Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. Even having my X I can't seem to stop reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Scanning the posts of some still waiting, there appears to be an enduring theme: Tesla is screwing with me. They're lying. They don't want to give me my car.

Let's break it down a bit.

What is Tesla in business to do? Design, make and sell EVs. If they don't sell said EVs they're toast, out of business, bankwupt.

Who are you? A wannabe customer eager to hand them ~$100k for a Model X.

Does it make sense for Tesla to string you along just for the heck of it? Nope, zero sense. The sooner you get your car the sooner they get their $100k.

Then why won't Tesla give me my X? We've been through this ad infinitum. That Tesla was late starting production is no surprise; it's in the company's DNA. The causes? The CEO's glass half full attitude concerning designing new vehicles, building production capacity, getting the assembly line up and running, and, of late, and a new one, supply chain issues. Look at the company's history. The original Model S was late. The original Model X was late. The M3 ramp up was late and almost killed the company. They Y went better. Now the S/X refresh has run into the same thing. We don't tag the intro/production announcements "Elon Time" for nothing.

That Tesla SA lied to me! No one argues Tesla is more secretive than it should be, even with its own employees. But if you step back, you can see why. Starting in the mid teens, big oil, legacy auto and their sycophants came after Tesla big time. Take car fires as an example. In the late 1980s, ICE car fires averaged 430-450k annually. The number started to fall coming in at 173k in 2020, but that's still a lot. Are ICE car fires front page news? Nope, but let a Tesla battery pack catch fire and see what happens. Tesla battery packs rarely catch fire, but that doesn't matter. It's the same with production delays. Right now at this moment, legacy auto struggles to produce 50k EVs annually per OEM. Tesla made 936k in 2021. Early production troubles with the Model 3 was constant fodder for hammering Tesla in 2017-2018. Tesla's secrecy about what is going on behind the scenes is not excusable, but understandable given the company's history. They should tell their SAs more, they should be more forthright with customers, all true, but if they are 100% honest — we ain't got no rubber trim for the doors right now— they will get hammered by a long list of enemies, the proverbial stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't make it any easier for you guys waiting in line, but the reason behind it is, again, understandable.

I don't care about that stuff! I want my X. So do the 1 million waiting for their Cybertruck, the 100k or so waiting for the new roadster, the trucking companies waiting for the Tesla Semi. Despite the rosy scenarios consistently blowing up in Elon's face, Tesla always comes through in the end. The S debuted in 2012 and blew the industry away. The 2016 X caused jaws to drop. The M3 quickly became the first mass market EV. The Y is taking off at the angle of a SpaceX rocket. The Refreshed X/S are showing up all across America. I saw 2 yesterday going to the grocery store, a 1.6 mile trek.

I still don't like the (*&^^*^% delay!! Who does? Tesla will make somewhere around 1.5 million EVs this year. Ford will be lucky to churn out 50k Mustang Mach-Es. The same for all the rest of the auto industry excepting a couple of Chinese companies. The truth is EVs have hit the inflection point, meaning they've now passed the innovation adoption phase and are well into the early adapter phase headed toward the early mainstream buyer. Several years ago, Musk warned the world would need a whole lot more batteries, much much more. When it comes to new tech, Elon is almost always right. Politics? Not so much, but when he sticks to his lane he's a freaking genius. The cold hard fact is demands is outstripping supply. Tesla is ramping up as quickly as it can, but demand is exploding.

A friend told me this story today: A friend's ICE pickup died. He had good credit, was going to pay most of the purchase cost himself, but still needed a portion financed. The bank turned him down. He didn't understand it, his credit score is good, he qualified. He finally got an answer through someone he knew at the bank. This particular bank, in rural Georgia, doesn't want to finance any more gas and diesel vehicles. If this guy would buy an EV his credit application would sail through. His problem is he can't wait, he needs a new truck now to continue to earn a living. The problem is there aren't any to be had immediately. The Cybertruck is backordered through 2025. GM and Ford are showing off fancy new EVs, but are sold out on the meager number they can make through the end of 2022. Rivian has a long waiting list. We're at the supply meeting demand bottleneck. Even banks see it, this one, at least, is unwilling to finance an ICE pickup because they think its value won't hold up. Unimaginable even 2 years ago.

