Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better late than never, here's my delivery review and vehicle impressions.

Configuration: LR, 5 Seat, Blue/Black, 20", FSD

Accepted delivery at Fremont factory on Thursday the 30th, the gentleman who assisted me with the trade in and final payment was somewhat exhausted, end of quarter crunch clearly hitting him hard.
Regrettably I was unable to persuade him to allow me to inspect the inside of the vehicle before paying, or processing the trade-in.

Exterior: Other than a few minor scuffs on the hood, and a piece of trim misalignment for the driver side FWD, it was absolutely perfect.

Transaction and tech transfer troubles: I paid via Plaid which was smooth, and we processed the trade-in which was entirely painless.
The Tesla app transitioned to the new car being active, at which point I was unable to control the vehicle. I stood outside the car trying to unlock with the app for about 10 minutes - the error "command timed out" would come up after ~90 seconds.
I tried logging out and logging back into the app. The issue persisted, and re-installing the app was what finally resolved the it granting, finally, access to inspect the interior.

Interior: Similarly was perfect, despite being slightly disheveled in terms of passenger seat backs not being locked into position.
FWDs, front doors, trunk and frunk all responding appropriately, seat materials immaculate, sound system bold and detailed,

The drive home was smooth and comfortable, I was pleasantly surprised by how pleasant it is to drive with a cooled bottom.

In the last few days I've identified a few additional issues:
  • The charge port door won't open when I push the button on my home charger, nor will it open when I push the door.
  • The yoke isn't perfectly aligned
Along with the minor trim alignment issue identified on the exterior, those are what I'm requesting the service center correct.

The good:
  • It's a joy to drive, I'm thrilled with the vehicle interior comfort, ride, performance and features.
  • Better quality than anticipated, both FWDs function beautifully every time which is a tremendous relief after the horror stories.
  • Interior is dramatically better than the previously owned and previously driven Tesla models (pre-2021 refresh).
  • Smooth, powerful throttle response in "Sport".

The bad:
  • While I understand the pressure of a crunch, an ambivalent and exhausted delivery staff dampened my enthusiasm at handover time.
  • Comfort setting rocks the cabin forward (subtly, but noticeably) even when using gentle single-peddle braking. I expected better from the dynamic suspension.

The ugly:
  • This car has markedly better fit and finish than my 2016 Model S, but Tesla still has challenges with the quality of the fit and finish, as observed with the exterior panel alignment.
  • Whoever is cleaning these cars for delivery needs to be more careful with the paint. Scratches in the paintwork at delivery are ridiculous.
June 30th?

Well, this one’s new. Logged into my account to find this message had replaced my EDD.

015F9ADD-29D5-4F02-9C31-7A918297C809.jpeg

Thing is I’ve never put my order on hold. Haven’t even talked to my SA in about a month now. WTF?

Ordered three of these from Orvis Solid-Foam Backseat Extender for when ours comes. Currently use two of them in our X7 with a cover from Orvis as well and he is living like a king back there. Sure there is something cheaper out there but the quality is outstanding.
I’ve had the ORVIS hammock in both our truck and previous Lexus. Bought the foam extender for our truck. They work great!

I was VIN’d for 3 days. I got my loan (credit union) paid the balance, submitted insurance same day and they took the VIN away from me today without notice. Unreal.
That is insane. Any update? What are they saying? Is the car still in transit, are you back in the queue all over again, or what? Brutal, especially if you're now accruing interest on that loan too and don't even have a car.

Reactions: Elixir
That is insane. Any update? What are they saying? Is the car still in transit, are you back in the queue all over again, or what? Brutal, especially if you're now accruing interest on that loan too and don't even have a car.
The sales rep is amazing, real nice lady. She said that she will be put me into some priority request system.

The loan has to be canceled as the bank isn’t willing to change the VIN & a new loan submitted.

Reactions: zk19
The sales rep is amazing, real nice lady. She said that she will be put me into some priority request system.

The loan has to be canceled as the bank isn’t willing to change the VIN & a new loan submitted.
And they wonder why people don't want to make the final payment ahead of time.

I'm in a similar situation and hope this works out for you. My bank changed the VIN for me after rejecting a previous vehicle and the check expired. However, I'm now faced with either making a payment on a vehicle I don't have or canceling the loan.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jbapckfan