Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scheduled next week to pick up my LR. For months now I've had TBD even though I had a VIN assigned on 12/14/21.
After having a VIN for 6 weeks I contacted someone at Tesla who helped add my wife to the documents. I told him I had a VIN for 6 weeks with no movement. He replied and said he would escalate. 1 week later I was given a delivery range and the next day I was asked to schedule a day and time.
I was told the pre-refresh 2000 discount would be applied in a few days.

My VIN is a 2021, so maybe my car is from the batch in the overflow lot. I'm plan to accepted in anyway unless there are major issues on the outside. I suspect I won't be able to unlock and see the inside without accepting delivery.

Replace it. That's what I am going to do. There are a few options:

I don't plan to give them money until I have had a chance to look the car over, inside and out. I can initiate a wire/ACH transfer or write them a check in the lobby. My checks to Tesla have been cashing since 2010.
There is a good safety argument for sticking with the yoke. Yoke is Safer

I'm scheduled next week to pick up my LR. For months now I've had TBD even though I had a VIN assigned on 12/14/21.
After having a VIN for 6 weeks I contacted someone at Tesla who helped add my wife to the documents. I told him I had a VIN for 6 weeks with no movement. He replied and said he would escalate. 1 week later I was given a delivery range and the next day I was asked to schedule a day and time.
I was told the pre-refresh 2000 discount would be applied in a few days.

My VIN is a 2021, so maybe my car is from the batch in the overflow lot. I'm plan to accepted in anyway unless there are major issues on the outside. I suspect I won't be able to unlock and see the inside without accepting delivery.
You should be able to open the inside and inspect prior to accepting and/or paying. I went through the checklist inside and out prior to clicking "pay"

So after waiting (im)patiently a little over a year (Jan 30, 2021 order) I just received a text saying I have a VIN (5YJXCBE50MF326XXX). Judging by the low VIN, I'm guessing it's one of the first ones produced. Still excited after waiting all this time. Let's see how the rest of the process goes.
Another car built in 2021 and held for a couple of months on the parking.

Another car built in 2021 and held for a couple of months on the parking.
I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of you guys are ascribing way more value to a "2022" VIN than there actually is. My 2018 S was worth ~$40K last year when I ordered my X according to the retail offers I got and is now like $56K with more miles on it. Used car values have way more to do with feelings/market conditions/mileage than they do with tiny details like what year your VIN was IMO. I'd be happy to be proven wrong with actual data/graphs... I'm just far too lazy to research this now :D

I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot of you guys are ascribing way more value to a "2022" VIN than there actually is. My 2018 S was worth ~$40K last year when I ordered my X according to the retail offers I got and is now like $56K with more miles on it. Used car values have way more to do with feelings/market conditions/mileage than they do with tiny details like what year your VIN was IMO. I'd be happy to be proven wrong with actual data/graphs... I'm just far too lazy to research this now :D
It's almost certain that a 2019 S with similar config would worth more than your 2018 S, no matter last year or now :)

So, you'd take a 2020 BMW 5 series over a 2022 for the same price? It's an exaggeration, but perceptively it's the same issue. If you're buying used, you might be looking at existing warranty coverage - it can make the difference between a buy and a pass. Last year models usually come with an "End of the Year" discount, which we're clearly not getting. That's the reality and you don't need stats to find this out.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that I didn't get a 2022 VIN assigned, However, the way I see it, I would've happily accepted a 2021 VIN back Mar/Apr when it was first promised so I don't see why I should let this bother me. No doubt I'll likely take a hit on value but I'm also done waiting and willing to pay to get it faster.

are majority of people still in "TBD" land? Looks like a few schedule for February delivery but so far not a single 2022 delivered in 2022 right?
I'm getting a 22 X plaid on 2/14. They told me it's coming in on the 9th but it takes a few days to check it out and deliver; the schedule gave me from the 13 to the 15th. Everything is so easy on the phone app from scheduling to getting a loan....this of coarse is after you get a VIN and text schedule delivery. What's funny is I waited a day to schedule and they sent a second text to schedule or else they may release the vehicle to another waiting customer....I scheduled delivery right away!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that I didn't get a 2022 VIN assigned, However, the way I see it, I would've happily accepted a 2021 VIN back Mar/Apr when it was first promised so I don't see why I should let this bother me. No doubt I'll likely take a hit on value but I'm also done waiting and willing to pay to get it faster.
also remember you paid wayyy less than what people will be paying now for 22 so all good! take it and DRIVE while we complaint waiting for the "22" which by then all other manufactures will be selling 23...ignore the noise

But everything else being equal, the 1/1/2021 car will be worth a lot more than the 12/31/2020 car.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
So I haven't left and won't leave this forum for a while. I truly appreciate everyone putting up with my silly sadness as we all waited (and some are still waiting MUCH longer than me) for our MXs. So here is what's happened:

- I received a text saying I had a VIN, to please finish all of the tasks such as providing insurance and payment.
- I called Tesla and told them to switch my account from cash payment to loan and take off FSD. They changed the loan part but the FSD part is still there. Not sure how long it takes to come off.
- I entered my bank info for the loan and submitted it. Also submitted my trade-in (M3 LR which so far has a 35K offer from GiveMeTheVIN. Taking it to CarMax tomorrow).
- I called back and asked if I wasn't able to be here next week, how long could they hold it for me. They said 72 hours is policy. If I don't come pick it up when THEY are ready and 72 hours pass, the car is going to someone else here in Houston. So now trying to figure things out . Maybe do a power of attorney to have my in-laws pick it up (but they don't know Teslas and will suck at inspecting it).
- Insurance isn't cheap. Gonna continue to shop.

Ordered 1/27/21
LR | White Ext | Black Int | 22"
My RN is RN1144194XX
My new VIN is 7SAXCBE51NF3321XX
Odometer reads 33 miles according to MVPA.
So I take a day off and you get a Vin while I’m gone? WTF? Congratulations! I figured you'd be here until the bitter end with me in 2025 when Tesla delivered their final two Model X's. Now get this thing delivered!

GUYS.... get this sh*t. I already submitted everything and bank has commenced the payment side. Switched insurance to take care of the car for now and was even about to head to CarMax tomorrow to sell it.

Tesla just called to tell me they 'matched me with a September 2020 order holder's car'. He was very apologetic and kept asking permission to unmatch so that person could get their car in San Antonio. I guess I'm too much of a nice guy and said ok. He promised that any car that becomes available in Texas will come to me at my pricing. I said I didn't care about interior or exterior color.

So back in the waiting pool I go. I'm angry at myself. I want to be angry at the dude for making the mistake of assigning it to two people, but holy crap. Emotional rollercoaster.
Whoops just catching up with the thread as I go. Well, it looks like I’ll see you at delivery in 2025 after all. Major bummer

But everything else being equal, the 1/1/2021 car will be worth a lot more than the 12/31/2020 car.
but it is not equal...he paid the price for an older model, maybe others who ordered at similar point are lucky to get 22 MY but that doesn't make him in a losing situation.
I guarantee you that he can sell his order for a very nice profit. I'd pay 10k right now over what he paid without any hesitation and even that would be low balling him

Why? When I picked my P85D up in Fremont, I paid sales tax for my home address.
Because you’re a CA resident. If you’re not a CA resident and choose to take delivery in California, you’ll pay the local sales tax. Some states will recognize taxes paid in California and waive their use tax (Nevada will do this).

Georgia has a one time ad valorem tax in lieu of sales tax and it works differently, long story short you can’t recognize sales tax paid out of state.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka and n.one.one