What does that have to do with Tesla? The MX is not new at all, so they updated it some. Is that so hard? Not normally. But I think we're going to find out that orders exploded beyond Tesla's or anyone else's expectations. My guess is Tesla will sooner rather than later have to open a new line that the S and X don't share. The disruption of legacy auto is happening that fast.

Blah, blah, blah. I've waited a year. Lots of folks are going to be waiting. That's what happens when a new technology replaces an obsolete one. Just the way it works. Tesla's self interest is in getting you your X. The obstacle is there are a lot of you's out there.
I guess many of us will disagree. There are only a limited number of customers who will take such shoddy customer service from a car company. If Tesla wants to scale, it will have to up its game many fold. So let’s stop making excuses for the terrible customer experience and poor build quality . In next 6-12 months there will be a lot of excellent EV options and beyond a core group, many folks will take their money someplace else.

Reactions: jbrowdy
I am a secret agent for tesla and i lie to people so they will buy their cars. i guess i failed.
Front vs rear after about 2 minutes of COOLING seats on
B62AEFB8-ADBC-4A42-BDFA-F83C9C6AA7FF.jpeg
92BF9DA1-815F-498C-858C-5C70B0A16085.jpeg

I guess many of us will disagree. There are only a limited number of customers who will take such shoddy customer service from a car company. If Tesla wants to scale, it will have to up its game many fold. So let’s stop making excuses for the terrible customer experience and poor build quality . In next 6-12 months there will be a lot of excellent EV options and beyond a core group, many folks will take their money someplace else.
Tesla’s build quality is statistically improving. There’s also a narrowing standard deviation from the quality median, if you know what I mean (pun intended).

Seriously though, other car companies produce a spectrum that includes some pretty shoddy results.

I hope for Tesla QC to continue to improve, and comparison to the quality of other cars is not the standard by which they should judge themselves, but I’m just saying, Tesla is working objectively to tighten every loose end (metaphorically and literally).

Customer service — most if not all the individuals who work for Tesla with whom I’ve interacted are quite pleasant and want to be the best possible, though on the whole Tesla customer service has serious weaknesses.

While I would concede that an overarching customer satisfaction paradigm has not yet been fully nuanced, I nonetheless believe that Tesla is working hard toward that end.

Here’s the thing.

Nobody else is delivering at scale. Tesla is.* And frankly while Tesla’s WHOLE GOAL is to have ACTUAL COMPETITION (from other mfrs making EVs), the response from traditional auto —and supposed EV startups— has been to move at the pace of sludge.

Oily sludge.

I’m team Tesla.

_________
*and is scaling what “at scale” means. As they must.

Hmmm. Even having my X I can't seem to stop reading this thread. :rolleyes:

Scanning the posts of some still waiting, there appears to be an enduring theme: Tesla is screwing with me. They're lying. They don't want to give me my car.

Let's break it down a bit.

What is Tesla in business to do? Design, make and sell EVs. If they don't sell said EVs they're toast, out of business, bankwupt.

Who are you? A wannabe customer eager to hand them ~$100k for a Model X.

Does it make sense for Tesla to string you along just for the heck of it? Nope, zero sense. The sooner you get your car the sooner they get their $100k.

Then why won't Tesla give me my X? We've been through this ad infinitum. That Tesla was late starting production is no surprise; it's in the company's DNA. The causes? The CEO's glass half full attitude concerning designing new vehicles, building production capacity, getting the assembly line up and running, and, of late, and a new one, supply chain issues. Look at the company's history. The original Model S was late. The original Model X was late. The M3 ramp up was late and almost killed the company. They Y went better. Now the S/X refresh has run into the same thing. We don't tag the intro/production announcements "Elon Time" for nothing.

That Tesla SA lied to me! No one argues Tesla is more secretive than it should be, even with its own employees. But if you step back, you can see why. Starting in the mid teens, big oil, legacy auto and their sycophants came after Tesla big time. Take car fires as an example. In the late 1980s, ICE car fires averaged 430-450k annually. The number started to fall coming in at 173k in 2020, but that's still a lot. Are ICE car fires front page news? Nope, but let a Tesla battery pack catch fire and see what happens. Tesla battery packs rarely catch fire, but that doesn't matter. It's the same with production delays. Right now at this moment, legacy auto struggles to produce 50k EVs annually per OEM. Tesla made 936k in 2021. Early production troubles with the Model 3 was constant fodder for hammering Tesla in 2017-2018. Tesla's secrecy about what is going on behind the scenes is not excusable, but understandable given the company's history. They should tell their SAs more, they should be more forthright with customers, all true, but if they are 100% honest — we ain't got no rubber trim for the doors right now— they will get hammered by a long list of enemies, the proverbial stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doesn't make it any easier for you guys waiting in line, but the reason behind it is, again, understandable.

