Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear, in order to get the 1.24% rate, you have to maintain a majority of your banking at DCU, otherwise is 1.75% (still great). I financed a portion of my X with them last week. My plan was to have an amount just over my payment direct deposited every month. They said that was not good enough, they needed my entire check deposited there every month. I chose to take the 1.75 rate because I have no desire to change everything and leave my credit union I have used since college.
That’s helpful thank you for letting me know. I may or may not do it at the 1.25% rate since I’m financing two cars so the extra half point is not insignificant.

Reactions: MIModX79
2 e-bikes is a lot of weight pressing in to the sheet aluminum. Enough to dent?

looking at something like this: Thule Gateway Pro 2 | Thule | United States

load capacity is 70lb, max bike weight is 35lb.
The struggle is real. Our bikes have fenders, and I didn't want to go through the palaver of removing and replacing them every time, so it limited my choices to a small number of platform racks vs the over-tire clamp variety. I went with the Saris Freedom 2 bike hitch, and it works really well. The hitch itself only weighs 20 lbs, and it can haul two e-bikes weighing up to 60 lbs each (so 120 lbs total). Our bikes are a little under 55lbs each, without the batteries and handlebar baskets, so the combined weight of the hitch and bikes is only 130 lbs, giving me 20 lbs of downforce margin / comfort / confidence 👍

The struggle is real. Our bikes have fenders, and I didn't want to go through the palaver of removing and replacing them every time, so it limited my choices to a small number of platform racks vs the over-tire clamp variety. I went with the Saris Freedom 2 bike hitch, and it works really well. The hitch itself only weighs 20 lbs, and it can haul two e-bikes weighing up to 60 lbs each (so 120 lbs total). Our bikes are a little under 55lbs each, without the batteries and handlebar baskets, so the combined weight of the hitch and bikes is only 130 lbs, giving me 20 lbs of downforce margin / comfort / confidence 👍
did you order a 5/7 seater? Just throw them in the back at this point.

jokes aside, just remember the closer you can get to the fulcrum of the adapter, the better your margin will be. at least the weight of the e-bike batteries are not at the ends of the rack, and more towards the center.

misunderstood what you meant. Still not a lot of room for error as it's overloading the rating by roughly 50%.
I see what you mean... you will have to use your judgment...

My idea is to unburden as much load as practical from the tow hitch... straps are one way, removing batteries and other extra weight is also important.

Another idea is to strap the tow hitch directly to the door (outer tip of tow hitch / rack directly to door to form a triangular support).

I see what you mean... you will have to use your judgment...

My idea is to unburden as much load as practical from the tow hitch... straps are one way, removing batteries and other extra weight is also important.

Another idea is to strap the tow hitch directly to the door (outer tip of tow hitch / rack directly to door to form a triangular support).
Actually removing batteries is a good idea. @BryWay is this easily done on your bikes?

Reactions: 1pinhigh
FYI. The official limit on the new MX is only 120lbs.

“The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.”

Maybe just pedal your bikes with your legs instead of a battery ya lazy weirdos

Attachments

• 7EA0AA6A-D67F-4A92-9CDD-ECC0F82D1C1C.gif
    7EA0AA6A-D67F-4A92-9CDD-ECC0F82D1C1C.gif
    983.1 KB · Views: 76
FYI. The official limit on the new MX is only 120lbs.

“The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.”
Thanks Grassright. Hasty mistake on my part. My partner just confirmed it's always been 54kg (120lbs) for both the legacy and refreshed MX, and boxed my ears for getting the weights of the bikes wrong. The margin we actually have (on our 2019) is 10 pounds, not 20, but we're still under. He said the bikes are under 45 lbs each (sans battery and basket). They're just under 55 lbs with those accessories attached.

All my previous cars just had tongue weight ratings. They didn’t specify a different rating for bikes. Maybe it’s the style of hitch used. But either way, I really don’t know what to do.

-80 lb bike 4-bike rack
-80 lb Rad Wagon
-60 lb Rad Mini
-25 lb kids bike
-25 lb kids bike

That puts me at 270. It was never an issue with my QX60 (500 lb), but it’s over double the 120 Tesla rating.

The answer seems to be an obvious don’t do it, but I’ve also read countless posts from users having no issues. One guy said he regularly puts his 400 lb motorcycle on there.

So what’s the solution? Do it? Don’t? What’s causing the low rating? The car? The hitch? The adapter? Can the factory hitch be replaced with a traditional one to give a higher rating?