Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I think we probably have to walk away from the profit margin conspiracy theories. Its just too easy to disprove. FSD is 100% profit margin for them and they do not appear to be giving priority to FSD cars. Also in general, while there are some outliers they don't appear to be giving priority to newer orders over pre-refresh prices. The Plaid has priority over the LR. While I don't like it (and especially to the extent they appear to be taking it... I could see a 3 month difference, but not the 6-9 month difference) I sorta get it. For LR 6 seater has absolute priority because they aren't doing 5 and 7. I don't think that has to do with profit margin as I assume the profit margin on the 7 is better than the 6.

If you want to argue, to me the best argument's are:

1) Tesla knowingly sold cars to people (pre-refresh) which were no longer being manufactured, and a price they knew they wouldn't honor and with a delivery date they knew they could not honor.

2) Tesla "upgraded" a series of 5/7 preorders to 6 seater for an additional cost with a promise of delivery by end of the year, they did not meet this deadline in many cases and no longer appear to be taking this promise seriously, even though they will be taking peoples money

3) Through the X fiasco Tesla has repeatidly provided extremely optomistic to knowingly false delivery estimates to customers, and continue to do so.

4) Tesla has failed to proactively communicate with model X orders, and when the customer contact them little to know information is given.

5) Tesla currently has a large number of people who have been waiting over a year for a car that was promised to them in 2-3 months, and not as a pre-order but as part of a routine production build. In many cases right now the best Tesla is willing to do is "Maybe July". Pre-refresh people were promised to be in a priority queue and get the "first ones out" and clearly this is not the case. Clearly a year (and looking at 18 months) is not acceptable... does Tesla acknowledge this situation and are they doing anything specific to remedy it and when should these people expect their cars?

6) It is not clear Tesla is commited to the 5/7 seater LR configuration short, medium or long term. The expectation of most is they are kicking the can down the road hoping the "3 seat bench fairy" arrives before they burn through a reasonable number of 6 seater backlog, at which point they will force 5/7 seater customers to the 6 seat configuration. Is Tesla committed to full-filling 5/7 seat orders in the short term, and if so when should we expect them. If not, when will Tesla be informing customers they need to switch, and will they raise prices on the 5 seater people to "upgrade" to a configuration many find inferior.

No need for conspiracy theories on profit margin... the above are much more damning. Its not about profit, its about neglect.
On The Other Hand,
How would folks feel If Tesla continued to make and deliver legacy vehicles up until the refresh vehicles were ready to go? I submit this forum would be filled with folks screaming “Hey, I bought one just last month, and now you come out with something wildly better, with no notice?” The nearly two year hole in manufacturing, leaves no doubt that new is better.

I am in line for a 5 passenger, ordered last July. So I am the bunch with a July EDD, anxiously waiting. But I am pleased that I will eventually get the most modern vehicle, and not “last year’s model.” I am guessing that Tesla decided the incoming flak due to lack of availability, is far better than the flak from delivering vehicles with an obsolete design.

if your situation is such that you literally cannot wait (for real), you should probably should go with something else. I am no happier than anyone else with the delays, but replacing my existing X is not critical to daily life for me. My only issue is my current X is within 3,000 miles of falling out of warranty. I guess I’ll just have to be careful.

To hedge my bet a little, I did also order a Model Y. But I suspect (hope) I’ll get the X first.

Reactions: focher and Stro
It is not as you have to enter the pool again and go through the safety crap again. So I'm hoping I make it in this weekend as I'm sitting on 99.
someone once found an email of Tesla's and was able to successfully get beta transferred to the new car. maybe the email from way back when when we inquired if we could enter the beta program?

• Informative
Reactions: Stro
someone once found an email of Tesla's and was able to successfully get beta transferred to the new car. maybe the email from way back when when we inquired if we could enter the beta program?
That did happen and it was made known by @DirtyT3sla in his videos. Unfortunately for us it was done before implementation of the safety score system when there were a very limited number of invited beta testers.

• Informative
Reactions: Stro
That did happen and it was made known by @DirtyT3sla in his videos. Unfortunately for us it was done before implementation of the safety score system when there were a very limited number of invited beta testers.
So if you have a vehicle that's in the beta program and you add another vehicle keeping the existing one you still have to play the score card game? Or do they excel you forward into beta with the new vehicle?

