Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you unhappy that Tesla isn’t communicating… what do you think they could say? I would understand if they don’t want to call out a specific part or supplier to avoid creating bad feelings and compounding any existing problem. I would understand if they don’t want to say they’re building cars but they’re coming out with unacceptable defects; that’s not a good look to advertise. I can understand if the production schedule is not yet sufficiently ironclad for them to give each order a specific place in line and tell me I’m number 3,421. I just have a hard time thinking what they might legitimately say other than “we’re hoping to build your vehicle by February but whether we can hold to that depends on how the production ramp progresses.”

It was a little odd to me that Rivian gave a 6-month window (which I have to imagine is an “if all goes well” scenario given where their production ramp is at) and that’s considered better than Tesla giving a specific month on the same “if all goes well” basis.

Was it better because it was an email instead of an anonymous site update? Or because they were at least vaguely apologetic about the time frame rather than just giving an impersonal date change?
I can tell you a few things I think Tesla should not say, such as: "We're super excited to announce the new Model S and Model X ... are in production now and will be delivered in February," and "The Model S... we're actually in production now... The Model X a little later." - Said Elon Musk in early 2021.

To answer your question more directly, the Rivan communication felt better because they seem to be giving more realistic timelines and they openly stated how and why they are prioritizing certain vehicle builds. On the other hand, Tesla announced production was to start in February. Instead of providing any realistic timelines to anyone, they simply moved the goal post numerous times. I personally don't believe they had any intention of meeting any of the early EDD's.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Just stopped by the Irvine SC and there’s another Plaid out there waiting for it’s owner. It looks so dang good!!!! I’m so jealous.

33B3305B-3967-4B87-AA4E-5237919C5640.jpeg

558D27E0-4EB0-4634-B3A3-F9A125DFBD0B.jpeg

Glad to have another AZ one here. Bottom line this whole process has sucked major but once you get the car it’s worth it. My friend picked his up last night (ordered 3 months after me) and all I can say is the car is absolutely incredible. Miles better than my 2017 X.

If you have waited this long what’s another 2-3 months?
I would have thought being in AZ (Phoenix here) we’d see something sooner than most. But at this point who knows.

Yes, once we get the car this entire experience will be nothing but a chuckle after a few drinks. I’m somewhat terrified of the thought of my wife having that much power. Until then budget rental keeps taking our money.

Welcome to the group! You and I are in the same boat (except for the Ferrari 😜) Ordered the exact same date and had EDD changed exact same pattern. Renting over 5 months as well. My family moved back to US while I am still overseas. I visit every time aligned with EDD hoping to pickup the car. Next visit February!
Let’s hope February. At this point getting a VIN would be a big W. Then again seeing how many people get them pulled would probably be like a kick in the pills.

Really just wish someone from Tesla would tell us anything.

Reactions: Niranga
I can tell you a few things I think Tesla should not say, such as: "We're super excited to announce the new Model S and Model X ... are in production now and will be delivered in February," and "The Model S... we're actually in production now... The Model X a little later." - Said Elon Musk in early 2021.

To answer your question more directly, the Rivan communication felt better because they seem to be giving more realistic timelines and they openly stated how and why they are prioritizing certain vehicle builds. On the other hand, Tesla announced production was to start in February. Instead of providing any realistic timelines to anyone, they simply moved the goal post numerous times. I personally don't believe they had any intention of meeting any of the early EDD's.
The reason Tesla Executives have adopted a philosophy to minimize communication, internally and externally, to the absolute minimum is because they are experiencing massive growth — at unprecedented levels in fact — and circumstances change so quickly they want to maintain optionality to adapt in a manner that maximizes quarterly outcomes for Tesla. The problem with pursuing this approach to the extreme, which I believe they have, is that the enterprise will develop a reputation with its customers and eventually investors that is far from optimal. Another company with a similar maximize current profit over long-term integrity — albeit in a different way — is Facebook. Compare these companies to Apple and Microsoft, for whom customer experience both short and long term are key values. I believe in 10 years the combined market cap of Facebook and Tesla with be a small fraction of either Microsoft or Apple due to their flawed priorities. That’s just my view, time will tell.

I completely agree, I understand that Tesla does not know when my car will be ready and it is mostly out of their control. I have waiting for 11 months (like many of us) and I've accepted that my car will be ready when it's ready and I appreciate that Tesla is not constantly in communication with me about its projected progress. Rivian just announced that their long-range variant will not be available until 2023, which is quite a bit later than originally projected. Do I need a human to touch base with me every now and then like Rivian? No, not really... and the sales representative would probably know less than I already know from reading this forum.
Ah yes, Acceptance. The 5th stage of grief.

Most of us have passed the Denial stage and are now in Anger or Bargaining. The Depression stage comes when Tesla taunts you with a VIN then removes it 😅

Now that my company is getting acquired, I’m starting my new gig search. With my luck, I’ll move somewhere and due to my “possible new region” my EDD will get pushed further back. I’d just take a break from work until I get my new MX but at this rate, that means retirement as it feels it’s that far from ever happening.
Congrats on the acquisition…hope you got a good outcome out of it!

I don’t buy the argument that Tesla is all about profits. Clearly the quarterly numbers matter, and they made the decision to structure their deliveries to minimize the number of vehicles in transit over the quarterly boundary. But I can’t really blame them for that — wasn’t it Q1 2019 when the stock was utterly hammered due to lower deliveries due to a lot of cars on boats? And, big picture, they’re still shipping the same number of cars to all parts of the country over the course of the quarter, it’s not just a money-grab to leave the bulk of California deliveries to late in the quarter. The only reason we even notice is the ramp seems to have made a big jump late in the quarter by which time they were on mostly California.

The six seat thing… it makes sense to pick some one variation to go first. Maybe it was because of the price… maybe because they had more available… maybe because they make it in-house… maybe because it was most popular… maybe because the motorized seats give the best hi-tech impression… I don’t think we know but I have a hard time saying it’s just a money grab.

Also, they could have bent over backward to get the plaid out first. As we know, they had a year to accomplish it!

Finally, it may be that Mercedes or BMW give a better build and delivery experience for their products that are already ramped and on the market (I haven’t noticed stories about new or substantially refreshed models from legacy OEMs). But I don’t think the amount I spend on a product in and of itself justifies a different level of service. I would hope if Tesla gives a better delivery experience, even those who order a base Model 3 or future “Model 2” would get it — not just those laying down six figures. For some reason the “customers who spend $100k deserve more” argument rubs me the wrong way in a way that “Tesla can/should do better” doesn’t.

But, all that aside, I’m still waiting, and still not enjoying the minivan until such a time as my reservation number comes up. I hope the ramp continues to accelerate. :)

PSA. I have been searching every day for Tesla OEM accessories. A bunch of them have been sold out but then come online for a limited window. This morning I searched for the NEMA Adapter Bundle which was sold out yesterday. It is in stock for $245! I have been watching them on eBay for $500!

See: NEMA Adapter Bundle

Best

Sutes
Thanks for the post! I’ve been trying to get this for months! Invaluable kit for anyone that likes traveling! Still in stock!