Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on my 5 seater LR X since last January. Original plan was it was the replacement for my wife's RX, but she wanted to drive it for a month before she committed to it... if she didn't like it, I'd take it to replace my 2014 model S, and she'd get another RX. If she liked it, I'd sell my S and get either a 3, S or S Plaid. We both knew she'd love the X and the most likely plan was she'd get an X, and I'd see the reviews on the Plaid S when it comes out and probably order one.

I highly doubt they care... but we decided to send a message to Tesla. A year of being lied to and/or ignored and enough is enough. We decided the second car would not be a Tesla due to how piss poor Tesla has handled the model X rollout with us... a year from our initial 3 month order, and we still have no end in sight. This past weekend decided to pick up a Porsche Taycan Turbo S for my car.

We're on a wait a see as far as what to do with the X. I think in the back of our mind my wife and I realize odds are we aren't seeing the X any time soon. I would say July is the most likely if I had to guess, but October is much more likely than the Feb/March they have repeatedly told us (and not talking about just the EDD, we've been told by two humans at Tesla we will definitely get it in Q1). Wife still wants to hold out a bit more since we've been waiting this long and she really would like the X. But at some point you treat a customer bad enough, and they leave. The "it will be worth it once you get it" is crap. The most likely scenario I see is they burn through the 6 seater orders with zero regard for how long I've been in the queue. Then they will decide to officially cancel the 5 seater, and I'll be given the option to cancel the order or move to a 6 seater. So basically back to the same spot we were in October when they offered it to me, except this time it 6-9 months later, people who ordered significantly after me getting the car significantly before me, and I'm being forced to switch because they didn't have the foresight to be honest with reality. But that's Tesla. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and I'll get that 5 seater in mid March as promised. The annoying thing is it should be easy to tell right, simple question "Elon: does Tesla currently have in stock any 3 seat benches for the 5/7 seat model X, or are there any that have been manufactured by your supplier and are en route to Fremont for production in the next 4-6 weeks". By now that answer should be known internally. Communicate with your customers and be honest.

I've also referred 4 people officially to Tesla through there referral program, and told countless others about how much we loved the model S and the buying experience then. Thats gone. Anyone asks at this point, and we're still more than happy to share the experience but lets just say it won't be a recommendation/referral. It will be a "Tesla could give a rat's ass about their customers and are a poorly run company who came up with a good product".

So starts the journey to our endgame. Shame because it didn't have to be this way. It just amazes me the choices Tesla has made. I still hope they manage to get us our X, but at this point I really don't see it happening, but my wife is willing to give them one last shot.
I'm glad you made your thoughts known. Hopefully they'll pay attention to these customer details soon.

More Proof !!! Wife has good sense to order LR....

Hang tough! The LR is the better choice for the reasons you said, plus a smoother ride...
Why a smoother ride? Is there a suspension difference or are you assuming 22" vs 20"? I ordered my Plaid w/ 20". I want stupidly fast AND a smooth ride!

So I was driving by some random area in NJ and just stumbled upon a refreshed MX sitting on a truck, but not one of the big delivery trucks that you see at the factory….. no plates on the car and the truck was just sitting on the side of the road with no driver. This wasn’t anywhere near a SC, probably 30+ miles away from the nearest…… I was thinking maybe a home delivery, but aren’t those usually done by an SA driving the car?
Depends on the distance. Out here in flyover country, our Model S came from Kansas City and was on a small truck (though it was an enclosed trailer).

Is anyone nervous about taking delivery now when the 4680 batteries seem imminent? My Plaid delivery is slated for March but I can’t help but wonder whether waiting a couple more months might be worthwhile.
4680s for S/X are YEARS away. They are doing 4680s for Y now, then CT, Semi, Roadster, etc. Tesla will want to get the maximum usage out of the existing battery lines in Nevada. Those cells get cheaper every day - Tesla will not switch the S/X until time for its next overall model refresh.

Now I am wondering about these rumored improved headlights and taillights. That may be worth waiting a few months for (and would be introduced mid-production since I would bet it's a drop-in replacement) but I don't have any more info. Are they Europe only?

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
I’m about to do the same. There’s never really an update and we all just waste our time here rehashing the same old thing.

But to answer your question, no not really. People started getting EDD’s that indicate a 4 day window. But IMO, it’s no better than “March.” They just roll the window forward daily instead of rolling the months forward monthly. Lipstick on a pig.

Other than that, the usual. Handful of VINners, someone got to jump the line and got a VIN, delivery defects but the car is amazing, mostly Plaids delivered, etc.
How does one cope with a 3 or 4 day window? i mean, not in major Calif city or even Calif. depending on time of year, I’m either 250 or 700 miles for delivery center, thanks to the State not allowing mail or dealers, or some pertinent autos like rental cars, to be sold in the State. can everyone except me drop everything and work out logistics at the drop of a hat? Causing me great anxiety and not even sure when, what month, I’m going to have to deal with this minuscule window of opportunity. Absurd and sooooo discourteous. How much warning for from VIN? I can’t get credit union loan application or insurance application until VIN, let alone shop around for either. I’ll be in tears before this deal is done.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Since I declined the 2021 model X LR, the vin disappeared in my account, and my Edd changed to February 2-6, I already paid in full, they said they will find me a new building car soon.

Ignore the EDD. Frankly if the X was in good condition, model year didn't matter until you sell it and even then.... The alignment of panels, build quality and finish are a gamble.

I took delivery of a 2016 S in December and had option for 2017 but it never mattered to Tesla back then and while some unsophisticated buyers might not notice, Tesla doesn't seem to care with trade ins.

So I haven't left and won't leave this forum for a while. I truly appreciate everyone putting up with my silly sadness as we all waited (and some are still waiting MUCH longer than me) for our MXs. So here is what's happened:

- I received a text saying I had a VIN, to please finish all of the tasks such as providing insurance and payment.
- I called Tesla and told them to switch my account from cash payment to loan and take off FSD. They changed the loan part but the FSD part is still there. Not sure how long it takes to come off.
- I entered my bank info for the loan and submitted it. Also submitted my trade-in (M3 LR which so far has a 35K offer from GiveMeTheVIN. Taking it to CarMax tomorrow).
- I called back and asked if I wasn't able to be here next week, how long could they hold it for me. They said 72 hours is policy. If I don't come pick it up when THEY are ready and 72 hours pass, the car is going to someone else here in Houston. So now trying to figure things out . Maybe do a power of attorney to have my in-laws pick it up (but they don't know Teslas and will suck at inspecting it).
- Insurance isn't cheap. Gonna continue to shop.

Ordered 1/27/21
LR | White Ext | Black Int | 22"
My RN is RN1144194XX
My new VIN is 7SAXCBE51NF3321XX
Odometer reads 33 miles according to MVPA.

- I called back and asked if I wasn't able to be here next week, how long could they hold it for me. They said 72 hours is policy. If I don't come pick it up when THEY are ready and 72 hours pass, the car is going to someone else here in Houston. So now trying to figure things out . Maybe do a power of attorney to have my in-laws pick it up (but they don't know Teslas and will suck at inspecting it).
- Insurance isn't cheap. Gonna continue to shop.
Don't you hate that they're so strict on picking up the car within 72 hours? I told them I was going to be on business travel for 6 weeks and they said by law in MA both registrants must be present. I had to remove myself off of everything and only put my wife's name on there.

In MA the point system goes as follows and we call it "steps"
Step:

Both my wife and I are Step 98 drivers. We both have 1 speeding ticket each that was 5 years ago. It won't fall off until it hits the 6 year mark.

Our current annual insurance premium: $2,276, now it has inflated to $4,035.