Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much contemplation I am fairly certain I'm just not cut out to own a Tesla. There are a handful of glaring negatives, and with they type of business use it will see from time to time, I really need an ICE truck or SUV. One thing that does keep me on the hook is the potential to sell the MX and turn a profit. Meaning literally buy the car and turn around and sell it with maybe a few hundred miles. Has anyone had experience doing this? Obviously today's car market is different than it ever has been.

I'm fairly certain there's no way to sell my reservation, so rather than loose $100, why not entertain the possibility of making many thousands of dollars profit.

Pros, cons, feedback is appreciated.

FWIW my MXLR order still has an EDD of January, White/Black 5 seater

• Funny
Reactions: focher
After much contemplation I am fairly certain I'm just not cut out to own a Tesla. There are a handful of glaring negatives, and with they type of business use it will see from time to time, I really need an ICE truck or SUV. One thing that does keep me on the hook is the potential to sell the MX and turn a profit. Meaning literally buy the car and turn around and sell it with maybe a few hundred miles. Has anyone had experience doing this? Obviously today's car market is different than it ever has been.

I'm fairly certain there's no way to sell my reservation, so rather than loose $100, why not entertain the possibility of making many thousands of dollars profit.

I think this is possible. I did it with my model S plaid several months ago. I only raised the price high enough to pay for my taxes, but I’m certain I could’ve raised it much higher. That said, the landscape changed and there was inventory available from Tesla immediately after I sold mine to a third-party. So, if you plan to do this, whether or not you will be able to turn a profit will probably depend on how much inventory is available from Tesla.

A few people prior in her and MS forum have expressed similar sentiment. I think when all was said and done the only way to make money (besides finding some desperate fool who will pay way over) is if you have a pre price increase order because that essentially cancels out your sales tax. Other nuances depending on what state you live in. My advice, don’t sell it. These vehicles are marvels of engineering. I waitedfor my MSP and when I finally got it and drove it it was like listening to the Beatles for the first time.

Actually for me the only things that make the X superior to the S are the presenting door and seat height. I'm sure I am in the minority of buyers but those are big enough advantages to make the X a no brainer.
My wife loves the FWD on the X. I offered MS + MY to her, but she declined. If we are buying a Tesla, there must be an X with that FWD. TBH, I just feel I spent 100K+ for two doors.

Same boat on keeping order and selling. I bought a 2020 MX used in May to get me by and not selling as it has somethings I would miss like a round wheel and real turn signals.

That said, on top of sales tax at time of sale, also owe Capital Gains Tax on any profit. Can't write off loss on all the cars you sell, but Gov is going to tax the Gains. It's true. So that eats into any profit.

Reactions: lauraut
I just spoke with a local advisor about the changing to 6 seats. She said they have a team that is reaching out to a select group giving this option and that she would not be able to do it on her end. I said what if I just have you change it would it help? Probably not, was the response. She did say that my LR model S most likely will be delivered before year end, I have the black with cream option and they are running that configuration now!

Reactions: TWENT2
That's it exactly. It shouldn't be that hard to make it fold over - and the armrests aren't a hard add-on for the pricing either. Such a head scratcher after all this time. Still wish the middle row of the 7 seater had a pass-through/armrest (a la Model S with the wireless chargers and cupholders) option for things like skis or long objects. I know that the 3rd row it wouldn't make sense since it's cramped back there. Does the rear most fold down individually or is it a bench (I can't remember)?
My guess is that the 6-seat captain's chairs aren't foldable due to crash requirements. In the 5/7 seat config, the seat backs latch to the frame of the car. The captain's chair seat backs have to fully support the occupant with only being connected to the floor. I'm guessing this requires a much beefier hinge mechanism that prevents folding flat?

Unless you are an early order and are paying the pre-refresh price, this probably will not work. You will have to pay taxes and registration and Tesla will ramp quickly. There were MS inventory cars available pretty soon after launch.

My guess is that the 6-seat captain's chairs aren't foldable due to crash requirements. In the 5/7 seat config, the seat backs latch to the frame of the car. The captain's chair seat backs have to fully support the occupant with only being connected to the floor. I'm guessing this requires a much beefier hinge mechanism that prevents folding flat?
how is this any different to the front seats though, which have hinging mechanisms?

Other SUVs don't have a battery that runs underneath the entire length of the vehicle. When Captain chairs fold down in other cars, they fold under the floor with a 2 step hinge. Where would they go in a Tesla?
As far as I know the only vehicle in which the captains chairs fold down into the floor is the Chrysler Pacifica minivan which I happen to own. I believe Chrysler has a patent on this and no other SUV or minivan offer this feature.

Reactions: DIL
At this point it looks like a blank delivery date is actually a good thing as from what I can tell the only people getting an EDD in January have a 7 or 5 seat configuration. My 6 seat configuration is still blank along with most other 6 seat orders which makes sense since Tesla reps are telling people the 6 seater will be produced before the end of the year.
I am blank with a 5 seat configuration and ordered January pre-refresh, so I’m not sure that theory holds water.

Reactions: Tezhed9802
As far as I know the only vehicle in which the captains chairs fold down into the floor is the Chrysler Pacifica minivan which I happen to own. I believe Chrysler has a patent on this and no other SUV or minivan offer this feature.
Mercedes-Benz Gl, GLS, even 5 seat MX MS MY and others offer a fully flat floor behind the two front seats for UTILITY-carrying stuff. That all we’re asking for.

• Disagree
Reactions: DIL
Thank you for the replies. I do have a pre-increase order @ $89,990. So, my account shows a breakdown with taxes and fees totaling $97,101 out the door.

So, like others have said, what that car is worth to someone second hand the biggest factor will be what supply is available from Tesla in 3-4 months and what the wait time would be if there isn't an unsold supply sitting on dealer lots.

Unfortunately I don't have $97k to just pay cash and find a buyer to sign a title over to. I'd have to finance it, and if a private sale, find a buyer who would trust me to payoff the car with their funds, hand over the title, etc. An ideal scenario would be to sell to a dealer who can handle the payoff and such. But with $97k invested, say I wanted to make $5k, I'm not sure how many dealers would pay $102k for the car to then try and resell at a profit. I'm sure they would ask $110k and maybe take a little less. Not sure how realistic that it, but also no one is sure what the next 3-4 month holds for the country, the world, etc in general. That and laying out $97k to maybe make only $5k isn't the smartest investment.

I live in FL so I doubt any capital gains would be a factor, but i'm no CPA either.

Thank you for the replies. I do have a pre-increase order @ $89,990. So, my account shows a breakdown with taxes and fees totaling $97,101 out the door.

So, like others have said, what that car is worth to someone second hand the biggest factor will be what supply is available from Tesla in 3-4 months and what the wait time would be if there isn't an unsold supply sitting on dealer lots.

Unfortunately I don't have $97k to just pay cash and find a buyer to sign a title over to. I'd have to finance it, and if a private sale, find a buyer who would trust me to payoff the car with their funds, hand over the title, etc. An ideal scenario would be to sell to a dealer who can handle the payoff and such. But with $97k invested, say I wanted to make $5k, I'm not sure how many dealers would pay $102k for the car to then try and resell at a profit. I'm sure they would ask $110k and maybe take a little less. Not sure how realistic that it, but also no one is sure what the next 3-4 month holds for the country, the world, etc in general. That and laying out $97k to maybe make only $5k isn't the smartest investment.

I live in FL so I doubt any capital gains would be a factor, but i'm no CPA either.
Just cancel your order and move on? Is it worth the hassle?