Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Here's a video of the Ultra Red Model X Plaid.. It looks a little darker but not too dark like a Mazda red. I like it!
Thanks, looks great and since getting my Plaid seems to take forever, I changed from Solid Black to Ultra Red. They let me do that without changing total price, which was good. Still have delivery set to apr-jun though. / Sweden

I believe this is the old color.
Here's a Model X in Ultra Red I saw yesterday. It may be hard to tell from the photo, but it's definitely a richer shade of red compared to the previous MC Red.

Attachments

• PXL_20230314_003504223.jpg
    PXL_20230314_003504223.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: preilly44
Some observations from my overnight demo drive..

1. noticed that the front doors do not open as much as the HW3 cars do. The door just pops out a little but you have to give it a push to be able to enter the car. I wish it was hands free like before. Hopefully an update can fix this.

2.The new side repeater cameras are clearer than the previous version and there is very little glare when the turn signals are on. The backup cameras are fine but I wish it was more crisp for the price we pay for the MX.

3. The power seats in the middle row are very noisy while moving. But I like that you can stretch your legs freely while sitting on the 3rd row with the middle row pushed all the way forward.

4. The noise cancelling feature was still in calibration mode and was jumping between 20-40%. The car only had 9 miles though.

5. The speakers are good. Not as nice as the B&W speakers in my 750I but it's clear enough when the volume is above 9.

Some observations from my overnight demo drive..

1. noticed that the front doors do not open as much as the HW3 cars do. The door just pops out a little but you have to give it a push to be able to enter the car. I wish it was hands free like before. Hopefully an update can fix this.
Apparently, that's because there are no proximity sensors - the replacement for them is Occupancy Network which Tesla hasn't launched yet. Until then, the front doors just crack open a little as the vehicle doesn't know if it might hit an obstruction.
2.The new side repeater cameras are clearer than the previous version and there is very little glare when the turn signals are on. The backup cameras are fine but I wish it was more crisp for the price we pay for the MX.

3. The power seats in the middle row are very noisy while moving. But I like that you can stretch your legs freely while sitting on the 3rd row with the middle row pushed all the way forward.

4. The noise cancelling feature was still in calibration mode and was jumping between 20-40%. The car only had 9 miles though.

5. The speakers are good. Not as nice as the B&W speakers in my 750I but it's clear enough when the volume is above 9.

Reviving a ~7-month old question because I have relevant experience...

Question to all the late model X owners:

Did your cars develop a bad AC vent odor? My 2018 M3 started smelling after 1 year, cabin air filter change only helped for a few months then the smell came back. I was given a 2019 Y as a loaner and it also smelled atrocious!

I’m now being proactive with the X by turning off the AC and letting the fan blast as I approach my destination.

That should have been fixed in a software update to run the fans for 10 minutes or so after you get to your destination. The issue was that moisture was building up and causing moldy smells in the air filter. Replacing the air filter and spraying some cleaner to get rid of residual mold will help your problem (not just replacing the filter). It's worse if you live in humid climates. The X's filters are up top so it should be better but I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented that fix into all the cars.

This issue arose about 12 months after we took delivery of our MX refresh. We had already surrendered to the reality that this issue (or something similar) will require us to clean our Model Y coils with kool-it every year or so. That said, a few other issues with our MX required service (e.g., peeling yoke), so I added this to the ticket. The service center simply added a filter replacement to our appointment. Accordingly, I explained that, in view of the known issue with the Model Y, the coils would need to be cleaned to resolve the smell. They added "use HVAC cleaning machine" to the ticket, for an additional $150 (I think the air filter + installation was somewhere around $30-50). Frankly, they've been pretty good at addressing our concerns under warranty, so we didn't push back on the cost.

Unfortunately, the smell is back not even two months later. We will probably treat the issue ourselves, the same way we do with the Model Y...but this issue certainly hasn't been "fixed" via software update, and seems to be attributable to a design flaw (at least as of late-2021 build dates).

