Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are all the Model X’s being made in Fremont?
I recall reading a couple years ago that California regulations limited the quality of the paint so the Fremont cars all had kinda soft paint or something. 😕

Yes, all Model X are made in Fremont, supposedly on the same production line as the Model S.

I've heard this assertion about the paint before...it has to do with certain chemicals that couldn't be used in the paint. I am not sure how true or significant this is with respect to the softness / quality of the paint on Teslas.

Bruce.

Are you talking about the matrix headlight? It looks like S/X already have adaptive headlight?
I believe they are still the old lights, The New Y performance for sure and even now the Model 3 which are coming out seem to have it which are matrix light. I guess an easy way lol for me to tell currently is how those vehicle With those new matrix light can even spell TESLA for the light show.

but what will be more useful is at night how they can choose to illuminate certain areas .. I hope those new matrix light can come in new s and x and more over Really hoping they can retrofit those lights.

What I know so far the Model 3 Which has older light non Matrix... They cannot be retrofit because there seems to be an different connector or something. So I hope Model S plaid which were already delivered dont get left out.. Because I will happily pay for the Retrofit upgrade

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Oh. Interesting. I was wondering about that. I was kinda of concerned about taking delivery and driving home 100 miles in poor weather.
I’m happing to wait a few weeks if it means I can drive home in decent weather before I can get it wrapped.
As long as we get new VINs soon this is understandable. But if there are no more LRs available and production lines are shifted to other models (eg. Plaid) causing us to wait weeks or even a month for LR production to start again that's going to be infuriating.

Reactions: lexus26
I understand that constant communication isn’t a necessity, but just a little communication would be nice. You mentioned its mostly out of Tesla’s control, but honest question, how do you know? We don’t even know what the hold up is so how can we safely say its out of their control? We’ve all seen the Fremont Flyover videos that shows tons of Xs parked around the factory. Just a simple “Hey folks, we know you’ve been waiting and a bunch of cars are almost ready, they just need a <whatever>. As soon as they come in deliveries will continue.” We all spent over $100k on a car and the only communication a lot of us have received is an arbitrary EDD that has proven to mean nothing.
Dear Customer,
We are making your new Model X just as fast as we can. Thank you for your patience, we will contact you when your Model X is ready for delivery.
Sincerely, Tesla :)

I don’t buy the argument that Tesla is all about profits. Clearly the quarterly numbers matter, and they made the decision to structure their deliveries to minimize the number of vehicles in transit over the quarterly boundary. But I can’t really blame them for that — wasn’t it Q1 2019 when the stock was utterly hammered due to lower deliveries due to a lot of cars on boats? And, big picture, they’re still shipping the same number of cars to all parts of the country over the course of the quarter, it’s not just a money-grab to leave the bulk of California deliveries to late in the quarter. The only reason we even notice is the ramp seems to have made a big jump late in the quarter by which time they were on mostly California.

The six seat thing… it makes sense to pick some one variation to go first. Maybe it was because of the price… maybe because they had more available… maybe because they make it in-house… maybe because it was most popular… maybe because the motorized seats give the best hi-tech impression… I don’t think we know but I have a hard time saying it’s just a money grab.

Also, they could have bent over backward to get the plaid out first. As we know, they had a year to accomplish it!

Finally, it may be that Mercedes or BMW give a better build and delivery experience for their products that are already ramped and on the market (I haven’t noticed stories about new or substantially refreshed models from legacy OEMs). But I don’t think the amount I spend on a product in and of itself justifies a different level of service. I would hope if Tesla gives a better delivery experience, even those who order a base Model 3 or future “Model 2” would get it — not just those laying down six figures. For some reason the “customers who spend $100k deserve more” argument rubs me the wrong way in a way that “Tesla can/should do better” doesn’t.

But, all that aside, I’m still waiting, and still not enjoying the minivan until such a time as my reservation number comes up. I hope the ramp continues to accelerate. :)
They gave me a VIN.. Then took it back.. They told me I was on a "priority queue" but then were litterally offering my exact VIN/car to people who didn't order those specs... HOW is this not all about the profit? That is terrible customer service.. BS "priority queue" and a sleazy business practice..
You work for Tesla?
I'm a fan boy but jeeze... you're taking the cake with all this sympathetic nonsense you are spewing..

My Model X is finally here. The SC moved up the delivery day by one day so I picked it up yesterday. They seemed busy, not crazy busy, but it did take them about 30 minutes after I arrived to have the car ready. Immediately after sitting in the driver’s seat for the first time, I set my key card down on the center console and the card slid forward and disappeared into somewhere in the dash. So they took the car back into the shop and took the console apart and about 10 minutes later, I had the car again.

Initial Impressions:

The yoke was absolutely no problem. I grabbed air a few times when turning corners but soon was used to it. The blinkers are taking a little longer to get used to but shouldn’t take too long. Other than that, since it's my first Tesla, it's taking a little while to find where everything is hidden in the UI.

I looked it over pretty close but not using any sort of checklist and found only one thing physically wrong. The rubber above the driver’s side window was a little bit out of the channel where it should be.

