Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid 6 seat white on white 20” no fsd ordered 9/21. Always showed April just updated to February date range! Devon PA

Attachments

• FB464295-BB40-420C-B296-DC50866B082F.png
    FB464295-BB40-420C-B296-DC50866B082F.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 85
Today was my one year order anniversary. I paid $6,500 extra for the 6 seat configuration, and was promised my car by December. It’s raining Plaids for people who ordered weeks ago, got a free 6 seat upgrade, and were never promised anything. I'm with Stro, I’ve checked out.
I’m close to checking out (and I have a Plaid in order).

I believe everyone in here is making a lot of assumptions regarding the reasoning for the plaid rollout prior to LR.

Everyone jumps to the monetary reasoning as to why the Plaids are being pushed, but how do we know it’s not a LR specific parts issue?

I thought I remember reading a while back the the current hold up was one of the motors for the LR. Whereas the plaid uses different motors entirely and they’re available.
You know, I would entertain that notion and give them the benefit of the doubt.... Except that they have a history of pulling this same bull sugar over and over again. Its well documented that they do this. In the past they have always prioritized deliveries of higher margin vehicles even before this part shortages issue was a thing.

It's not proven that LR motors are different. They just emphasize the carbon wrapping allows the plaid to maintain power curve but LR matches it just 33 percent less.

Tesla rarely has much difference, if any, between performance and regular cars.

CREAM.
All three motors on plaid are carbon wrapping. LR has one carbon wrapping in front one regular in the back

I believe everyone in here is making a lot of assumptions regarding the reasoning for the plaid rollout prior to LR.

Everyone jumps to the monetary reasoning as to why the Plaids are being pushed, but how do we know it’s not a LR specific parts issue?

I thought I remember reading a while back the the current hold up was one of the motors for the LR. Whereas the plaid uses different motors entirely and they’re available.
There is no jumping to conclusions about this. Tesla has almost ALWAYS prioritized highest margin vehicles first when figuring out deliveries. This was the case going back to 2015/2016 and is true today. If you order a performance model Tesla 3 or Y you will get it sooner before people ahead of you that have orders of long ranges.

If you are in a rush, i've always figured you just have to load up your tesla with options.

I still prefer this over going to a dealer. Aside from the $6,500 seat option with the fake promise of early delivery...at least with Tesla you know the price you will pay for a car. Its kind of like the Carmax model where there is no price discussion.

With traditional car dealers they have insane markups right now at least in so cal.

While it’s not a VIN, I finally have my first date range of Feb 10-Feb 27 for my original LR order placed last Jan 29th for delivery in Nashville.
I feel like this is good news for me since the only difference in our orders is exterior color. I ordered 2 days before so I’m sure I’ll get mine in July next year 😑😑 Congrats though! Make sure to post a hen you get a delivery date, I’m 8 min from the delivery center.

Reactions: rdmdriving
I feel like this is good news for me since the only difference in our orders is exterior color. I ordered 2 days before so I’m sure I’ll get mine in July next year 😑😑 Congrats though! Make sure to post a hen you get a delivery date, I’m 8 min from the delivery center.
Oh I can promise the Minute I have a VIN I'm posting it!!! It will be like a Christmas Miracle in Feb if the dates stick

Wow they also changed default interior pic on their website to 6 seat pic. Previously it was 5 or 7 seat.View attachment 759927
🧐 hmmm... seating for seven. I guess someone is either doubled up, in the trunk or in the frunk - if you order the Plaid.

It's roughly a year and a half away if you do a new order today for a 5 seater (May 2023), but 4 months earlier if you order a 7 (Jan 2023)...just awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: rdmdriving
There is no jumping to conclusions about this. Tesla has almost ALWAYS prioritized highest margin vehicles first when figuring out deliveries. This was the case going back to 2015/2016 and is true today. If you order a performance model Tesla 3 or Y you will get it sooner before people ahead of you that have orders of long ranges.
If you are in a rush, i've always figured you just have to load up your tesla with options.

I still prefer this over going to a dealer. Aside from the $6,500 seat option with the fake promise of early delivery...at least with Tesla you know the price you will pay for a car. Its kind of like the Carmax model where there is no price discussion.

With traditional car dealers they have insane markups right now at least in so cal.
By this logic Tesla would be prioritizing manufacture and delivery of S/X over 3/Y if we basing this move on margin alone.

I’m thinking that more with Q1- ‘21 orders will get their VINs for February if you had a trade in. Once the 30 day valuation runs out, your car is viewed as a year older from the last valuation in Dec. Tesla probably didn’t want to take the hit for the value dropping with so many LR orders and just waited til they ran out so we would take the $3-4k+ drop.

By this logic Tesla would be prioritizing manufacture and delivery of S/X over 3/Y if we basing this move on margin alone.
within a specific car model when they are deciding which ones to build.

To be honest, i'm surprised they delivered LR before Plaid which is unlike how they have prioritized.

Here's my hypothesis on a few of the recent changes we're seeing in the Model X ramp. I could be completely off track here, but I have a hunch some of these decisions are driven by their corporate finance teams.

1) There was a significant capital investment to retool the S/X production line last year. Since that capital project is now complete, the depreciation of that investment is now flowing through on the income statement. To minimize that new depreciation expense and show decent gross margins, you either need to have high volume at lower margins or low volume at higher margins. So until they are able to ramp up the volume of the lower margin Long Range, the Plaid will probably take priority since it's a higher margin product. I'm sure there are factors limiting them from reaching high volumes right now, such as supply chain shortages, staffing, production line tweaks, QA validation, etc.

2) Since the Plaid has different colored piping in the front & rear seats than the LR, they probably decided to simplify seat production and eliminate a rear seat variation that would have required that special colored piping. History shows Tesla likes to minimize production variations in order to optimize inventory and production throughput. For the LR 5/7 seats, it would be nice if the delay was due to a redesign of middle row seat to include the fold down armrest similar to the Model S. That would be a nice addition to include the wireless charging pads in that middle row.