Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who wants to wait for the production to shake out before accepting delivery? The X is notoriously complicated. Elon described it as a product of hubris (which is insane for Elon to even mention).
I've always thought the same. I don't want a rough cut car that had final fixes added in the parking lot. I plan on not accepting delivery until at least three months after initial cars have been delivered.

Reactions: Hebert and croman
I've always thought the same. I don't want a rough cut car that had final fixes added in the parking lot. I plan on not accepting delivery until at least three months after initial cars have been delivered.

To add to that, currently all model S cars have delivery holds, so even Tesla knows some stuff needs fixes before it is confident to deliver.

I'll wait and continue monitoring. I've got an S that is great and so I'm not in a hurry. I know others have different situations but the bottom line for me is that the X adds many layers of complexity over the S and they don't even have the S quite right.

At least as importantly, I’d like a test drive. Our kids keep getting bigger and if this is going to replace the minivan as the road trip car, it needs to be comfy for all.
If you just want to evaluate it for space, test driving the "old" X will give you all the info you need. The interior space is exactly the same and I doubt the seats etc are different enough to change the characteristics you're interested in. I have a 9 and 13 year old plus a 50 lb dog. Everyone is very comfortable on road trips in the X. The flat floor in the second row with space under the seats is a favorite location for the dog (although, to my chagrin, she also likes to lay on the seat between the kids).

Am I the only one who wants to wait for the production to shake out before accepting delivery? The X is notoriously complicated. Elon described it as a product of hubris (which is insane for Elon to even mention).
Isn't 95% of the new MX the same? I think most of the original equipment has been vetted by now and our friends getting delivery of the new MS are debugging the new stuff for us. :)

Reactions: focher
Isn't 95% of the new MX the same? I think most of the original equipment has been vetted by now and our friends getting delivery of the new MS are debugging the new stuff for us. :)

S refresh owners note general manufacturing competence has increased tremendously. Panel gaps, internal build, etc, has improved.

Also there are many little changes throughout the refresh that are going to be implemented differently between the two platforms (which are increasingly divergent).

If you just want to evaluate it for space, test driving the "old" X will give you all the info you need. The interior space is exactly the same and I doubt the seats etc are different enough to change the characteristics you're interested in. I have a 9 and 13 year old plus a 50 lb dog. Everyone is very comfortable on road trips in the X. The flat floor in the second row with space under the seats is a favorite location for the dog (although, to my chagrin, she also likes to lay on the seat between the kids).
Well, thank you for this post. Ironically, I'm literally got the same family situation (including the dog - and her attitude) and am moving from an S to an X whenever they can deliver.

Reactions: Hebert and croman
That would assume any Tesla locations have the “old” X in stock for test drives…. :)

I’d like the 6-seater for the space in the middle… but I wonder whether the kids can sleep in the middle row seats when the seat backs don’t recline. I also wonder whether the back-row kids will have enough space not to aggravate each other. And I wonder how much luggage we can actually fit. Stuff like that. I’ve seen videos but no substitute for hands on!

Reactions: croman
I loved my six seat configuration. My kids (who are 6’+) loved the backseats, too. The third row was a bit awkward, but no one seemed to mind.

All that said, can any current or former MX owner weigh in on 5 or 7 seater? I am pretty sure I’ll stick with 6 seater, but thought I’d feel out the crowd on the alternatives.
I personally never saw much advantage to the 6 seater. It does give an easier entrance into the third row, so if you plan to heavily utilize those seats it could be of value. But the flip side is that you're giving up a seat, which personally defeats the benefit of the third row of seats for us - those rare times when we just need a few extra seats for people. The third row is pretty cramped, so it's really only fitting for kids / small adults and I would never expect someone to sit there on a road trip.

But if you only need 4 seats most of the time and 2 more some of the time, and can use the space in between the two second row seats then I can see the benefit.

By the way, if someone really wanted to test drive an X and the Tesla showroom (if you have one nearby) doesn't have one then Turo is another decent alternative to rent one for a day. Not free, but gives your a lot more time to really appreciate the car.

I personally never saw much advantage to the 6 seater. It does give an easier entrance into the third row, so if you plan to heavily utilize those seats it could be of value. But the flip side is that you're giving up a seat, which personally defeats the benefit of the third row of seats for us - those rare times when we just need a few extra seats for people. The third row is pretty cramped, so it's really only fitting for kids / small adults and I would never expect someone to sit there on a road trip.

But if you only need 4 seats most of the time and 2 more some of the time, and can use the space in between the two second row seats then I can see the benefit.

By the way, if someone really wanted to test drive an X and the Tesla showroom (if you have one nearby) doesn't have one then Turo is another decent alternative to rent one for a day. Not free, but gives your a lot more time to really appreciate the car.
I’m coming from an S. Three kids plus dog. Going for six seater b/c our minivan with multiple configurations ends up in the same format: two seats in the second row two seats in the back row. It works well for the dog to lie in between the two seats and the kids don’t seem to mind the third row. My only concern is the lack of cargo space when the third row is up, which is not a problem the minivan.

