Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited my local Tesla showroom and the SA adviced ordering a MY performance then trade it in when my MX becomes available. She's not hopeful of any delivery this year. Looks like a win/win situation for Tesla.
It might seem like a win/win, but I think they are killing themselves to get these beasts out the door. I know they do want to simplify, which keeps the profit margin healthier in the long term. I hate this for you guys, but theme is "To accelerate the transition to sustainable energy". The way to do that is to get more cars in our hands and quick. If it takes killing 5/7 for Plaid then so be it, since the ratio of LR to Plaid is so very high. Even their most favored influencers(DirtyTesla for one...) are squawking about not getting their MX, and rightly so. Tesla wants to pump these cars out fast right now, more than they want the higher profit margin. Otherwise they'd let you pay the 20k + more for a Plaid 5/7.

Placed an order today (2/6/22) for a MY performance. Originally placed an order for a MX LR 1/27/21. This will be my first EV so really just looking to get into the game. Would like 6 seats (hence the MX) but don't need it as we will take delivery on a 2022 Cadillac Escalade ESV this coming week (Original order date for the Cadillac was 1/29/21 so this whole waiting game has been tons of fun)

Let's see which one comes first (both have EDD of March 2022). I'm concerned about the build quality of the MX. seen videos ranging from the normal gap issues all the way to rust. I expect to make the decision when the first one comes and I like/don't like it.

Anyone get the impression that the MY has a better build quality than the MX? I don't have much experience with either...family has a MX from 2016 maybe and it has tons of issues. a few friends have had the MY with little to no issues.
You would think that due to the sheer volume of production the Y would have more issues. But Tesla is an equal opportunity crappy builder so the $100k vehicle which they produce in very low volume still manages to have tons of issues…. Baffles the mind.

Gonna have to call BS on this. Sure you didn't ask to switch yourself bc they didn't offer the switch to anyone after 1st qtr 2021 orders. If it is true love to know how you got on that liast as many of us tried to no avail I even was told yes by 4 ppl then sent a text oh sorry you were a qtr 2 order only qtr 1 and earlier orders get it. Did you maybe order in 2020 finally agree to upgrade to the refresh X later in 2021? Something doesn't add up.
Wow, have no reason to lie. I have not call once tesla, they have always called/ text me. With my model Y, with my solar and now model X. This call has been my only communication verbally with them so far.If your doubt/claim were true, my base cost would have updated to the current price. The guy clearly told me with this change, the price woukd remain the same. I was sharing with others here nor I need this. I know how it went and I have positivity my delivery date will stick. Thank you but I will no longer write on this blog.

Last edited:
Here's an update. It's getting more and more real now.

Recap:
- Ordered Dec 9, 2020 | White exterior, Cream Interior, 22 inch wheels, no FSD
- Refreshed announced and was forced to accept new changes to my configuration for $10,000 more, but was promised a $2,000 discount
- Asked in October 2021 to change from 7 seats to 6 seats
- On Jan 23, 2021 VIN was assigned, received notification from a text
- On Jan 28, received a text to schedule my delivery
- I called my flakey local SA and I told him that I will be out of town for business for 6 weeks. He asked if I can reschedule my business travel. I wanted to say to him if he wanted to pay my salary for missing those days. In MA it is required that both registrants be present to sign for the vehicle, because of this, I took my name off of everything
- I ordered the snow tire winter package, I asked the local Tesla delivery center, worst case if we can leave the car there so we can get winter tires. They told me no. I advised my wife if she doesn't feel comfortable driving back home, to call a tow truck and have them deliver it to our house. Fortunately for her, the weather looks good
- I called Tesla and asked when will I see the $2,000 discount and they said 72 hours prior to delivery

Present:
I was just casually checking the MVPA today and the $2,000 discount showed up. Look at Section 1, Part C.

Do you guys suggest I pay now or pay after final inspection from the end user?

Thank you.
Finally took delivery this am, and the car truly is amazing. Tapped the pedal and instantly over 60mph without breaking a sweat. I've owned many cars, but nothing has scared me like this. Truly remarkable experience.
I feel the same way. Every time I get in my Plaid and depress the right pedal, I am glad I pulled the trigger and spent the extra $. Life is short.

Have a reservation with RN1151XXXXX for a Model X Plaid, 6-seat, FSD, black exterior white interior. No VIN, but a current EDD of Feb 4 - Feb 21. How realistic is that window :)? Anyone get VINs, or better yet a delivery, with a similar config?
Welcome to the forums!

