Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you “need” to wrap it?
Hence the quotes; 'it is more of a want than anything else. I like the matte satin finish that you can get with a wrap. Additionally, I am one of those guys that puts screenprotectors and cases on everything that I can (mostly phones and tablets) and wrapping a car sort of fulfills the same function. So apart from the esthetic part; it is also to keep the paintwork underneath in near pristine condition.

Funnily enough, getting a wrap is most likely one of the easier things to get past the missus :p

Back on page 341, Empty Tank posted an attachment that shows the LR EPA best case (smallest tires) to be 348 EPA miles. That is a joke! All seem to have forgotten the outgoing LR+ was 371 miles EPA rated with the 'H' battery pack made from 10-2020 until Dec 24 2020 shutdown. And the 'G' pack made for most of 2020 was 351 miles so we aren't even there now.

So the outgoing Dec 2020 X was base $79995 VS $104995 now and got 23 miles better EPA range.

So they took 10 months off of production for a 'refresh'. Sure got the heat pump, and that's it from my dream list I had back on Jan 10 2020 when I placed order.

People also have to remeber the cr!p Tesla played with naming to raise the price on the pre- announced orders. I had put my money down and we had a contract for a blue/ tan LR+ at $82,999. In March they said "oh we don't make that model with the + anymore, so here is a LR model we do make for $11k more". (10k base and 1k more they did for interior color change now VS black). And did they tell us the range was going DOWN by 23 miles for $11k more? Oh, "And you'll probably get your car in March or April of 2022, even though Elon said at Jan refresh announcement production was. Starting in Feb (2021)".

This company need competition so bad. Until then, they will continue todo whatever they want as obvious by the S/X terrible refresh rollout. (Really 10 month shutdown to add heatpump, bigger motors, keep exterior completely the same but dechrome, redo fog lights, added noise canceling which might have just got added to the code, and make the car worse ergonomicly by removing turn stalks, direction Shifter and 1/2 the steering wheel? All while lowering the range, for now $26k more than 1 year ago)And its unknown if they fixed the design flaw of axel CV joint wearing out every 15k miles if you drive spirited at all. Quite the update.
I am past the mad/frustrated stage, but my experience mirrors the above summary.

I originally decided to sell my 2018 P100D because I was having a LOT of MCU and computer related problems. I pleaded with Tesla to fix them and they refused. I realized that the price had dropped substantially since I bought my 2018 (which I bought in Q1, right before they upgraded the MCU's), so if I sold my MX and simply bought a new one, I'd get the new MCU and infotainment tech at a dramatically lower price. No brainer.

When I started working on it with local SA's, I learned of the refresh rumors. Icing on the cake. I was concerned about price increases and brought it up with my SA's. They assured me I would be "grandfathered" on price. Refresh gets announced and to get a comparable vehicle, I would actually be paying 20k more than anticipated (30k if I wanted FSD). Massive kick in the rocks. I had no choice, as I had already sold my MX. I reluctantly agreed to it - at least I'd be getting back into a new MX fairly soon. That was January 2021. Well, at least I had a pre-refresh order date. The plot thickens.

As you can imagine, I was frustrated and expressed this to my SA numerous times. That was at a time when we all actually thought our SA's could in some way be useful. Mine took my ire as a request to cancel my order and he went ahead and cancelled it. So, on top of all the frustration, if I wanted to buy the MX, I would have to re-order it, get in the back of the line and lose the $2k bone discount they threw at pre-refresh reservation holders. That's where I sit now.

It has all been incredibly frustrating, and as many have pointed out, there are unfortunately, no great alternatives. I did reserve a Rivian R1S in March as a hedge, but don't expect to see that any time in the near future.

Thanks for listening, my friends.....

All new X should come with tow package and basic floor mats. I’ve never heard that they haven’t post 2017.

I thought it was a detachable one, according to the new manual that was posted some time ago?
Edit: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Page 93 and 98

'The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch receiver that can support an accessory carrier.''

Looks like you need to buy it as an accessory, looking similar to the Model Y

It is a tad ridiculous tho that a car at this price range has no floormats as standard nor a towing hook (or the detachable accessory) The floormats alone are nearing 250 EUR (notwithstanding that I want a floormat for in the back (especially with the dog and all), which is another 50 EUR (3rd party)

So I need to convince the missus that, after spending 114.5k EUR on a car, I 'need' to put on wrapping (another 3500 EUR), floormats (± 300 EUR) and a towing hook (1500 EUR?)

Oh boy... :p
CS come

All new X should come with tow package and basic floor mats. I’ve never heard that they haven’t post 2017.

I thought it was a detachable one, according to the new manual that was posted some time ago?

CS come
I saw a recent Y delivery (ont YT) that came without the floormats, so I kinda assumed that was for all models. Might be wrong in that assumption tho.

As far as the towing hook goes; the manual is a bit ambiguous with the wording. Thus far it looks like an optional accessory and not a standard thing

Back on page 341, Empty Tank posted an attachment that shows the LR EPA best case (smallest tires) to be 348 EPA miles. That is a joke! All seem to have forgotten the outgoing LR+ was 371 miles EPA rated with the 'H' battery pack made from 10-2020 until Dec 24 2020 shutdown. And the 'G' pack made for most of 2020 was 351 miles so we aren't even there now.

So the outgoing Dec 2020 X was base $79995 VS $104995 now and got 23 miles better EPA range.

So they took 10 months off of production for a 'refresh'. Sure got the heat pump, and that's it from my dream list I had back on Jan 10 2020 when I placed order.

