Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an August delivery now... but I have a LR white with white interior... so i'm not holding my breath. I'll be happy when we start seeing the line actually start producing cars. I hope they don't do the plaids first on the X too.... and do a mix. Then there's the seat configs... a whole lot of variables.
Do you all in the US see expected dates now? I had a steady November date throughout for the MX LR earlier and so did a friend from the NL but our dates disappeared along with a few others in the EU a good month or so ago. Not sure if that is positive or negative hope but new MX orders now say Q1 2022 as estimated delivery.

I have an August delivery now... but I have a LR white with white interior... so i'm not holding my breath. I'll be happy when we start seeing the line actually start producing cars. I hope they don't do the plaids first on the X too.... and do a mix. Then there's the seat configs... a whole lot of variables.
I think they’ll do Plaid Xs first just like the S and the original performance models. I don’t think there will be as many though, so I am not concerned. Regardless, Tesla has no incentive to deliver in August, so I think September is when we will see the first deliveries of the X.

Reactions: lsds and Elixir
Between here and Reddit, I haven’t seen any. That said, I am “just” LR. I learned from my P90D that the extra money for acceleration wasn’t worth it (to me).
I haven't either wonder if they will be pushed out later. Considered the LR but the model 3 i was going to trade in for it im going to just end up letting my wife take over. And for me the plaid X made more sense than getting the jeep trackhawk plus modding or keeping my Z06 vette that went up in price like crazy this year and modding.

Last edited:
Variable-ratio steering is ancient technology that would have been relatively easy to implement if they wanted to focus on hardware instead of software.
I haven't either wonder if they will be pushed out later. Considered the LR but the model 3 i was going to trade in for it im going to just end up letting my wife take over. And for me the plaid X made more sense than getting the jeep trackhawk plus modding or keeping my Z06 vette that went up in price like crazy this year and modding.
Wonder who will be first to install a spinner knob on their yoke. Think it would solve all these concerns.

Having owned performance S's and X's (along with the performance versions of BMW, Volvo, Porsche and MB), I thought I was a prime candidate for the Y. I don't need the people carrying features of the X and only occasionally haul stuff.
I love acceleration and handling. On paper the Y will not accelerate faster than my Ludicrous X, but it sure feels like it does. It handles far better and makes taking turns too fast a real pleasure. I considered it for maybe 3 seconds. The noise level, ride, and overall luxury features of the X are superior enough to keep my mind interested only those brief 3 seconds.
For those like me who are trading in an X on an X, I recommend telling all about your plans.
There is a lot of interest in used Model Xs right now.....more than I have ever seen.

So, dropped my car off for service this morning and there were a couple Plaid and LR refresh S's sitting there awaiting delivery

1) Looks like Plaid and LR use the same brake setup. That's certainly a choice...
2) Rear caliper looks the same as the one on the pre-refresh cars, but the front looks like a new 6-piston job very similar to the one on the Panamera
3) The rotors are indeed solid, which is also...something. I predict much angst over the stock Plaid brake system amongst the hoon crowd
4) The interior looks nice but I wasn't like HOLY CRAP WHAT AN AMAZING IMPROVEMENT. I suspect the interface and graphics and speed are where the real OMG's will be. Looks-wise, I'm not sure I like it better than the old setup...the center hump is pretty humpy, and while it's a more fluid arc it seems like it uses up a lot of space. That's forgiveable if the center console is more flexible and useful, TBD...losing that nice low, flat surface from the dash to the armrest kinda sucks. Also, if there really is more space allowed by a smaller dash, it wasn't obvious from outside. The back seat screen seems pretty stupid. I'm sure having something integrated back there is nice, but it also seems very much like they didn't want to engineer a proper dual-screen setup for the car because it would ahve caused seat parts costs to skyrocket (lots of commonality in the backrests across the entire lineup now). At least there won't be much glare because they finally put a sunshade in the glass ro...oh
5) Yoke looks dumber in person somehow, yet seeing it in person it's also probably fine too. The adaptation process for the average bear will be annoying AF though
6) Still want to try one before I order, in Model X form, but, the rollout is happening faster than I expected now that they've released them onto the world, so I have hope I'll be able to check one out in the flesh by end of the year.
7) It's time to open another service center in St. Louis. They're out of space.
8) The new fender cameras/indicators look hilariously large

Last edited:
So, dropped my car off for service this morning and there were a couple Plaid and LR refresh S's sitting there awaiting delivery

1) Looks like Plaid and LR use the same brake setup. That's certainly a choice...
2) Rear caliper looks the same as the one on the pre-refresh cars, but the front looks like a new 6-piston job very similar to the one on the Panamera
3) The rotors are indeed solid, which is also...something. I predict much angst over the stock Plaid brake system amongst the hoon crowd
4) The interior looks nice but I wasn't like HOLY CRAP WHAT AN AMAZING IMPROVEMENT. I suspect the interface and graphics and speed are where the real OMG's will be. Looks-wise, I'm not sure I like it better than the old setup...the center hump is pretty humpy, and while it's a more fluid arc it seems like it uses up a lot of space. That's forgiveable if the center console is more flexible and useful, TBD...losing that nice low, flat surface from the dash to the armrest kinda sucks. Also, if there really is more space allowed by a smaller dash, it wasn't obvious from outside. The back seat screen seems pretty stupid. I'm sure having something integrated back there is nice, but it also seems very much like they didn't want to engineer a proper dual-screen setup for the car because it would ahve caused seat parts costs to skyrocket (lots of commonality in the backrests across the entire lineup now). At least there won't be much glare because they finally put a sunshade in the glass ro...oh
5) Yoke looks dumber in person somehow, yet seeing it in person it's also probably fine too. The adaptation process for the average bear will be annoying AF though
6) Still want to try one before I order, in Model X form, but, the rollout is happening faster than I expected now that they've released them onto the world, so I have hope I'll be able to check one out in the flesh by end of the year.
7) It's time to open another service center in St. Louis. They're out of space.
8) The new fender cameras/indicators look hilariously large
Were you lucky enough to snap some pics, specifically of the back seat and trunk? I’m wondering if should get a model S instead of x. I currently have a 3 and it’s too small and annoying to haul a 75lb doggo in the backseat for any length of time.

Back seat of S is annoying AF to get in and out of (and get kids in and out of) because of the door shape and opening size, IMO. But it's nice back there once you're in there. I think 3 is better in that regard (ingress/egress) bcease Model 3's door opening is just a better design for human-shaped and sized humans to use. And no I didn't snap any photos, it was rainy anyway. It doesn't look like a huge improvement in back seat space compared to my S loaner, which reminded me why I didn't get an S (back seat, love the rest of the car except for the doors not being powered because now all cars without powered doors feel broken)

But that being said, the S is a hatchback and the 3 isn't - for dog hauling, that's a game-changer