ETA: I haven't been able to find anything across these forums discussing this issue with respect to the refresh Model S/X, so it's possible that there is an issue specific to our car and not the entire platform, like a blocked drainage hole or something. That said, I would appreciate any info specific to this issue in the refresh S/X should anyone be aware of the problem occurring in these vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: ShareLofty
When did you place order?
March 6, but it was originally black then I changed it to Multicoat Red the day before they changed it to Ultra Red (they didn't increase my price). I didn't fill out anything in the Tesla app (loan/registration/etc) because I was kind of waiting to see if there were any deals at the end of the quarter....then I saw my exact config was on it's way to my local delivery center at the end of the month so I asked Tesla to match me to that vin. If there are any deals at the end of the quarter, I should still qualify as long as the XP arrives by 3/30.

20230316_172858.jpg

20230316_172915.jpg

Sigh, I was supposed to take delivery today for the MX. My hubby and I even took hours off and had my bro take time off to drive us there. Unfortunately, there's a problem with the left wing where it doesn't go all the way up like the other side (how it's supposed to be). Initially, the delivery person was saying maybe it detected a shadow of the car next to it so I told him to pull up to test. Even with no cars on either side, the left wing still failed to go all the way up. It will only go up if we manually hard press the wing (bypassing sensors) but it still positions slightly lower than the right wing at max. After they diagnosed the issue, he told us that one of the sensors on the left wing isn't working and that they have to order the part but it's not available at the moment.
We had a mini meeting with him and his manager where they suggested that we allow them to try to fix the wing and if they're not able to fix it by Saturday, she will notify me and will look for a new VIN for me. She kept saying she just wants to warn us that she can't guarantee that another car will not have the same issue or any another issues. Then during the meeting, they got a "call" and apparently was able to get someone to pick up the sensor part and will try to fix it tomorrow, Friday. We agreed because the manager said if they are able to fix the problem by Saturday morning, she'll call us and have an Uber pick us up and will give me a $200 voucher/gift card (to purchase a key fob online) at delivery. We also didn't have to accept delivery or pay anything yet today.
They kept affirming that they will do their best and stay on top of this. The manager said she'll give me a call tomorrow morning to give me a status update. The delivery date is scheduled for Saturday on the app (assuming everything is fixed by then).
I attached a picture of the wings for reference, very beautiful car. You can't tell but the wings are uneven even after manually pushing it open to max on the car's left wing. I'm so disappointed because coincidentally, all the accessories and floor mats that I ordered for the car were delivered today but I have no car! What bad luck I have lol.
Anyone has any suggestions or input if I made the right decision to let them fix it or should I look for another VIN? Is the wing sensor issues common like they claimed? I still have my Model Y Performance order open in case I couldn't take delivery of the MX (although I don't have a VIN yet). Should I still proceed with getting the X or? Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Sounds like all you need to do is let them replace the sensor to fix it, then take delivery if it's fixed. Not sure why this would make you now consider a Model Y instead?

Whatever car you want the most, get that one.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I ordered the MYP initially and since most likely I won't get it before 3/31 anyway, we just decided to get the MX instead after test driving it last weekend. You're right, it's as simple as having them replace/fix the sensor and take delivery if fixed. I definitely still prefer the MX so I'll wait for them to either fix it or find me a new VIN. Thank you for your input because I was all disappointed on my above post but feel better now haha 🙏.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I ordered the MYP initially and since most likely I won't get it before 3/31 anyway, we just decided to get the MX instead after test driving it last weekend. You're right, it's as simple as having them replace/fix the sensor and take delivery if fixed. I definitely still prefer the MX so I'll wait for them to either fix it or find me a new VIN. Thank you for your input because I was all disappointed on my above post but feel better now haha 🙏.
Our brand new MXP also has issues with the FWDs. Both are detecting phantom obstacles at times and won't open all the way. Tesla either had some real issues installing the door sensors or it could be software related. Will be interested to see if an update prior to my service appointment fixes the issues. Love the car otherwise.