Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new EV tax credit proposal yesterday, MYP qualified (SUV under 69K). We are seriously thinking about getting the Y now and to take delivery after 1/1/22 to qualify.
If you're talking about the US remember income cutoff of 400k and Tesla would only be eligible for $2500 credit not the 12,500 bc they don't use union workers. Lastly pretty sure Y would fall under car not truck price cut off of 55k not 74k.

"The bill says individual taxpayers must have an adjusted gross income of no more than $400,000 to get the new EV tax credit. It would limit the EV credit to cars priced at no more than $55,000, while trucks could be priced up to $74,000."

@neo1738 The article you quoted didn’t spell it out. There is a part of the bill that specifically said SUV for 69K. Also, Tesla get $7500 plus another 500 for the battery.
Not sure what I missed but here is the information. Bigger credit only if made with union labor and that is 12,500, otherwise down to 7,500 but again with limits based on income. The senate had a non binding agreement to limit credits to income of 100k. My point is I wouldn't hold out hope of getting that 7500. Most ppl who can afford a model x are going to be over 100k income.

Not sure what I missed but here is the information. Bigger credit only if made with union labor and that is 12,500, otherwise down to 7,500 but again with limits based on income. The senate had a non binding agreement to limit credits to income of 100k. My point is I wouldn't hold out hope of getting that 7500. Most ppl who can afford a model x are going to be over 100k income.

Income limit is 400K for single (not 100K) and 800K for family. Dems propose new $12,500 electric car rebate, Tesla left with $4,500 disadvantage

Bottom line, Tesla gets $8,000 (7500+500 for battery made in US). Model Y is qualified, most likely, as SUV, making it another 8K cheaper.

Just went to the dark side and ordered MY. Figure I get in line before the crowd. Current estimate is Feb and at this rate I might get the MY before the MX.

If the bill pass as-is, Tesla is going to have less demand til next year where people that can wait will wait til after Jan 1st. I am guessing they will have to throw in some free FSD to entice people like me to take delivery before next year.

I would take the Plaid S. Worse case scenario your X actually comes in January and you sell your Plaid S for exactly what you paid - or more.
Only would happen if you sold privately I’ve already gotten the amounts you would receive for a brand new S Plaid. $91,500 from tesla or $97,000 from vroom and thats brand new. Add 5-10K miles and you lookin at a whole lot less. Unless one is up for the legwork of selling privately

I believe when the 2022 refreshed Model X is finally released it will have somethings that's new not yet seen or mentioned just to stay 2 steps in head of Lucid. Musk drop the mic moment..
Aren't the newbies cute in their wide-eyed optimism? 😇 For those of us who have been here a while, I will be thrilled if the software works, the panels are aligned, the mirrors don't vibrate while driving, and the front grill doesn't have any dents in it.

Musk has broken all the mics - there are no more to drop. Semi, Roadster, CT, ATV, MX Plaid, robot. The list of things that Elon has promised and has yet to deliver is quite long.

Income limit is 400K for single (not 100K) and 800K for family. Dems propose new $12,500 electric car rebate, Tesla left with $4,500 disadvantage

Bottom line, Tesla gets $8,000 (7500+500 for battery made in US). Model Y is qualified, most likely, as SUV, making it another 8K cheaper.
My point is it won’t pass as written bc Senate won’t approve as written. “Last month, the Senate in a non-binding amendment narrowly voted in favour of prohibiting taxpayers from claiming EV tax credits if they make more than $100,000 annually or if vehicles cost more than $40,000.”

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Aren't the newbies cute in their wide-eyed optimism? 😇 For those of us who have been here a while, I will be thrilled if the software works, the panels are aligned, the mirrors don't vibrate while driving, and the front grill doesn't have any dents in it.

Musk has broken all the mics - there are no more to drop. Semi, Roadster, CT, ATV, MX Plaid, robot. The list of things that Elon has promised and has yet to deliver is quite long.
Careful, you may be called a hater in certain company.