Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery guy almost took a header in my driveway not seeing my Tesla Wall Connector cable.
Just picked this up to save on Home Owners Lawsuits. I bought 2 for my 18' cable.
Not an endorsement just sharing some wisdom.

Attachments

• Image 4-7-22 at 3.46 PM.jpg
    Image 4-7-22 at 3.46 PM.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    767.9 KB · Views: 88
When I received my new MX, I noticed that my range wasn’t the “advertised” range. I have a MXLR with 22” Wheels. According to the website, my out of the box estimated range should be 330 until it learns my habits and such. Great. Well, it showed a max of 315. That’s 4.5% loss without having driven the vehicle. I was told that service center would take care of it.

Well, after getting my service appointment pushed back 4 times, I was finally seen a few days ago. The outcome was that they claim it’s normal and that I needed to be educated on how range works as the vehicle has adapted to my driving habits. The minute I read that, I went up to the desk and asked how Tesla could possibly know my driving habits on the new X if I had never stepped foot in it before seeing this range. The lady claimed she’d talk to the mechanic the next day and get back to me. That call never came. I’ve called Tesla twice now and been told it is what it is.

It's they that needs to be educated or they've been given a script that perpetuates a lie. That number will never change based on driving habits. It's the RATED range display that the EPA requires be present and is strictly based on a constant determined by the EPA test loop and the BMS's current estimate of it's capacity in kwh.

Every single MXLR with 22" wheels will display 315 mile on a 100% charge before battery degradation takes it's toll. They are using a different constant than the EPA set and different than what they're product page claims.

The 2020 MY that I had got nowhere near Tesla claimed range. Tesla always over estimates and uses 100% battery capacity in that estimate. Other manufacturers under estimate and only use a safe portion of the battery (~85%). Really makes me think, why am I buying another Tesla...

My lifetime mileage of 134k on my P85DL was 305 wh / mile which beat the rated range of 310 wh / mile.

Reactions: gglockner
I'm here. The car is back in service to see if they can fix some of the simpler things. That said, the car is nearly perfect by comparison to the one from last Thursday. The spoiler has a small corner nick on the inside. Some alignment issues I'm sure will be fixable. They're doing what they can for some of them here but it will probably require a service appointment. Since it's virtually guaranteed that I'll have to book a service appointment for yet undiscovered things within the first 100 miles or even malfunctions after that, I'm fine waiting for the rest of the issues until then.
Glad to hear the car is in good shape! Software is changeable, physical problems are harder. Were you able to catch what software version your car was running? Maybe they were able to push a newer version to you at the factory that actually does fix the problems? /me crosses fingers....

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
No trips? I thought they were still in the settings?
Thanks, my bad. If you select the car on the bottom left of the display and select Trips, you see the Wh/mi lifetime and for the A/B trips. (With 317 miles of driving, I'm getting 304 Wh/mi for a range of 328 miles ... woot!). However, what is gone is the following:
  • You can't configure the dashboard to show the trip information
  • There is no energy graph - not on the dashboard nor the main display

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
I just asked my 2021+ field model XLR to drive me out to Gigafactory Austin after a quick 250 watt supercharge ( Charged at 1000 miles an hour when I was at 20% ) in Austin. Surprisingly, there was no traffic, no other uninvited party goers like me.
When I got down Tesla Road there were just a lot of gardeners putting in hundreds of fancy plants and grass around the outskirts of one of the biggest super modern looking buildings I have ever seen, right in the middle of a sleepy 2 lane road agricultural area. No Ferris wheel or food trucks from this angle at least.
I continued up the road to the employee parking lot entrance, stopped at a ramshackle guard booth and finally a cute gal came out and I asked if un-invited guests like me could do anything here tomorrow? She politely apologized and said no, the party is just for invitees. I told her lots of us have cars, solar etc and would like to join in the fun but alas she said no. So I told her I will make a U turn past the booth and I drove back past the employee cars and a field of model Y inventory car parked in a big lot, past the gardeners, and back to my hotel.
One other thing about this, my first long trip in my new Model X. Very late last night as I neared my hotel in the darkness, an older pickup truck with a couple of guys in it came alongside honking its horn at me. I rolled my window down thinking they might want to race at the light or something. Instead they asked me if my X was in one of the new secret paint colors! It was pretty dark, and I think those boys had killed a few beers.
I replied, “It’s a secret! Wait until Thursday!”
They were seen driving off after taking LOTS of pictures in the dark of my 2021+ field Model X LR RED/CREAM! That’s the report from near Gigafactory Austin tonight!
1000 MPH ! Haven't had a chance yet with mine. Anyone have a record of speeds between 20%-30%-40%, up to 90% to see the slow downs at what %?

I'll be here. Working on my laptop in the delivery center waiting room. They said car would take a few hours. After that, I have to spend probably another 45 minutes masking off the front with painters tape for the 130 mile home.
Talk to me about painters tape. I will have about 500 mile drive back when I eventually get my X 5 seat, blue, standard wheels. Plan to take directly to get PPF entirely But lots of road between SC and wrapping.

Just picked up the X. It looks great. There is a minor issue of the gap being a little narrow on one of the FWDs, but other than that everything is fine. I am going to take @sorka's advice and give it a more thorough check in my garage. I only put 15 miles on it getting home, so if I find anything serious I can still take it back.

Yes but the difference can be miniscule. Car and Driver ran a Model S and Taycan side by side back in 2020 and the real world difference in range was 10 miles vs a 134 mile EPA range difference. Make of that what you will.
Porsche nicely understates their EPA, I love that. Tesla overstates which is not so good. But be wary of the car mags since they have to do homage and cater to their advertisers. Some YouTubers as well(Out of Spec is one.) Prob is, Tesla never advertises.

Last edited:
Just picked up the X. It looks great. There is a minor issue of the gap being a little narrow on one of the FWDs, but other than that everything is fine. I am going to take @sorka's advice and give it a more thorough check in my garage. I only put 15 miles on it getting home, so if I find anything serious I can still take it back.
It is probably on first ferry ride right? 🙂

Reactions: DelPhonic1