I don't care about that stuff! I want my X. So do the 1 million waiting for their Cybertruck, the 100k or so waiting for the new roadster, the trucking companies waiting for the Tesla Semi. Despite the rosy scenarios consistently blowing up in Elon's face, Tesla always comes through in the end. The S debuted in 2012 and blew the industry away. The 2016 X caused jaws to drop. The M3 quickly became the first mass market EV. The Y is taking off at the angle of a SpaceX rocket. The Refreshed X/S are showing up all across America. I saw 2 yesterday going to the grocery store, a 1.6 mile trek.

I still don't like the (*&^^*^% delay!! Who does? Tesla will make somewhere around 1.5 million EVs this year. Ford will be lucky to churn out 50k Mustang Mach-Es. The same for all the rest of the auto industry excepting a couple of Chinese companies. The truth is EVs have hit the inflection point, meaning they've now passed the innovation adoption phase and are well into the early adapter phase headed toward the early mainstream buyer. Several years ago, Musk warned the world would need a whole lot more batteries, much much more. When it comes to new tech, Elon is almost always right. Politics? Not so much, but when he sticks to his lane he's a freaking genius. The cold hard fact is demands is outstripping supply. Tesla is ramping up as quickly as it can, but demand is exploding.

A friend told me this story today: A friend's ICE pickup died. He had good credit, was going to pay most of the purchase cost himself, but still needed a portion financed. The bank turned him down. He didn't understand it, his credit score is good, he qualified. He finally got an answer through someone he knew at the bank. This particular bank, in rural Georgia, doesn't want to finance any more gas and diesel vehicles. If this guy would buy an EV his credit application would sail through. His problem is he can't wait, he needs a new truck now to continue to earn a living. The problem is there aren't any to be had immediately. The Cybertruck is backordered through 2025. GM and Ford are showing off fancy new EVs, but are sold out on the meager number they can make through the end of 2022. Rivian has a long waiting list. We're at the supply meeting demand bottleneck. Even banks see it, this one, at least, is unwilling to finance an ICE pickup because they think its value won't hold up. Unimaginable even 2 years ago.

What does that have to do with Tesla? The MX is not new at all, so they updated it some. Is that so hard? Not normally. But I think we're going to find out that orders exploded beyond Tesla's or anyone else's expectations. My guess is Tesla will sooner rather than later have to open a new line that the S and X don't share. The disruption of legacy auto is happening that fast.

Blah, blah, blah. I've waited a year. Lots of folks are going to be waiting. That's what happens when a new technology replaces an obsolete one. Just the way it works. Tesla's self interest is in getting you your X. The obstacle is there are a lot of you's out there.
Seriously, wtf is this pretentious bs? You got your car. Why are you even here and still reading? Does it make you feel better? You added no value. Move along.

And don’t try to explain things like we’re 5 and justify why we should or shouldn’t be feeling certain things. Your whole post comes off like you’re a know it all and we are toddlers that have no idea what’s going on in the real world. Gt***

Last edited:
correct.
seeing the post above yours...looks like it's time to say Goodbye.
Definitely not. I apologize if my post made it seem that way to everyone who got theirs (not that it would matter anyway, I’m not an admin). That wasn’t my intention. It was only directed to that one individual who felt the need to write a book about this group’s collective reactions to the long wait we’ve all endured.

It must have changed by 2018. I waited 5 months for my car to arrive and picked up at the factory.

However, I am glad it took that long. In the interim MCU1 was replaced by MCU2, my original brown interior was dropped and replaced by tan, and few other minor but nice changes were made.
My X built in Oct 2017 also has MCU2 and the cream interior. Probably one of the first batch. I actually wanted a custom one but there was an inventory car just arrived in the exact same configuration I wanted. It's very lucky as the number of options was much more than we have today. So I got the car several days after I placed the order, as I needed some time to figure out the financing. There were at least another 10 inventory cars that I could select from.

Guess the demand for Tesla really started to boost in 2018.