People also have to remeber the cr!p Tesla played with naming to raise the price on the pre- announced orders. I had put my money down and we had a contract for a blue/ tan LR+ at $82,999. In March they said "oh we don't make that model with the + anymore, so here is a LR model we do make for $11k more". (10k base and 1k more they did for interior color change now VS black). And did they tell us the range was going DOWN by 23 miles for $11k more? Oh, "And you'll probably get your car in March or April of 2022, even though Elon said at Jan refresh announcement production was. Starting in Feb (2021)".

This company need competition so bad. Until then, they will continue todo whatever they want as obvious by the S/X terrible refresh rollout. (Really 10 month shutdown to add heatpump, bigger motors, keep exterior completely the same but dechrome, redo fog lights, added noise canceling which might have just got added to the code, and make the car worse ergonomicly by removing turn stalks, direction Shifter and 1/2 the steering wheel? All while lowering the range, for now $26k more than 1 year ago)And its unknown if they fixed the design flaw of axel CV joint wearing out every 15k miles if you drive spirited at all. Quite the update.
I'm stunned that the tow receiver is a mixed bag - higher tow capacity (5000 pounds) than what's included in the Y (3500 pounds) BUT a lower vertical weight allowance (120 pounds for the X, 160 pounds for the Y). This means if you're carrying bikes, you're seriously limited. I'm now looking into aftermarket hitch receivers to see what will work and will have to figure out whether it also impacts any part of the car's warranty. Information can be found in the X owners manual about all of this.

In the manual, it shows the hook on p244. If you are referring to using the Model X to attach a trailer, then yes, there is a built-in receiver for a tow hitch (p93)
In addition, this is the current wording on the website. Says "Standard trailer hitch." Something I double checked before ordering.
1635947540746.png

Reactions: T.REX and TWENT2
Thanks. Good video. Yea I see the $69k SUV cap definitely eliminates us. Makes sense. Can’t complain. While I would’ve loved the cash back, nobody actually needs help if you’re buying a $120k car.
Not true! Because I am buying the MX, I had to break it to my kids that they cannot go to college. And our dinners will be $0.49 Ramon Noodle for the foreseeable future!

Finally got "the call" this afternoon! Accepted the 6 seater option. Ordered 7 seater back in March 6.

The caller mentioned that if I sticked to 7 seater, the delivery will happen in March-April window, while it will happen in January if switching to 6 seater.
This has me wondering...I ordered my 6 seater in August 2021. My estimated delivery says APRIL. How could your 7 seat March order arrive around the same time? And will they switch to 5 and 7 seaters before going to newer 6 seat orders? I wonder what the cutoff point would be for 6 seaters before they tackle the 5's and 7s?

That being said... Can I get mine sooner than later please? 😂

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
This has me wondering...I ordered my 6 seater in August 2021. My estimated delivery says APRIL. How could your 7 seat March order arrive around the same time? And will they switch to 5 and 7 seaters before going to newer 6 seat orders? I wonder what the cutoff point would be for 6 seaters before they tackle the 5's and 7s?
From what I remember from this forum a few weeks ago - they have a surplus of seats (and 6 seat is the highest margin seat config) - so they're going to build and sell as many as possible this quarter to boost profit numbers THEN start producing the other configs. So I s'pose the cutoff is, if they can get to your 6 seat order before the end of the year then you'll get it before 5/7 folks who ordered before you... if they can't... then you'll get it after 5/7 folks that ordered before you.

I am past the mad/frustrated stage, but my experience mirrors the above summary.

I originally decided to sell my 2018 P100D because I was having a LOT of MCU and computer related problems. I pleaded with Tesla to fix them and they refused. I realized that the price had dropped substantially since I bought my 2018 (which I bought in Q1, right before they upgraded the MCU's), so if I sold my MX and simply bought a new one, I'd get the new MCU and infotainment tech at a dramatically lower price. No brainer.

When I started working on it with local SA's, I learned of the refresh rumors. Icing on the cake. I was concerned about price increases and brought it up with my SA's. They assured me I would be "grandfathered" on price. Refresh gets announced and to get a comparable vehicle, I would actually be paying 20k more than anticipated (30k if I wanted FSD). Massive kick in the rocks. I had no choice, as I had already sold my MX. I reluctantly agreed to it - at least I'd be getting back into a new MX fairly soon. That was January 2021. Well, at least I had a pre-refresh order date. The plot thickens.

As you can imagine, I was frustrated and expressed this to my SA numerous times. That was at a time when we all actually thought our SA's could in some way be useful. Mine took my ire as a request to cancel my order and he went ahead and cancelled it. So, on top of all the frustration, if I wanted to buy the MX, I would have to re-order it, get in the back of the line and lose the $2k bone discount they threw at pre-refresh reservation holders. That's where I sit now.

It has all been incredibly frustrating, and as many have pointed out, there are unfortunately, no great alternatives. I did reserve a Rivian R1S in March as a hedge, but don't expect to see that any time in the near future.

I feel for you. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure when you ultimately get your MX AND your R1S you'll make $20,000,000/year from advertisements on your new YouTube comparison channel. It will all be worth it! 🤞 😂

What he said... Since you ordered the Rivian, any feedback or estimated delivery date (hahaha)? I've tried, unsuccessfully, to try to get a ballpark estimate, however, they are also being very coy and evasive.

I thought about just getting another ICE lease if my X order goes in to next year, but then I spent another $67 this morning to fill my SUV, after I just spent $60 less than a week ago…… I think I’ll Wait it out for the X
Very true, but I need to do some towing hence my disappointment with them coming out with less range than anticipated. I’ve been gas less since 2018 so it’s going to be uncomfortable. But at least the tundra TRD PRO I’m looking at has a hybrid engine, anticipating about 12000 dollars over 5 years of driving 15k miles a year which isn’t too bad.