Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually buy a new car every 4 years (this time will be 5+ years only because of the delivery delays). So my next purchase will likely be in 2026. Will I buy a Tesla then?

My guess is no. Four years is a long time these days. There is more to a company than making a great product. In four years there will be others with great products. The winner among those will be the company who best cares about their customers (or at least gives the strongest impression they care). Tesla has a huge head start now because they are the true innovator, and Elon is a genius. And as has been pointed out, the elimination of car dealerships and the humiliating and time-wasting negotiations over price, has given Tesla a real edge in the customer experience. But realistically there’s nothing more Tesla can do to keep that edge.

Or rather, there is something they could do but that something is not in Elon’s DNA, in fact the reverse is in his DNA—he candidly revealed a while back that he has ASD (autism spectrum disorder) and while that has clearly aided him enormously in his focus and energy devoted to innovation, a hallmark of ASD is problems with social, emotional and communication skills.

Whatever we may feel, Elon does not hate us, he is simply indifferent to us. If he were asked why Tesla doesn’t devote even minuscule attention to his SAs or his customers, his reply would likely be one of confusion: why would anyone do that?

And for the time being, that is fine. I will absolutely love my new refreshed X, whenever it arrives, and will quickly forget the humiliation and frustration he is putting us through. The product will be totally worth it. But in four years’ time, it may be a different story….
I completely understand your point, but the thing is it's just like you acknowledge toward the end when you have your car, you are going to feel differently and likely won't remember the waiting in the same way you are experiencing it now. Just think, in 4 years after you've had four long beautiful years of enjoying your amazing car, you're likely not going to have the same emotional connection to the waiting then you currently do so. It seems like the love of the vehicle is going to be a better predictor to whether or not you get a Tesla again then how you (and most of us) feel here in the waiting room.

No building language here.

Attachments

• 67FFD375-BE13-4DC6-8074-77630F2525AB.jpeg
    67FFD375-BE13-4DC6-8074-77630F2525AB.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2F985E89-2D10-4457-9CBB-6C965442FA33.jpeg
    2F985E89-2D10-4457-9CBB-6C965442FA33.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 75
Hah I'd be surprised if anyone came out to where I live to pick it up... Actually people probably would.

Edit: actually thinking about it, will have to talk with the wife on it.
Oh man. This is crazy. Don’t do it. Yes you’d make a TON of money and command a huge premium, but imagine if someone gets into an accident. You’ll be covered financially but the repairs will take absolutely forever if it’s out of commission and they need parts. And if they have it to total it? It’ll be a battle getting diminished value on it and then you’re also back in line with the rest of us (actually, at the end of it, behind us).

If it’s like your 3rd/weekend car or you don’t care about it much, maybe it could make sense. But I’d never do it personally since it’s going to be our main family car.

I also noticed the new app with the "View" option. After clicking "view" In the schedule tab it says "we are building your Car".... I hope this is true. EDD still January. If I go to the Manage tab... nothing has changed when I log in to my account. I hope these are indeed good news....
I don't think it means anything. I have a plaid model x ordered and it says we are building your car and it has a delivery date of May.

HI! A lurker here, following your guys excitement/humor in anticipation for this car. Question: For all of you that have “building your car…”, have you submitted your credit checks if you will be applying for a loan? Mine was ordered in June, and est delivery of “Jan” so I’m still waiting to submit a credit check since the car will likely will be delivered later. My app just says “manage order in your Tesla account (web)” and est delivery Jan. Not sure when best to submit a credit check. Thanks for any advice! :)
Well Crap! I just changed my “Payment Method” to Pay in full to see if that changes my status (yes I felt desperate for the moment) and a while slew of options came up but no change in status to the building update that many are getting. Unfortunately I dont see a way of going back and changing to finance again which is what I want to do. Is there a way to go back from paying in full to finance? Ugh, I knew I shouldn’t have been trigger happy.

I usually buy a new car every 4 years (this time will be 5+ years only because of the delivery delays). So my next purchase will likely be in 2026. Will I buy a Tesla then?

My guess is no. Four years is a long time these days. There is more to a company than making a great product. In four years there will be others with great products. The winner among those will be the company who best cares about their customers (or at least gives the strongest impression they care). Tesla has a huge head start now because they are the true innovator, and Elon is a genius. And as has been pointed out, the elimination of car dealerships and the humiliating and time-wasting negotiations over price, has given Tesla a real edge in the customer experience. But realistically there’s nothing more Tesla can do to keep that edge.
People made the same claims in 2017 and even in 2013. I guess it comes down to what you want, but I don’t see anything from anyone that would have me considering alternative manufacturers. The electric drivetrain is just one component for me. Autopilot and Superchargers are the compelling pieces for me.

Well Crap! I just changed my “Payment Method” to Pay in full to see if that changes my status (yes I felt desperate for the moment) and a while slew of options came up but no change in status to the building update that many are getting. Unfortunately I dont see a way of going back and changing to finance again which is what I want to do. Is there a way to go back from paying in full to finance? Ugh, I knew I shouldn’t have been trigger happy.
It’s no big deal. Simple phone call to your local center and they can flip it back on their end. That’s what I did.

Reactions: TWENT2
It's premature to conclude that from one text. It could be a mistake, or that text might have nothing to do with the process. We just don't know. Let's just settle down, wait and see what happens.

Bruce.
I got a similar text today asking to confirm my payment and trade in options. The text was from the same number that called me to change my config to six seater a month or two back.

Maybe getting this text is the new EDD!

• Funny
Reactions: ironwill96
It’s no big deal. Simple phone call to your local center and they can flip it back on their end. That’s what I did.
Thanks so much! I’ll do that then. THis will teach me to just wait it out. My current lease on my current car isn’t till April anyways, but if the model X would be ready earlier, I would of course be happy to buy out my Acura lease and sell the car for profit as it seems to be the case. Hopefully requesting from full payment to finance doesn’t change anything in regards to place in line.