Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally thought the screen on the old S/X looked like garbage. I prefer the updated look. But we are all different and don’t expect everyone to like the same thing.
I think the screen inset is one of the major aesthetic upgrades over the 3/y which looks like a cheap floating ipad. I don’t think it looks better than the original vertical screen, but Tesla made the change for the obvious reason that the higher horizontal configuration is more functional.

The LR X will solidify your street cred at the school drop offs against minivans and gas SUVs! It’s tough but just avoid the drag strip on the way home and you’ll be safe!

If you do race an X Plaid be sure to give them the 1 foot rollout so they can get the claimed time. Sorry, couldn’t resist kicking up that old debate! 😂
And watch out for that other person in the school drop off with an S Plaid. They will beat you to the next corner on the way to get an after dropoff coffee.

List some of the extra features/upgrades/modifications you expected to justify the premium. Battery range aside.
I am a bit surprised that the exterior is largely unchanged. It can barely be considered a mid-cycle refresh. Aside from the bumper skins, the exterior panels and lighting are visually the same as before. I would have thought that at least the lighting design would have been updated. Perhaps also offer active lighting as well as the kind of animations you see on new Mercedes and Audis, or even OLED. It would be a nice detail that would work well with the Christmas dance easter egg. Which hopefully has also been updated.

I am a bit surprised that the exterior is largely unchanged. It can barely be considered a mid-cycle refresh. Aside from the bumper skins, the exterior panels and lighting are visually the same as before. I would have thought that at least the lighting design would have been updated. Perhaps also offer active lighting as well as the kind of animations you see on new Mercedes and Audis, or even OLED. It would be a nice detail that would work well with the Christmas dance easter egg. Which hopefully has also been updated.
I am not a real fan of the Mercedes displays. There are a lot of them and they look stretched horizontally. I prefer something closer to the screen I stare in the office all day.

I am not a real fan of the Mercedes displays. There are a lot of them and they look stretched horizontally. I prefer something closer to the screen I stare in the office all day.
I was only talking about the exterior lighting. Completely agree with you. I’ve lost any love for Mercedes interiors. With the gummybear ambient lighting everywhere and the entire dashboard being a series of screens, it’s as if they were designed by the same guys who created bloomberg terminals, karaoke machines and neon palm trees. It’s so colorful and messy to be in your face all the time.

On this note...
This may be a very controversial opinion but personally I was expecting a lot more out of the Model S/X refresh and was quite frankly disappointed to see the upgrades modifications they made.

Obviously everyone in this forum is bias - we can spot the difference between a $44k M3 and a $105k MX quite literally from a mile away. But I still feel as if the premium upgrades you get for an X over a 3 is not exactly a $61,000.00 difference. Take the infotainment system for instance. In my 2017 X the vertical screen built into the dashboard had an integrated premium feel. Even before the S/X refresh my opinion of the model 3 was something along the lines of "it looks like they just took a suction-cup mount iPad and put it on the dashboard". To the untrained eye (emphasis on "untrained") the only aesthetic difference between the interior of the Model 3 and Model S is the yoke and instrument-cluster screen.

I feel with the refresh (again, in my opinion) Tesla is treading that very fine line between minimalism/aesthetic and premium/luxury.

@T3slafan2500 as you stated, it is no surprise to me that the refresh is now cheaper to build then the previous generation.

Now given, I am not arguing for the purchase of a lesser Tesla. We are all in this forum because fortunately we are in a financial position to be able to afford the extra wants (not needs) of the X over the Y or other economy SUVs and those little bonus features add up to make this car the unicorn that it is. My point though - I am simply stating that in my opinion for a "refresh" this $6-figure car could have felt little more premium or luxurious compared to other cars in this pricepoint. But I am here as this is currently the most compelling EV/autonomous/SUV on the market. I just wish the refresh felt like an upgrade.
Fully agree. Compare to the interior of the EQS (and ostensibly the SUV version coming out in the summer) and the X seems downright cheap looking. Hyperscreen is controversial but otherwise there’s no questioning that it places you in luxurious cocoon.

Fully agree. Compare to the interior of the EQS (and ostensibly the SUV version coming out in the summer) and the X seems downright cheap looking. Hyperscreen is controversial but otherwise there’s no questioning that it places you in luxurious cocoon.
I couldn’t disagree more.. minimalism is true luxury.. I wanna puke when I’m inside a Mercedes or other luxury car with all the bull *sugar* that’s inside

Anyone from the Midwest gotten the call to change to 6 seater for earlier delivery? I think I saw one person from Chicago area say they did but it seems most are on the coasts
In KC and "got the call" at 10:35PM on a Sunday night. Unfortunately, I missed the call and have been trying to contact him for two weeks now without success. The message didn't say why he called, though after reading this thread daily, it was from Zan so I'm pretty sure he was calling about making the switch from 5 to 6 seats. I'd really like to hear back from him as it would give me the chance to upgrade to 6 seats and switch from 22" to 20" wheels. The new, black 20" wheels look great as compared to the older, silver versions.

