Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can somebody here confirm if I have anger issues from all this waiting? Whenever I open up the Tesla website and click on the Model X page, I just want to smack that guy in the car. Because he is driving an X and I'm not.....

1643124647446.png

Same here... Really starting to dislike Tesla as a company with their underhanded tactics like; getting people to shell out an extra $6500 for 6 seat upgrade dangling the promise of a 2021 delivery which never happened......The F.U. Attitude towards folks who have been waiting close to a year for a vehicle with zero communication or updates....... and the final straw suddenly prioritizing Plaids to the point that people who ordered just a few weeks ago are getting VINs.... and all because it provides an extra 20k or so for them, as if they are a starving company on the brink of bankruptcy who needs the extra margins. Man if it wasn't because I really love the car itself and the charging network I would have walked a long time ago from this cesspool of a dishonest scummy company.
You're reading this forum a little too much. There are inferences made here *all the time* that become commonly-believed facts that turn out to not be true at all.

Take a deep breath, and take everything said here with a heap of salt.

The "suddenly prioritizing Plaids" thing is a prime example. I've already gotten two VINs (one rejected). Both are LR X's.

I’m thinking that more with Q1- ‘21 orders will get their VINs for February if you had a trade in. Once the 30 day valuation runs out, your car is viewed as a year older from the last valuation in Dec. Tesla probably didn’t want to take the hit for the value dropping with so many LR orders and just waited til they ran out so we would take the $3-4k+ drop.
I have a pending trade-in of my 2018. Every month they ask me to update the mileage. Every six months they want a new set of photos. In my case they keep INCREASING the value. I started last July at 71,900. They are now offering me 82,500 for it, and it has 12,000 more miles on the clock! Go figure. I have a LR 5 passenger on order, but have no idea when I'll see it, although EDD is now March.

Here's my hypothesis on a few of the recent changes we're seeing in the Model X ramp. I could be completely off track here, but I have a hunch some of these decisions are driven by their corporate finance teams.

1) There was a significant capital investment to retool the S/X production line last year. Since that capital project is now complete, the depreciation of that investment is now flowing through on the income statement. To minimize that new depreciation expense and show decent gross margins, you either need to have high volume at lower margins or low volume at higher margins. So until they are able to ramp up the volume of the lower margin Long Range, the Plaid will probably take priority since it's a higher margin product. I'm sure there are factors limiting them from reaching high volumes right now, such as supply chain shortages, staffing, production line tweaks, QA validation, etc.

2) Since the Plaid has different colored piping in the front & rear seats than the LR, they probably decided to simplify seat production and eliminate a rear seat variation that would have required that special colored piping. History shows Tesla likes to minimize production variations in order to optimize inventory and production throughput. For the LR 5/7 seats, it would be nice if the delay was due to a redesign of middle row seat to include the fold down armrest similar to the Model S. That would be a nice addition to include the wireless charging pads in that middle row.
Also don't forget that Model Y production is moving to Texas soon. That has to provide a ton of capacity, for additional X and S.

Can somebody here confirm if I have anger issues from all this waiting? Whenever I open up the Tesla website and click on the Model X page, I just want to smack that guy in the car. Because he is driving an X and I'm not.....

View attachment 759958
Much of Tesla's imagery is at least partially synthetic. He was probably sitting on a box in a studio. Or is not a real person. See This Person Does Not Exist, and refresh the page to get new synthetic people, that do not need to get paid. We can do much with Machine Learning.

Last edited:
I have a pending trade-in of my 2018. Every month they ask me to update the mileage. Every six months they want a new set of photos. In my case they keep INCREASING the value. I started last July at 71,900. They are now offering me 82,500 for it, and it has 12,000 more miles on the clock! Go figure. I have a LR 5 passenger on order, but have no idea when I'll see it, although EDD is now March.
What're you trading in?

They wanted to give me $65,000 for my 2019 pristine Raven LR S :(

View attachment 759958

The grin looks like he is actually mocking you personally...

Oh I can promise the Minute I have a VIN I'm posting it!!! It will be like a Christmas Miracle in Feb if the dates stick
I don’t think dates are sticking. Most have shifted back. I started with 21 Jan - 6 Feb. Then when I got to 22 Jan, it changed to 24 Jan - 9 Feb. Then today on 25 Jan, it changed to 27 Jan - 12 Feb. I don’t have a VIN.

It’s almost worse than having a TBD because I actually started to list my car for sale because of the explicit near term dates. Now I’m just slow rolling buyers and not budging on price until I get an actual VIN.

What're you trading in?
They wanted to give me $65,000 for my 2019 pristine Raven LR S :(
The 2018 in my signature below. X100D | June 2018 | Deep Blue Metallic | Cream/Oak | 5 seat | FSD l PUP. The last time I checked Tesla's used inventory, they had no 2018 100Ds, only 75Ds, listed for more than I am paying for my NEW LR 2022 (pre price increase) with similar mileage. I didn't look for any S.

S has been Tesla's lowest demand car for a while. People want the zipping in and out of the 3 or the space of CUV/SUV vehicles aka Y and X.

S has more space and cargo room than Y and most SUVs. Not buying it. Tesla just has new S rolling out for half a year and no Xs for 13 months and counting. It'll change for the X once the LR hits any volume.

My S trade in was 49800 2 months ago and dropped 5k last week. I was totally fine with nearly 50k but 44800 sucks.

You couldn't pay me for a 3. You can fit kids and road trip stuff much less day to day life like Costco. S is cavernous and so sexy.

I think demand is also tempered by 400k Ss made over a decade vs 250k Xs total.

Someone previously pointed out that the refreshed X looks a lot higher than normal. I noticed the same thing this past weekend -- my store (Littleton, Colorado) had a MXP on the lot and the first thing I saw was how the suspension looked like it was set to high mode (see pictures). Even my wife noticed the ride height and she normally doesn't pick up on those details. Hopefully this is just a setting for transport.

Separately, a note inside the car said it was awaiting "paint correction" -- I didn't see anything obvious that needed fixing but I didn't look that closely.

Attached are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Pushed back for the third time. What the hell is going on over in Fremont? Why won’t anyone pick up their ****ing phone? Why can’t I get a single answer out of anyone that I eventually get a hold of?

I don’t blame Tesla for a global supply chain issue; however, they CHOOSE how to engage and treat customers.

Attachments

• 2E84D3D8-E924-4BA5-9605-348AF9DD2F42.jpeg
    2E84D3D8-E924-4BA5-9605-348AF9DD2F42.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 83