Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI, I sent a text to the generic Tesla support phone # asking and update about why Edd shows TBD. The person stated my order was on hold. The weird thing is that I never saw a hold on my account. For those that been waiting ensure you are following up with your SA to avoid any delays

My local SA told me that customers should check Trade-in section in your order. If it's expired, your order will be put in incomplete status which will delay the delivery. He suggested to remove Trade-in since it can be added later before delivery but it's up to you if you want to keep it there.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I just picked up my red MXP from Buena Park. The experience was excellent, FYI. I arrived early but did not have to wait at all. The car was spotless and no gap issues or anything I could notice to be wrong. The people were very helpful and very pleasant. It was charged to 90%.

The closest thing to an issue is that the driver side falcon door does not fully open and the center console tray does not operate as smoothly as my S Plaid. At some point I'll have service check out the door. Otherwise so far, so good.

Hope to not seeing you here complaining about issues (saying that in a good way)
Don't worry. If folks have issues we'll know about it for sure. If they don't, they usually just ride off into that proverbial wide orange Cali sunset backed by palm trees, happy as clams. I wanna be happy as a clam.

Just an FYI, I sent a text to the generic Tesla support phone # asking and update about why Edd shows TBD. The person stated my order was on hold. The weird thing is that I never saw a hold on my account. For those that been waiting ensure you are following up with your SA to avoid any delays
Interesting, did they say why it was “on hold”? What may have initiated that? I know mine and some others have TBD listed since something about the order config was changed and some people reported TBD earlier in the year when they eventually were given a date range or VIN.

I think TBD could mean a variety of things but just worried me if being TBD meant on hold and not in an active queue. I just emailed my SA to see as well to be sure.

The new taillights spotted on a freshly delivered Model X.
media_2 (1).jpg

Because they'd rather spend every single penny of that on more R&D. And I'd rather they do that as well.

I don't need to be convinced that the car is going to be good, or that it's going to eventually get built. Just build me a solid car.
Building high quality cars also requires R&D. Bad quality ultimately hurts the bottom lime due to high warranty costs and rework.

I mean i wouldn't say that, but i did find it really the only other thing i use other than the lane change on autopilot. It is handy to be able to just back my car out of the garage when i need some space instead of having to climb into the car to move it 20ft with dirty boots and clothes on.

However, it also failed 25% of the time and either wouldn't move, or would leave my car stuck half way out of the garage and then i would have to squeeze in when the car was in a spot where I couldn't get the doors open all the way...

Like pretty much all the FSD features, it would be far more useful if it actually worked reliably, but none of them do.
I disagree. The changing lanes with blinker is an FSD feature that you do not get with straight auto pilot. And works extremely well. Not perfect but really well. Sometimes it abandons for no apparent reason.

And the green light thing works really well too. But it does occasionally miss.

Email to: All Tesla Model X Reservation Holders
Subject: Delivery Delays

We acknowledge and empathize with your frustration over waiting up to a year or longer for delivery of your new Refreshed Model X. Many of you have waited far too long. Our sincere apology for the delays; please know we at Tesla share your frustration and are doing everything in our power to get your new Model X to you as soon as possible. Many have queried us as to the reason for the long lead time between your order date and actual delivery. The answer is complex, but we'll try to explain.

(what follows is total conjecture/guessing)

The original production schedule targeted late February 2021 to start Refreshed Model X production. Frankly, we were overly optimistic on the start up date. During production run trials we discovered several stations on the assembly line, particularly those equipped with robots, were not performing up to our quality specifications. It took two months of tinkering and retooling to work out those kinks.

Then we encountered supply chain issues as has affected manufacturing around the world mostly due to the COVID pandemic. Tesla is one of the most vertically integrated Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) on earth, meaning we make as many of the parts that go into our cars in house as possible to reduce dependence on outside suppliers. Even so, we can't make every part that goes into complex machinery like a Model X. Everyone has heard about the semiconductor shortage where several factories were shut down to attempt to deal with COVID outbreaks. Tesla was able to negotiate around the semiconductor shortage better than most auto OEMs by using different kinds of chips we programmed in house, but Model X production was still affected. That was just the start of it. Here is a sample of some of the other problems encountered:

— The blizzard that hit Texas last winter along with a hurricane damaged and delayed production at two of the leading foam manufacturing plants in the U.S. Foam has many uses; in vehicles like your Model X it is primarily employed in seats. Production delays, though temporary, created a chain effect where all automakers, plus manufacturers of hundreds of other products were forced to find new supplies.
— All automakers use rubber strips on the edge of windows for sealing and soundproofing. Factory shutdowns in Asia caused a shortage of rubber trim. Other shortages from audio speakers to the wood paneling that goes into the interior cabin. Name the part and there were probably ordering and delivery delays.