Having had the 7-seater for a while now I can see the appeal of the 6-seater if you're using the 3rd row a lot and don't need the extra cargo space or seating position. Especially in Dog carrying if you have a dog who can chill out on the floor (some can't). The extra foot room under the captains' chairs and the lack of a center headrest would be nice once in a while. Then again, it's also nice to have the dog contained somewhat in case of emergency.

Also, re: cargo space behind the 3rd row in X - it's fine, it's just vertical instead of horizontal because you need to use the trunk well and then stack anything else above the load floor. Same as our neighbor's odyssey gets used IRL (they just ditched the rear floor and let the well underneath swallow backpacks and such in a pile). And, of course, frunk. My favorite feature of the car is how much room for people and crap they packaged into a vehicle that's significantly more compact than a minivan, considering it's also equipped with two variable-geometry hardtop convertible tops and shaped like a suppository with a handle on the back. The 6-seater blows some of that up but it's not like anybody really needs an 8'x4' sheet of drywall that often

Last edited:
I loved my six seat configuration. My kids (who are 6’+) loved the backseats, too. The third row was a bit awkward, but no one seemed to mind.

All that said, can any current or former MX owner weigh in on 5 or 7 seater? I am pretty sure I’ll stick with 6 seater, but thought I’d feel out the crowd on the alternatives.
We have one 2017 7 seater, and debating heavily again for 2nd x and went for another 7. From a wow perspective and making the x feel breezy and roomier, 6 is it. From a practicality perspective, with three kids we prob will keep back seat down and use trunk for luggage or if parents in law with us on rare occasions. From taking random purchases from Costco to big folded boxes to the recycling center the 7 seat has been useful.

Reactions: focher and geometro
Went down to the SC today. Asked about my MX LR And when they thought it would be ready. I ordered mine 1/24. He said they wouldn’t be making X's until 4th quarter probably. I don’t think they have a clue. Then I said I wanted to check that my order noted my $2,000 discount. He said no, but that he would request it now and they would let me know in a few days if it was approved or not. Approved or not? Are you kidding me? What is wrong with these guys?

Reactions: EL0NTRK
Having had the 7-seater for a while now I can see the appeal of the 6-seater if you're using the 3rd row a lot and don't need the extra cargo space or seating position. Especially in Dog carrying if you have a dog who can chill out on the floor (some can't). The extra foot room under the captains' chairs and the lack of a center headrest would be nice once in a while. Then again, it's also nice to have the dog contained somewhat in case of emergency.

Also, re: cargo space behind the 3rd row in X - it's fine, it's just vertical instead of horizontal because you need to use the trunk well and then stack anything else above the load floor. Same as our neighbor's odyssey gets used IRL (they just ditched the rear floor and let the well underneath swallow backpacks and such in a pile). And, of course, frunk. My favorite feature of the car is how much room for people and crap they packaged into a vehicle that's significantly more compact than a minivan, considering it's also equipped with two variable-geometry hardtop convertible tops and shaped like a suppository with a handle on the back. The 6-seater blows some of that up but it's not like anybody really needs an 8'x4' sheet of drywall that often

You've essentially hit the nail on the head - "IF you don't need the extra cargo space...". More often than not I need the flexibility of the cargo space but also want to be able to carry more than 5 people. The 6 seater's middle row doesn't fold and the 7's bench doesn't have an option for longer objects such as skis.

2 design changes would make a world of difference:
  • for the 6 seater - make the middle row captain's chairs foldable.
  • for the 7 seater - give the middle row a fold down center (a la model S rear seat) as both a pass-through and giving it a middle row console.
That would make it a harder choice for myself but better overall functionality, especially when it comes to versatility of cargo space. I have to say that's where the likes of the Dodge Caravan wins hands down in versatility.

It’s true that I’d prefer a 7-seater with a foldable & removable middle middle seat. (Just like the minivan.)

I think we’ll keep the minivan, mainly for the cargo capacity but also for the very occasional cases where we have the whole family and a couple friends, or whatever. It’s old enough to not be worth much as a trade-in anyway.

40/20/40 second row is the right solution for that IMO. Maybe they'll remember they already make one in the Model Y and give the X the upgrade one day heh

You might be surprised what the old van is worth these days. Bet somebody would offer you $100k for it if it's a rare color in a good trim level just hype it a little on insta first. We have a pickup truck for big jobs/beater duty and it's quickly closing in on being worth more in 2021 dollars than I paid for it brand new in 2014 dollars...with 57,000 miles on it! But I'd rather just keep it and enjoy not being in this crazy car market right now...

Last edited: