Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations @Fulkth ,

What a gorgeous car...

You have shown great pictures of everything!!!

You showed the receiver hitch... and the detailed specs.

Someone earlier had asked about the "towing hook."
It is not for towing but for pulling the car onto a flatbed...
It is that large screw eye around the light in the frunk.

Congratulations again - Enjoy your wonderful car,

Shawn

What’s with this 120 lb vertical load rating for bikes? I’ve always thought max tongue weight was what you looked at for bike racks, which they have listed at 500 lbs. 120 lbs is nothing for a bike rack and bikes. Every other car site/forum has always mentioned tongue rating. Maybe it’s because the receiver is a 2-part piece compared to the traditional one piece on most cars..?

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I'll call and ask. It does seem like a mat might not work with the moving captain chairs, curious what older 6 seat models had. View attachment 731582
I have the all weather over the carpet but here are some pictures of the mat in a 2020 X (the repair shop installed it under the all weather mat so I’ve just left it). It leaves the area unprotected where the seat slides. Even with spills and vomits, we’ve never had any issues with that area being unprotected. Now the rest of the area… thank goodness for the all weather mat in the back!

Attachments

• CB739EAA-CFA0-478E-B863-73D569BC243E.jpeg
    CB739EAA-CFA0-478E-B863-73D569BC243E.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 84
  • C168B5E9-8996-4E84-A987-197DFCAF617A.jpeg
    C168B5E9-8996-4E84-A987-197DFCAF617A.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 83EA4C1B-BF5A-4FC9-AA5D-11D30042119E.jpeg
    83EA4C1B-BF5A-4FC9-AA5D-11D30042119E.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 74
What’s with this 120 lb vertical load rating for bikes? I’ve always thought max tongue weight was what you looked at for bike racks, which they have listed at 500 lbs. 120 lbs is nothing for a bike rack and bikes. Every other car site/forum has always mentioned tongue rating. Maybe it’s because the receiver is a 2-part piece compared to the traditional one piece on most cars..?
When you are towing, your ball/trailer weight is directly at the hitch mount point, or within 1 ft of it. Thus the "normal" tongue weight when towing a trailer is the 500 lb rating for MX.

On a bike rack, the weight is 3-4 ft from the hitch mount point, and due to the cantilever forces (the torque applied by the beam lever), the weight is multiplied by 2-4x easily. So the tongue weight rating drops dramatically and is cut by 1/2 to 1/4 the "normal" tongue weight for towing. Add to that the fact that bikes (especially heavy e-bikes) bounce around on bumps on freeways, and all that bouncing adds yet even higher torque forces via the beam lever when is then multiplied.
Good diagram/discussion thread of the forces here.

tl;dr: A 200 lb weight 3 feet past the tongue/hitch is going to translate to much more than 200 lb at the tongue/hitch.

Exciting to see these new pictures but at the same time, very disappointing to see so many things get worse. Possible range as discussed before. Missing mats but can live with that. Looks like the trunk is smaller too which is a real bummer.
Other than the new dash it’s proving to be a major bummer for me. I hope they at least are honest with the mats and deliver them later.

These are the original floor mats that came with my 2017 Model X. The back row had a floor mat too but it was shaped around the seat pillars. I only have them at home now because living in New England I upgraded to that brand "3D MaxPider" as I track in dirty snow all the time. (They are a good rubber custom fit - I saved them, I hope they still fit!

The stitching on these mats seems to be a bit more uniform too. I am not trying to put yours down but I would certainly follow up with your delivery center to see if this is really correct.

I would have showed you the back seat mat but I left it in the car. My X was hit by a semi and unfortunately totaled - hence me being here :)

View attachment 731616
View attachment 731617
Thanks, looks like my 2018 model 3 floor mats, material wise and stitching that is. No one at several delivery centers knew what should come with it, waiting to hear back via email what belongs with the vehicle at delivery.

Reactions: Elixir
Thanks, looks like my 2018 model 3 floor mats, material wise and stitching that is. No one at several delivery centers knew what should come with it, waiting to hear back via email what belongs with the vehicle at delivery.
Hope they get the rear mat to you at least. I think you said you’ve been in a few 6 seaters. Since the trunk area looks a bit smaller do you notice any more leg room in the 2nd/3rd rows?

If they don't include mats then those all weather ones on the site will be sold out pretty quickly. I would love to get to the bottom of whether or not they will fit so we can order them now.

I have a useless wall charger in my garage with 2 ICE cars. Might as well have some useless all weather X mats as well.

It will trully be amazing if my Plaid shows up with no rear mats. I think other brands would have authentic alligator leather floor mats in a $150k car.

When you are towing, your ball/trailer weight is directly at the hitch mount point, or within 1 ft of it. Thus the "normal" tongue weight when towing a trailer is the 500 lb rating for MX.

On a bike rack, the weight is 3-4 ft from the hitch mount point, and due to the cantilever forces (the torque applied by the beam lever), the weight is multiplied by 2-4x easily. So the tongue weight rating drops dramatically and is cut by 1/2 to 1/4 the "normal" tongue weight for towing. Add to that the fact that bikes (especially heavy e-bikes) bounce around on bumps on freeways, and all that bouncing adds yet even higher torque forces via the beam lever when is then multiplied.
Good diagram/discussion thread of the forces here.

tl;dr: A 200 lb weight 3 feet past the tongue/hitch is going to translate to much more than 200 lb at the tongue/hitch.
While I get it, what I don't get is how much of a difference there is between the X (120 pounds) vs the Y (160 pounds). I was thinking that if the tow rating was greater on the X, then the load ratings would be commensurate. So, the next question is whether getting an aftermarket hitch mount receiver would alleviate the problem or potentially cause a warranty issue. Nobody has been able to answer that in another thread thus far. Does anyone know of one that might be able to handle something closer to 200 pounds vertical weight?

Reactions: Fulkth
If they don't include mats then those all weather ones on the site will be sold out pretty quickly. I would love to get to the bottom of whether or not they will fit so we can order them now.

I have a useless wall charger in my garage with 2 ICE cars. Might as well have some useless all weather X mats as well.

It will trully be amazing if my Plaid shows up with no rear mats. I think other brands would have authentic alligator leather floor mats in a $150k car.
Based on how the trunk looks smaller I’m guessing that the rear floor and seat post positions have changed slightly.

Agreed, all other brands have stepped up their interior mats in this price range.

I have the all weather over the carpet but here are some pictures of the mat in a 2020 X (the repair shop installed it under the all weather mat so I’ve just left it). It leaves the area unprotected where the seat slides. Even with spills and vomits, we’ve never had any issues with that area being unprotected. Now the rest of the area… thank goodness for the all weather mat in the back!
Thanks! I'd definitely appreciate a mat in the back. I hate the look of the all weather mats personally and avoid them (I also live out in the land of no water so don't really worry about mud).

Heard back via email and called again - guess the mats should have been there but got delivered without to get it delivered. Guess it isn't the mats holding up delivery! Also confirmation that sunshades are discontinued. I was told to put in a service appointment in the app under other to get the mat mailed to my house
Screenshot_20211110-163050~2.png

Thanks! I'd definitely appreciate a mat in the back. I hate the look of the all weather mats personally and avoid them (I also live out in the land of no water so don't really worry about mud).

Heard back via email and called again - guess the mats should have been there but got delivered without to get it delivered. Guess it isn't the mats holding up delivery! Also confirmation that sunshades are discontinued. I was told to put in a service appointment in the app under other to get the mat mailed to my houseView attachment 731635
Some good news

Reactions: Elixir
Hope they get the rear mat to you at least. I think you said you’ve been in a few 6 seaters. Since the trunk area looks a bit smaller do you notice any more leg room in the 2nd/3rd rows?
It does feel a little bigger but it might be me. Does anyone have measurements on their 6 seater? I've got about 6 inches from third row foot well to captain chair sliding area, 23.5 inches for the sliding area, then about 9 inches to the front row support pillars.
PXL_20211111_004709091.jpg
PXL_20211111_004745719.jpg

It does feel a little bigger but it might be me. Does anyone have measurements on their 6 seater? I've got about 6 inches from third row foot well to captain chair sliding area, 23.5 inches for the sliding area, then about 9 inches to the front row support pillars.
Dude you are on fire! Thanks for taking the time and showing us all this!

How is the "real" range in your limited experience ?
Any sign that the rear entertainment screen can use bluetooth/usb-c headset for the audio ?

Hope you get 2021.40 soon that supposedly has the Active Noise Cancellation activation!

Enjoy!

Maybe that’s why they can’t deliver the X. They’re still waiting for the floor mats 😀
(oops just saw your earlier post)

Do
After reading @neo1738 post, I stopped by the Scottsdale showroom today and asked about changing my 5 seat order to a 6 seater for only the $6500 6 seat upgrade cost. The manager told me he knew who to email to make it happen. He said I should be getting my car sooner by making the change but had no idea when that might be. Now I am waiting for my reservation to update.
Any contact info for this person? Looking to make the change also