Reactions: TWENT2
I sold my beloved 2019 MS Performance Raven model last month to make room for my MS LR Which I should see in the next month or two (EDD Nov 8 - Dec 6 on that one but who really knows)..........
You have a date range!?!? Not just a month? I believe that is the first we have heard of a range being displayed.
I couldn’t disagree more.. minimalism is true luxury.. I wanna puke when I’m inside a Mercedes or other luxury car with all the bull *sugar* that’s inside
Tesla is treading that very fine line between minimalism/aesthetic and premium/luxury.

If you get too minimalist you just look cheap. I get it, Tesla is in business to make money. But it's a slippery slope. There are countless other examples of premium brands making cheaper products and ultimately changing their brand reputation (clothes, electronics, etc)

Reactions: Vitaman
In KC and "got the call" at 10:35PM on a Sunday night. Unfortunately, I missed the call and have been trying to contact him for two weeks now without success. The message didn't say why he called, though after reading this thread daily, it was from Zan so I'm pretty sure he was calling about making the switch from 5 to 6 seats. I'd really like to hear back from him as it would give me the chance to upgrade to 6 seats and switch from 22" to 20" wheels. The new, black 20" wheels look great as compared to the older, silver versions.
I am in KC also. Hoping for a call to change to 6 seat from my 7 seat order. I am an early July order. When was your order date?

You have a date range!?!? Not just a month? I believe that is the first we have heard of a range being displayed.

Tesla is treading that very fine line between minimalism/aesthetic and premium/luxury.

If you get too minimalist you just look cheap. I get it, Tesla is in business to make money. But it's a slippery slope. There are countless other examples of premium brands making cheaper products and ultimately changing their brand reputation (clothes, electronics, etc)
The EDD range of Nov 8 - Dec 6 (regrettably for denizens of this thread) is for my MS LR. My new MX Plaid order just says July.

• Informative
Reactions: studioloft

When Volvo redesigned the XC90 a few years ago, that struck the right balance between minimalism and luxury, to my mind. Now it’s very long in the tooth, but I think that was a classic design for the time. You can be minimalist and have beautiful finishes, gorgeous stitching, thoughtful lighting and, dare I say it, armrests.

Reactions: Vitaman and lauraut
When Volvo redesigned the XC90 a few years ago, that struck the right balance between minimalism and luxury, to my mind. Now it’s very long in the tooth, but I think that was a classic design for the time. You can be minimalist and have beautiful finishes, gorgeous stitching, thoughtful lighting and, dare I say it, armrests.
From the outside, I might agree. From the inside, the design of the Volvo XC90 is garbage. The console screen, gear selector and even the start/stop knob are terrible designs. A push-to-start button would be a simple and important initial fix.

Last edited:
I think @studioloft has been pretty balanced in his comment here and I mainly agree with him. I’m new to this thread and have no desire to stoke controversy. I am no fanboy of what’s-his-name, nor am I by any means a hater. I placed an MX Plaid order yesterday for two main reasons. It was the only variant not to see a price increase (at least I think that’s the case) and it is the only Tesla production model that I have yet to own (I’m excluding the old Roadster which ain’t my jam).

I sold my beloved 2019 MS Performance Raven model last month to make room for my MS LR Which I should see in the next month or two (EDD Nov 8 - Dec 6 on that one but who really knows). I loved the Raven. But I can’t really think of any interior design feature that was well-executed. It looked “pretty” in cream with oak, but I would certainly not say elegant. And, there was not a single cup holder that would actually hold a cup. The center console was sort of a mashup of leftover space, there was no door storage, etc. Silly stuff like that often made me want one of my two more utilitarian M3‘s back. Until, of course, I’d fire up the ludicrous mode on the Raven and let’er rip. I probably did that half a dozen times in the year and a half I owned it.

So, anywho…. I see the new S/X releases as a nice step forward from an aesthetic standpoint but mainly just incrementally better engineering which was already excellent. I expect the handling and feel of the new ride to be awesome because my Raven was already awesome. I also bet the flash of the extra gaming screen and the yoke will make many people overlook poorly thought-out storage and cup holders. The vehicles will perform like nothing else does today. But, it was a true missed opportunity on Tesla’s part to guard the castle against Lucid and Rivian for buyers like me replacing Ms’s and MX’s respectively in the next round of innovation. Right now those cars don’t exist and there is no charging network that remotely compares to Tesla. So, I’m excited about the MY Performance in my garage and the MS and MX thatI have on the way.

But next go round it’s going to be open season. I sure do hope Tesla can step it up on the luxury models like they have on the M3 and MY which I think are well executed for there price ranges.

And a final note….Tesla resale values have been far stronger than what I have personally experienced with other vehicles. This has allowed me the added luxury of trying new releases without getting financially hammered each time. I wonder if people share that view based on their own actual experience (no charts and graphs please).
I agree with many points, the door storage, my X has it my old S no, my Y had it. Little things like this along with usable cup holders make differences. That being said I sat in a new mustang, Ford still looks cheap compared to Tesla.