Honestly, I think we probably have to walk away from the profit margin conspiracy theories. Its just too easy to disprove. FSD is 100% profit margin for them and they do not appear to be giving priority to FSD cars. Also in general, while there are some outliers they don't appear to be giving priority to newer orders over pre-refresh prices. The Plaid has priority over the LR. While I don't like it (and especially to the extent they appear to be taking it... I could see a 3 month difference, but not the 6-9 month difference) I sorta get it. For LR 6 seater has absolute priority because they aren't doing 5 and 7. I don't think that has to do with profit margin as I assume the profit margin on the 7 is better than the 6.

If you want to argue, to me the best argument's are:

1) Tesla knowingly sold cars to people (pre-refresh) which were no longer being manufactured, and a price they knew they wouldn't honor and with a delivery date they knew they could not honor.

2) Tesla "upgraded" a series of 5/7 preorders to 6 seater for an additional cost with a promise of delivery by end of the year, they did not meet this deadline in many cases and no longer appear to be taking this promise seriously, even though they will be taking peoples money

3) Through the X fiasco Tesla has repeatidly provided extremely optomistic to knowingly false delivery estimates to customers, and continue to do so.

4) Tesla has failed to proactively communicate with model X orders, and when the customer contact them little to know information is given.

5) Tesla currently has a large number of people who have been waiting over a year for a car that was promised to them in 2-3 months, and not as a pre-order but as part of a routine production build. In many cases right now the best Tesla is willing to do is "Maybe July". Pre-refresh people were promised to be in a priority queue and get the "first ones out" and clearly this is not the case. Clearly a year (and looking at 18 months) is not acceptable... does Tesla acknowledge this situation and are they doing anything specific to remedy it and when should these people expect their cars?

6) It is not clear Tesla is commited to the 5/7 seater LR configuration short, medium or long term. The expectation of most is they are kicking the can down the road hoping the "3 seat bench fairy" arrives before they burn through a reasonable number of 6 seater backlog, at which point they will force 5/7 seater customers to the 6 seat configuration. Is Tesla committed to full-filling 5/7 seat orders in the short term, and if so when should we expect them. If not, when will Tesla be informing customers they need to switch, and will they raise prices on the 5 seater people to "upgrade" to a configuration many find inferior.

No need for conspiracy theories on profit margin... the above are much more damning. Its not about profit, its about neglect.
Very well said. Maybe add another point:

Tesla proactively made their own forum read only early last year, anticipating the backlash they knew they would cause with all the aforementioned tactics (ie, they knew their timelines were false, yet they fed them to customers anyhow to keep them captive and to prevent cancellations).

Wall charger wired for 60A circuit is 50% faster than NEMA 14-50. With a 100KW battery, you want to the faster speed..
I don’t think that’s true… it’s only about 20% faster…. The difference is 48amp vs. 40amp to the battery… that will give you about 5-7 more MPH to your battery at best.

1645888413793.png

The speed difference is neglible on a 100kw battery, it all comes down to aesthetics… whether you want the nice clean look of the HPWC and the software updates.

I don’t think that’s true… it’s only about 20% faster…. The difference is 48amp vs. 40amp to the battery… that will give you about 5-7 more MPH to your battery at best.

View attachment 774016

The speed difference is neglible on a 100kw battery, it all comes down to aesthetics… whether you want the nice clean look of the HPWC and the software updates.
Afraid you are on old data.

You are assuming the older Gen 1 Nema 14-50 mobile adaptor which hasn't been produced for over 3 years. All Nema 14-50's that are/were included with Tesla's since 2018 are the Gen 2 model which maxes out at 32A, even on a 50A circuit. 50% faster is correct. Look at last column in your chart. 20mph vs 30 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: Jdcleary
So if you have a vehicle that's in the beta program and you add another vehicle keeping the existing one you still have to play the score card game? Or do they excel you forward into beta with the new vehicle?
You have to go through the opting in and safety score crap again.

I just emailed them earlier and have over 200 miles logged with a 99 score. Let’s see what happens.

Afraid you are on old data.

You are assuming the older Gen 1 Nema 14-50 mobile adaptor which hasn't been produced for over 3 years. All Nema 14-50's that are/were included with Tesla's since 2018 are the Gen 2 model which maxes out at 32A, even on a 50A circuit. 50% faster is correct. Look at last column in your chart. 20mph vs 30 mph.
You are correct if using the gen 2 connector. I was working under the assumption that folks would pick up a gen 1 or another solution that will max them out at 40….. but you’re probably right most people will just use what comes with the car….