Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh X Issues - Why is it Taking So Long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between the 2019 and the 2023 (refresh) there is LOT missing display and software wise with the refresh and I'm kind pissed that Tesla has not fixed/updated their deficiencies yet. It's been over a year and crickets.

-Energy screen in front of driver GONE!

-WATTS PER MILE # ONLY on TRIPS screen not even on energy screen.

-Right hand controls for temp/fan/etc GONE

-AUTOPILOT follow distance ONLY changeable in main control screen.

-Audio/Radio/Entertainment pop up screen ALWAYS on screen. You CANNOT GET RID OF IT!

-Unlock car in app. Will NOT allow open the doors by their door handles unless you open them singly in the app or on screen first. The only time the door handles unlock/open is AFTER the door has been opened by the app first regardless of Lock icon.

-The Green/Gray consumption/regen line is barely visible at the bottom of the drivers screen.

-Got 3mo FSD but it's unavailable. I think it's because the car software is newer than the FSD version. I don't know but Tesla should work this issue out as it was their sales promo that I got with the car.

Other than that the car is GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!

-stew

Between the 2019 and the 2023 (refresh) there is LOT missing display and software wise with the refresh and I'm kind pissed that Tesla has not fixed/updated their deficiencies yet. It's been over a year and crickets.

-Energy screen in front of driver GONE!
Agree. I really miss this one too, It could take care of the missing Wh/mile and the gray/green energy bar, you mention below. It could be made much more space efficient than the circular graph used in Legacy models, but I really would like to have energy consumption continuously available.
-WATTS PER MILE # ONLY on TRIPS screen not even on energy screen.
Agree
-Right hand controls for temp/fan/etc GONE
I have two sets of temp/fan on my 22. Always has been there. without it, how could you set separate temps for driver and passenger?
-AUTOPILOT follow distance ONLY changeable in main control screen.
Agree, but I hardly ever touch it.
-Audio/Radio/Entertainment pop up screen ALWAYS on screen. You CANNOT GET RID OF IT!
There are three different screen setups for Media: Two thirds screen with whatever source you have selected (varies by source); full height with roughly one quarter of the screen displaying favorites, recent, up next and so forth; very small floating player widget. I thought there was a way to completely hide the media interface, but I can't find it. All of these can be positioned on either side of the display
-Unlock car in app. Will NOT allow open the doors by their door handles unless you open them singly in the app or on screen first. The only time the door handles unlock/open is AFTER the door has been opened by the app first regardless of Lock icon.
Make sure you have door unlock mode set to unlock all doors, and not driver door only.
-The Green/Gray consumption/regen line is barely visible at the bottom of the drivers screen.
I will add one of my own.
How come I cannot change the position of Blind Spot camera display during turn signals? I want it near the top of the display. Much closer to my sight line when looking in the rear view mirror. I can do that in my 2019 Model 3 (and I assume the Y), but not in my 2022 X (and probably the S).

Reactions: GazUK67
I have two sets of temp/fan on my 22. Always has been there. without it, how could you set separate temps for driver and passenger?

DCGOO, You are correct about the 2 temp settings on the main screen. I'm talking about in the Pre-Refresh S/X's you could have full control of the climate/temp/fan speed through the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and it would show on the right side of drivers screen where the power graph shows. After REFRESH - GONE!

I just got a software update from 2023.12.300 to 2023.20.7 - no changes in anything above.

I don't know if this was a "feature" in the new update or a left over from previous but if you set the DISPLAY APPEARANCE to DARK the only map you can see is the colored topo map, not the grayed map. I guess we add it to the list.

Well, it gives me something to look forward to.

-stew

I am fairly certain they are there but they only appear if you have a passenger? Doesn't it do that for you? This is with 2023.20.7.
Leek4u, Nope, they are GONE.

I'm talking about the the full control of a lot of functions in the Pre-Refresh X using the right hand controls on the steering wheel that displayed on the right side of the display in front of the driver. All of that is gone in the refresh.

-stew

I'm talking about the the full control of a lot of functions in the Pre-Refresh X using the right hand controls on the steering wheel that displayed on the right side of the display in front of the driver. All of that is gone in the refresh.

-stew
Ok I didn't know we were missing more! I thought you meant the temperature control at the bottom right of the screen for the passenger than now appears only if there is a passenger. Only have experience with the 2023s.

2023 refresh X April build, still looking for some of the pre-refresh software features. Software updates coming s l o w .

Looking for some obvious features that just aren't there:
1. Consumption tab on energy graph.
2. Watts-per-mile displayed on energy graph and not just under trips.
3. Allow removal of radio station pop-up from main screen. Right now IT'S ALWAYS THERE!!!
4. Allow to MOVE blinker display on main screen anywhere on screen.
5. When drivers door opens you have to force it open beyond a point b4 it is easy to open by hand. You have to fight it before it gives in and says "all right, you win, I'll let you open the door."
6. If you unlock the car in the app why don't the door handles work? You have to open each door singly from the app b4 the door handles work. All is good then until you re-lock the car or restart it then it starts all over again!

Pet peeves on all Tesla cars!
1. Why are there blind spots when looking in the side view mirrors? For pete's sake this is a TESLA in 2023. I don't want to have to turn my blinker on and look at the big screen to see if someone is in my blind spot I want to look in my side mirror and see them.

One can only hope...

-stew

Reactions: gbertsch
Adjust the side rear view mirrors better? Not to be a smart ass but I have never had any problems with Tesla or any cars side rear view mirrors. They are adjustable so adjust them to cover the blind spot for your seating position.

5. When drivers door opens you have to force it open beyond a point b4 it is easy to open by hand. You have to fight it before it gives in and says "all right, you win, I'll let you open the door."
6. If you unlock the car in the app why don't the door handles work? You have to open each door singly from the app b4 the door handles work. All is good then until you re-lock the car or restart it then it starts all over again!

Re: 5) My 2017 still does this sometimes. I understand your complaint that they STILL don't have automatic doors working right without the radar or whatever (and agree it is a legitimate complaint), but I think the workaround is to wait a few seconds before trying to open the door the rest of the way, or move it back toward closed slightly and then open it with ease. I don't remember which because I usually just force mine (they don't take near as much force as they used to), but doing something to bypass the force used to be a muscle memory for me.

Re: 6) Doesn't sound like you're unlocking the doors from the app (even if it says you are). This could be a "known issue the engineers are working on that will be fixed in an update," but I wonder if you have it set to driver door mode and changing it to ALL would allow you to open the doors you're trying to open. For reference, I can only unlock my driver door from the app because I have this mode set, and it has been that way since 2017 as well. It could also be related to the "fix" for some driver door only model 3 bug, because, while I don't remember the details, ever since that "fix" came out, I literally can't unlock all the doors from the fob and have to open them each individually (even though unlocking a door other than the driver door from a fob has clearly meant I'm not only unlocking only one door since at least the early 90s if not the late 80s).

-stew
There are options to customize the buttons/long press and temperature is one of the options that you can select - or you can have it set up to prompt what you want the button to do each time.

Surely not every engineer at Tesla is working on FSD. These seem like easy UI updates—S/X are feeling overlooked!

I’m sure there’s regulatory hurdles (looking at you NHTSA), but it would be cool if certain non-critical features were open sourced and able to be modified by the consumer (similar to the horn sounds in Arcade).

Last edited: