form and function than the yoke buttons, and I have the nagging thought this wasn't done to save $100 on $100K+ vehicles...
After +7 months I am still not used to it, especially the turn signals and horn. Muscle memory does not work for turn signals because, as you say, they keep moving. Muscle memory might work for people that hit the horn all the time, however in my case I have only hit it a few times in the last few months, and each time I hit the middle of the yoke. It takes a moment to realize why it is not working, since I am actively trying to avoid an accident, I then try smashing the right side of the yoke, and it works about 50% of the time. Since smashing the right side is really about accidently pressing the horn buttons. Terrible design, to save a few $.

Since smashing the right side is really about accidently pressing the horn buttons. Terrible design, to save a few $.
“The right side” is a very relative term for something that is turning :) That is the main issue with the yoke.

I am not sure if cost savings is the main reason. Lately, I see hubris/religion in their strategic direction - yoke, Tesla Vision, etc.

Reactions: Mark II and mr10012
On the X forum there are two people claiming the service center has told them a new yoke design is imminent. Anyone heard anything more on that?
Are you possibly referring to the optional wheel vs. Yoke, a choice I just learned is now available (for both S and X) when ordering new?
The problem is that it is a wheel only, and still uses the stalk-less control set-up. To me, and I think to many others, the more problematic part of the Yoke design is the poor controls set-up resulting from removal of all the stalks.