Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but you're probably right. I'd honestly rather cancel than take a '22 at this stage. We've already seen at least one '23 VIN confirmed. If this was July or residual values were still as high as they were just a few weeks ago I'd throw caution to the wind, but considering I've never even driven an X and have other EVs on order I'm not going to risk the value tanking even further by taking one of the last '22s off the line.
What is your original EDD? I meant the EDD that they gave you when you placed your order. The SA that I talked to on the phone told me this. If you get the VIN earlier than your original EDD, you can put your order on hold safely because you are not ready. I couldn’t put mine on hold because I got the VIN exactly on the month of my original EDD. I’m just telling you what I was told. Do it at your own risk. There is no telling as what this unpredictable company will do to your order

What is your original EDD? I meant the EDD that they gave you when you placed your order. The SA that I talked to on the phone told me this. If you get the VIN earlier than your original EDD, you can put your order on hold safely because you are not ready. I couldn’t put mine on hold because I got the VIN exactly on the month of my original EDD. I’m just telling you what I was told. Do it at your own risk. There is no telling as what this unpredictable company will do to your order
Order was placed by a friend in May 2021. No idea what the original EDD was.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but you're probably right. I'd honestly rather cancel than take a '22 at this stage. We've already seen at least one '23 VIN confirmed. If this was July or residual values were still as high as they were just a few weeks ago I'd throw caution to the wind, but considering I've never even driven an X and have other EVs on order I'm not going to risk the value tanking even further by taking one of the last '22s off the line.
Whhhhhat? You effectively have a 30k discount over the current MSRP. If you don't want the car because you have others on order you would rather have that makes sense, but you are worried about the minor value difference of a '22 vs a '23 when you are already saving 30k. Makes no sense to me.

Edit: to put it another way...
You can have a '22 for ~90k or a '23 for ~121k, and you would rather have the '23 (or no car)?

Whhhhhat? You effectively have a 30k discount over the current MSRP. If you don't want the car because you have others on order you would rather have that makes sense, but you are worried about the minor value difference of a '22 vs a '23 when you are already saving 30k. Makes no sense to me.

You can have a '22 for ~90k or a '23 for ~121k, and you would rather have the '23 (or no car)?
All good we move up a spot

Too much of a risk when I suspect the R1S will be a better fit. If I knew I'd keep it long-term maybe, but when you add taxes and registration the margin for breaking even is tough. Have you looked at the "for sale" board recently? Values even on pre-hike reservations have dropped significantly.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Too much of a risk when I suspect the R1S will be a better fit. If I knew I'd keep it long-term maybe, but when you add taxes and registration the margin for breaking even is tough. Have you looked at the "for sale" board recently? Values even on pre-hike reservations have dropped significantly.
When your friend orders your Rivian be sure and tell them what model year you want

How much do you actually think the depreciation differs between a 22 and 23… they are still waitlists and thus the price still remains high on the secondary market.
Not many new cars out there where the market value is higher than the list price.

When your friend orders your Rivian be sure and tell them what model year you want
At what point for you personally is it no longer reasonable to accept the previous model year? Surely you have a cut-off in your mind, right? Everyone does. If they offered you a ‘22 next summer would you take it? For me that cut-off is now since we have now two confirmed ‘23 VINs assigned the same day as my ‘22. Some won’t care, some (including me) will. How about you take my ‘22 and let me get in line for a ‘23 if it’s a non-issue for you.

How much do you actually think the depreciation differs between a 22 and 23… they are still waitlists and thus the price still remains high on the secondary market.
Not many new cars out there where the market value is higher than the list price.
The market is clearly on its way down. Estimates for new S and X orders are also shorter. Taking a now dated model year compounds the resale effects even further.

Here ya go:
9CF35ED5-3422-45C4-B61F-E9E77CDE63C8.jpeg

BEBEE1AA-31D9-4B1A-82D2-C9C49A4CDF35.jpeg

Last edited:
At what point for you personally is it no longer reasonable to accept the previous model year? Surely you have a cut-off in your mind, right? Everyone does. If they offered you a ‘22 next summer would you take it? For me that cut-off is now since we have now two confirmed ‘23 VINs assigned the same day as my ‘22. Some won’t care, some (including me) will. How about you take my ‘22 and let me get in line for a ‘23 if it’s a non-issue for you.
I already have a 22 and will be getting a 22 or 23 Vin in the next month……… I would take a 22 today because you now have a 22 with a 12-15k mileage credit and a $25 k discount, however I don’t buy brand new cars as an investment and try to make money on them I buy what we want / need and use it as it was intended.

Reactions: Elixir
I already have a 22 and will be getting a 22 or 23 Vin in the next month……… I would take a 22 today because you now have a 22 with a 12-15k mileage credit and a $25 k discount, however I don’t buy brand new cars as an investment and try to make money on them I buy what we want / need and use it as it was intended.
Even with a $25k lower price than the current MSRP, it’s still a very expensive car. He pays the car with his own money and IMO he is entitled to feel whatever he wants. There is not only one intended use of buying a car. Some people wants to keep it for a long time (which means ‘22 or ‘23 won’t make a big difference) but some people only keep their car for a short while only, maybe even only a few months while waiting for the other EV to arrive. I picked up an MYP in February 2022 while waiting for my Model X. I’m about to sell it now after only 8 months because my Model X has arrived. In a case like this, a year difference in the VIN will make a difference.

Good for you. We have different priorities. I asked how to facilitate my priorities, and you sarcastically replied to start this convo. Still not sure why. Thankfully others have been helpful.

Even with a $25k lower price than the current MSRP, it’s still a very expensive car. He pays the car with his own money and IMO he is entitled to feel whatever he wants. There is not only one intended use of buying a car. Some people wants to keep it for a long time (which means ‘22 or ‘23 won’t make a big difference) but some people only keep their car for a short while only, maybe even only a few months while waiting for the other EV to arrive. I picked up an MYP in February 2022 while waiting for my Model X. I’m about to sell it now after only 8 months because my Model X has arrived. In a case like this, a year difference in the VIN will make a difference.
So glad you showed up to the party, just FYI I never said anything about the intended use of any vehicle, I said “ I buy what we want / need and use them as intended”, that means I use them for the intended use I buy them for, everyone has different intent with vehicles I certainly am not one to dictate what someone does with their vehicle. It’s obvious the op is in the resale business or attempting to be, can’t wait for ”I put it on hold and the order got cancelled” thread

You’re so right. How absurd of me to expect to get a modern year model, one which others are clearly receiving, when waiting a year and a half and spending $100k on a vehicle. If that makes me entitled then so be it.
And they offered you a 22 year model, that’s modern. Cancel it, put it on hold, whatever just do it quick so someone who wants / needs their x can get it quicker.