Also, I got to use my wall connector for the first time since I installed it about 10 months ago. I’m glad to find out it works.
2022_Model_X.jpeg

My Model X is finally here. The SC moved up the delivery day by one day so I picked it up yesterday. They seemed busy, not crazy busy, but it did take them about 30 minutes after I arrived to have the car ready. Immediately after sitting in the driver’s seat for the first time, I set my key card down on the center console and the card slid forward and disappeared into somewhere in the dash. So they took the car back into the shop and took the console apart and about 10 minutes later, I had the car again.

Initial Impressions:

The yoke was absolutely no problem. I grabbed air a few times when turning corners but soon was used to it. The blinkers are taking a little longer to get used to but shouldn’t take too long. Other than that, since it's my first Tesla, it's taking a little while to find where everything is hidden in the UI.

I looked it over pretty close but not using any sort of checklist and found only one thing physically wrong. The rubber above the driver’s side window was a little bit out of the channel where it should be.

Also, I got to use my wall connector for the first time since I installed it about 10 months ago. I’m glad to find out it works.View attachment 749397
Ive been jealous of a ton of cars on this forum, but this is the first time Ive been jealous of a car AND a garage! Congrats on the new ride!

Initial Impressions:

Also, I got to use my wall connector for the first time since I installed it about 10 months ago. I’m glad to find out it works.View attachment 749397
Nice setup all around. Really like the flooring and garage windows. Congrats on the car.

They gave me a VIN.. Then took it back.. They told me I was on a "priority queue" but then were litterally offering my exact VIN/car to people who didn't order those specs... HOW is this not all about the profit? That is terrible customer service.. BS "priority queue" and a sleazy business practice..
You work for Tesla?
I'm a fan boy but jeeze... you're taking the cake with all this sympathetic nonsense you are spewing..

It can be bad customer service and not be about the profit. I’m not arguing that you got a good experience. It sounds pretty lousy to me! FWIW I believe it’s about limiting the number of vehicles in transit at quarter end, rather than the profit per se, because accounting-wise having vehicles they built but didn’t deliver on the books is lousy. Doesn’t matter whether they would have made or lost money on the vehicle in question, until it’s delivered it’s a drag. They can say what they want on the priority queue but you and I out East will always be watching end of quarter deliveries go to California, or to wherever they last shipped cars a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, it seems to me the mistake was assigning you a VIN before the vehicle in question was confirmed ready to ship East. Once they — for whatever reason — couldn’t ship you the car, they were in a bad spot and should have communicated better and explained things to you. Seeing the same car eventually made ready but only for California delivery must be tough. Hopefully they will get back to East coast shipments soon!

Initial Impressions:

Congrats!

You work for Tesla?
Called Tesla, They unmatched me from my VIN because of the snow storm happening in WA right now. They can't transport the vehicle to WA so they are giving it to someone else that they can get it to, probably before year end. It's frustrating but I don't think I can blame them.
While an unmatched VIN is unfortunate, it's not unusual and might not be directly interpreted as "greedy". It could just be a change in shipping arrangement as the post above explained, especially for a long trip to KY. And I've heard at least three cases (from my friends) where VINs were unmatched before taking the delivery finally.

Last edited:
As long as we get new VINs soon this is understandable. But if there are no more LRs available and production lines are shifted to other models (eg. Plaid) causing us to wait weeks or even a month for LR production to start again that's going to be infuriating.
Yeah. I hope something like that doesn’t happen. So far I still have a VIN.
If it goes away I’ll let you know

Nice setup all around. Really like the flooring and garage windows. Congrats on the car.
The pavers are run seamlessly from the street, up the driveway and into the garage. I made myself finish that project before I could order the Model X. Luckily, my gas car didn't leak too much oil on them before the Tesla finally made it.

Initial Impressions:

Yes love your garage! So much natural light and the flooring! Oh - the model X is nice too.

I still think its crazy how I have a 1/22/21 6 seat order and don’t have a vin yet when the odds are on my side. (5,7 seaters aren’t being made yet & I have a pre-refresh priority order)….future doesn’t too bright for when they do start delivering 5,7 seaters and now currently plaids…. 😬😬😬
Right there with ya. Order the day after you and I live about 4hrs from the factory. When I called Fremont about a month ago when EDD changed to Feb I spoke with a gale there and she said it’s a placeholder but she is seeing March on her end for my car. Who knows who to trust? I will be very disappointed if it’s March and won’t be all “yeah I’m glad you got your VIN to those that ordered 1-7 months after me”.

Glad I already knew better than to get my hopes up, when my SA told me that my X was on the list for delivery in the next 3 weeks. I was promised delivery this year when I switched to 6 seats, much like many others here. However, the year is just about over, and I still have no VIN. I’m sure Tesla will do absolutely nothing about it, since they’ve certainly never cared any time they missed a deadline in the past.
I just emailed my SA and asked about the status, and he said they’ve getting a lot less deliveries than they expected, presumably due to bad weather in Oregon. After some back and forth, turns out that he doesn’t have any idea if my X has even been produced yet, or is anywhere near production, more or less if it’s actually on a trailer somewhere just stuck in bad weather. Just in case anyone still thinks that the SA’s have any more information than us, they don’t.
Really can’t wait for someone to actually compete with tesla, so we can finally do something about it when Tesla continually makes it clear that they just don’t give a $h!t.