Early this year, we discovered that side airbags in the front seat were not deploying and inflating properly during a crash when the driver or passenger window as not fully closed. The fix requires a new airbag and reprogramming of the central computer. Cars already delivered have been recalled to correct the problem. We did have to delay further production for several weeks until the new airbags were shipped and arrive. To make it even more frustrating, the new airbags did not arrive on schedule due to the lockdown of the factory in Shanghai due to another COVID outbreak.

The Tesla team will get all this worked out. That is a promise. Our third party suppliers are moving heaven and earth to supply Tesla with the parts we need to make the quality Model X you ordered and deserve, but even they are dealing with delays from their suppliers.

Again, our sincere apologies, and more than a little cursing echoing what you're doing. We know it's hard, but please have a little more patience. The Refreshed Model X is a fantastic car you will love. Overall, supply chain conditions are improving. We will get your new Model X the moment we can. And thank you for joining the mission to move the world to sustainable transportation and for choosing Tesla. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

(Would sending out a blanket email like that help? It's not hard to do.)

Last edited:
Email to: All Tesla Model X Reservation Holders
Subject: Delivery Delays

We acknowledge and empathize with your frustration over waiting up to a year or longer for delivery of your new Refreshed Model X. Many of you have waited far too long. Our sincere apology for the delays; please know we at Tesla share your frustration and are doing everything in our power to get your new Model X to you as soon as possible. Many have queried us as to the reason for the long lead time between your order date and actual delivery. The answer is complex, but we'll try to explain.

(what follows is total conjecture/guessing)

The original production schedule targeted late February 2021 to start Refreshed Model X production. Frankly, we were overly optimistic on the start up date. During production run trials we discovered several stations on the assembly line, particularly those equipped with robots, were not performing up to our quality specifications. It took two months of tinkering and retooling to work out those kinks.

Then we encountered supply chain issues as has affected manufacturing around the world mostly due to the COVID pandemic. Tesla is one of the most vertically integrated Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) on earth, meaning we make as many of the parts that go into our cars in house as possible to reduce dependence on outside suppliers. Even so, we can't make every part that goes into complex machinery like a Model X. Everyone has heard about the semiconductor shortage where several factories were shut down to attempt to deal with COVID outbreaks. Tesla was able to negotiate around the semiconductor shortage better than most auto OEMs by using different kinds of chips we programmed in house, but Model X production was still affected. That was just the start of it. Here is a sample of some of the other problems encountered:

— The blizzard that hit Texas last winter along with a hurricane damaged and delayed production at two of the leading foam manufacturing plants in the U.S. Foam has many uses; in vehicles like your Model X it is primarily employed in seats. Production delays, though temporary, created a chain effect where all automakers, plus manufacturers of hundreds of other products were forced to find new supplies.
— All automakers use rubber strips on the edge of windows for sealing and soundproofing. Factory shutdowns in Asia caused a shortage of rubber trim. Other shortages from audio speakers to the wood paneling that goes into the interior cabin. Name the part and there were probably ordering and delivery delays.

Early this year, we discovered that side airbags in the front seat were not deploying and inflating properly during a crash when the driver or passenger window as not fully closed. The fix requires a new airbag and reprogramming of the central computer. To make it even more frustrating, the new airbags did not arrive on schedule due to the lockdown of the factory in Shanghai due to another COVID outbreak.

We will get all this worked out. That is a promise. Our third party suppliers are moving heaven and earth to supply Tesla with the parts we need to make the quality Model X you ordered and deserve, but even they are dealing with delays from their suppliers.

Again, our sincere apologies, and more than a little cursing echoing what you're doing. We know it's hard, but please have a little more patience. the Refreshed Model X is a fantastic car that you will love. Overall, supply chain conditions are improving. We will get your new Model X the moment we can. And thank you for joining the mission to move the world to sustainable transportation and for choosing Tesla. We couldn't do it without you.

Sincerely
Tesla Muckety Muck

(Would sending out a blanket email like that help? It's not hard to do.)
My guess is. They realized it was dumb to release two refreshed models that have a lot in common at the same time. All problems are multiplied. Hold off on lower volume X. Get S (and Plaid, fastest production car badge out first). Get the bugs out. Then ramp up X.

The new taillights spotted on a freshly delivered Model X. View attachment 796248
LOL, I just looked out my window and seem to have this light. It's not easy to spot the differences, unlike on the S. I guess the X will be the only Tesla with the black bar into the lights now...I seriously doubt they will change the lights again to eliminate the spear anytime soon.