Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any specific reason why you think other configs will take a longtime, also what is your definition of longterm. Really hoping it will be available by Q1 but would like to plan for alternative approach if you have any specific details.
All rumors at the end of the day. No solid proof. Tesla has a history however of catering to higher priced cars/options. If you play with the configurator you’ll see dates change with different options. Try the model y long range and switch the wheels around.

Reactions: Jacomath
Just noticed the official winter tire/wheel package for 2021+MX is available now. Probably better order now before it’s OOS if needed

I’m trying to figure out if our old winter tire set for 2015-2020 X will still work. The wheel diameters are a bit smaller on the older set. Also, the old set doesn’t publish the ET on the original set so I’ll need to dig out those details. It likely is fine but can’t say for sure.

When Tesla called me on Oct 12 to switch to 6 seats from 7 they made it very clear that if I did not take 6 seater I would be waiting until march or April for 7 seater. They also guaranteed me delivery this year and I currently do not have a VIN yet. Given these 2 pieces of info, I would not expect 5/7 seats before Q2 given they can’t even deliver on the promises they made on the 6 seats. Sorry, waiting is not fun.
When I got the call on 10/19 to switch from 5 seat to 6 seat, the gentleman on the line was clear that the switch would be higher priority. He never guaranteed by end of year delivery, nor did he provide a delivery date range for my 5 seat - the only thing he indicated was that I am high on the list, but that 6 seats would get me the car sooner.

I think they are building a batch of 6 seaters - we can tell that a person who ordered an original 6 seater on April 2nd got delivery. We can also see that a 5 seater who made the reservation in May, never got the call to switch over.

So, Tesla had an idea of how many 6 seaters they want to make in that 1st batch - they then went down the roster until they ran out of people who wanted them (that is a combination of original 6 seaters plus 5/7 seater converts... But the list is finite - and seems to end around March / April orders.

IN MY OPINION: By the time the 1st batch is produced, Tesla hopes to have the missing pieces (assuming it is the bench seat). Subsequently, it is unclear what cars are going to be produced - it could be PLAIDS, or a variety of LR configurations.

My hope is the 1st batch will be completed soon... And that I would be getting my car in February...

When I got the call on 10/19 to switch from 5 seat to 6 seat, the gentleman on the line was clear that the switch would be higher priority. He never guaranteed by end of year delivery, nor did he provide a delivery date range for my 5 seat - the only thing he indicated was that I am high on the list, but that 6 seats would get me the car sooner.

I think they are building a batch of 6 seaters - we can tell that a person who ordered an original 6 seater on April 2nd got delivery. We can also see that a 5 seater who made the reservation in May, never got the call to switch over.

So, Tesla had an idea of how many 6 seaters they want to make in that 1st batch - they then went down the roster until they ran out of people who wanted them (that is a combination of original 6 seaters plus 5/7 seater converts... But the list is finite - and seems to end around March / April orders.

IN MY OPINION: By the time the 1st batch is produced, Tesla hopes to have the missing pieces (assuming it is the bench seat). Subsequently, it is unclear what cars are going to be produced - it could be PLAIDS, or a variety of LR configurations.

My hope is the 1st batch will be completed soon... And that I would be getting my car in February...
I hope you are correct, explanation is logical and hope they start production of 7 seats and 5 seats. But Tesla logic is unpredictable🤞

I received a call on October 12th as well and was told to expect delivery during December for a 6 seater LR. It's also clear something significant happened since that promise.

It would be nice, though, if at some point Tesla could make these EDD actually stick instead of sink. I would love to know how many orders Tesla has lost or converted because of the length of delays.

Question: Converting FSD purchase to FSD subscription
If you have locked in a price before the price increases does converting an order's FSD purchase to a FSD subscription trigger a price increase like changing other specs would?
Just removed FSD purchase yesterday. there was no increase in base cost (89,900) as the SA said it
s only a software issue. My EDD stayed at February 2022.

Reactions: n.one.one
@Stro what's your thought... If you get a VIN and your delivery date is after your vacation start date, are you coming back to take delivery?
I'm thinking that it won't come to that, but there's a slim chance... So if I have the opportunity to take delivery this year, I'll fly back to do so.
Yesterday my world changed a bit. Our family dog passed away. Having to explain it to our four year old twins was very hard. The boy didn’t take it well and kept crying asking “who am I gonna pet now!?!!!” while the girl kept yelling. Weird how we all mourn different. The dog had been my wife’s since before we got married so she took it extra hard. The dog was also my only coworker nowadays since I work from home. So damn depressing. To top off the day, the wife got a message from her work at lunch time saying that a lot of people that had attended her company’s holiday party were testing positive for Covid. I went to the grocery store and picked up some home tests only to find out the twins and wife are positive. I’m somehow negative. But this means we cannot travel for a few weeks due to this as we were planning to visit my 91 year old grandma. We are gonna go get “real” tests today as I don’t trust home tests but I’m pretty sure the family has covid if everyone else at wife’s work does too.

The crappy thing that got me down is that the reason we got six seats in the MX was for my dog. She will never get to see it now and enjoy the road-trips. But I’ll be here to pick it up assuming I don’t become positive.

Last edited:
Yesterday my world changed a bit. Our family dog passed away. Having to explain it to our four year old twins was very hard. The boy didn’t take it well and kept crying asking “who am I gonna pet now!?!!!” while the girl kept yelling. Weird how we all mourn different. The dog had been my wife’s since before we got married so she took it extra hard. The dog was also my only coworker nowadays since I work from home. So damn depressing. To top off the day, the wife got a message from her work at lunch time saying that a lot of people that had attended her company’s holiday party were testing positive for Covid. I went to the grocery store and picked up some home tests only to find out the twins and wife are positive. I’m somehow negative. But this means we cannot travel for a few weeks due to this as we were planning to visit my 91 year old grandma. We are gonna go get “real” tests today as I don’t trust home tests but I’m pretty sure the family has covid if everyone else at wife’s work does too.

The crappy thing that got me down is that the reason we got six seats in the MX was for my dog. She will never get to see it now and enjoy the road-trips. But I’ll be here to pick it up assuming I don’t become positive.
Sorry to hear that @Stro
We have a family member tested positive and that disrupts our family reunion plan as well.

• Love
Reactions: colo and Stro

Sorry to hear this all hitting you at the same time, Stro. Wishing you and your family well through it all - certainly a worrying time for you.

Sorry about the loss of your furry family member, I can only imagine the heartbreak, especially in your kids. COVID is definitely causing havoc in many locations around the country right now. Sending positive thoughts to you and your family!!!

@Stro, so sorry to hear that! I wish you and your family the best and to stay strong through these tough times.

A million hugs.

• Love
Reactions: Stro

So sorry man that's definitely hard. Built a new house complete w automatic dog door built in and my 12 yo dog who traveled from small apt to small apt w me in med school died. 4 mo before we moved in. Still haven't used the dog door but once the little one is potty trained we'll entertain training a new dog.

Really sad to hear. Hang in there buddy.

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr and Stro

So sorry for you loss and hope your family recovers soon.

I hope you’re right and this fellow was wrong. But I was told as of last week they are only making black interiors.
They are making white interiors. I got a call from Tesla that my MX arrived from Fremont last night. We will take delivery in the next few days once the inspection process is done.

We were originally scheduled to pick it up on the 20th but it arrived sooner than they expected.

I’ve also seen a few others take delivery with white interior!