You never know with Tesla and as this thread has established over the last 1000 pages EDDs don't mean much.

HOWEVER - Tesla has been prioritizing specifically Plaid 6-seat models. According to our order tracking sheet there have been multiple Plaid 6-seat deliveries for RN116xxxxxx orders. You have decent odds, but determining your delivery date is just about as sure as betting in roulette.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Placed an order today (2/6/22) for a MY performance. Originally placed an order for a MX LR 1/27/21. This will be my first EV so really just looking to get into the game. Would like 6 seats (hence the MX) but don't need it as we will take delivery on a 2022 Cadillac Escalade ESV this coming week (Original order date for the Cadillac was 1/29/21 so this whole waiting game has been tons of fun)

Let's see which one comes first (both have EDD of March 2022). I'm concerned about the build quality of the MX. seen videos ranging from the normal gap issues all the way to rust. I expect to make the decision when the first one comes and I like/don't like it.

Anyone get the impression that the MY has a better build quality than the MX? I don't have much experience with either...family has a MX from 2016 maybe and it has tons of issues. a few friends have had the MY with little to no issues.
I bought two Y’s last year. The LR was rock solid for almost 10k miles, other than the common rear seat rattle. I sold it last week after taking delivery of the X.

The Performance, which I still have, had no significant issues at delivery. Completely rattle/squeak free (unicorn!) until last week, when the driver side mirror became loose and started vibrating. Mobile service call pending.

The Y is much simpler (no air suspension or FWD) and should have fewer issues down the road. I don’t know if the build quality is better, but it is much less complex.

Wow, have no reason to lie. I have not call once tesla, they have always called/ text me. With my model Y, with my solar and now model X. This call has been my only communication verbally with them so far.If your doubt/claim were true, my base cost would have updated to the current price. The guy clearly told me with this change, the price woukd remain the same. I was sharing with others here nor I need this. I know how it went and I have positivity my delivery date will stick. Thank you but I will no longer write on this blog.
Just saying many ppl have tried to get "the call" w orders before yours and denied. Find it very hard to believe somehow you are the one. Not saying impossible but highly improbable.

Reactions: Elixir
T
363 days after placing the order we finally have a VIN! (Even a 2022 build)

LR black exterior cream interior 6 seat with 20s. App is showing Feb 7-11 but I called the KC delivery center to ask about delivery. Customer service showed vehicle arriving the 18th.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻LR Vinner. Okay now my hopes have gone up high PLEASE TESLA PLEASE give me my VIN! No delays on February 15 ! It’s my birthday month I deserve my VIN this month
My one year orderversary is March 28 ( 🙏 can I have my car by then)

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.00.22 PM.png

I wish Tesla would bring back the 6 seater with center council but make it removable so like you remove the piece of carpet and it latches in and you put another piece of carpet that fits around it for when you are using it.

- Add wireless changing in the armrest like MS

Just saying many ppl have tried to get "the call" w orders before yours and denied. Find it very hard to believe somehow you are the one. Not saying impossible but highly improbable.

Probably more likely than you would think.

Not particularly related, but there are multiple people that ordered MXPs in Nov/Dec 2021 who have already taken delivery. There obviously isn’t a rhyme or reason to some of Tesla’s decisions.

Probably more likely than you would think.

Not particularly related, but there are multiple people that ordered MXPs in Nov/Dec 2021 who have already taken delivery. There obviously isn’t a rhyme or reason to some of Tesla’s decisions.
Could be nothing more than logistics. A carrier for Tesla told us that the big trucks can't take very many Xs at one time. Too heavy. So a carrier might include a few 3's, or a few Y's, an S and two X's. 3s and Y's need to get to some area and can't fill the carrier to that area. So add an X here and there to fill the carrier. Its certainly not haphazard, Tesla is better than that.

I am slated to take delivery next week (Model X Plaid, White, 20 in. wheels in Chicago). I currently have a 2016 Model S and have a couple of questions. Does anyone have experience with both that can speak to range, especially during cold weather? I have found that I lose 30-40% of my range in the cold, but have heard the new versions are more efficient. Are you getting close to the rated range? Also, what is your rate of supercharging? I've always felt like my Model S charges much slower than the rates I hear from people with Model 3's and Y's.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
After 3 weeks of ownership, I am very impressed with the MY build - definitely the fit and finish is improved over my 2017 MX. It is a less sophisticated car than the X, but it is very nice and easy to drive.

And, as the Y has a full steering wheel, turn signal and the drive selector stalks, it will be a little easier for you to adapt to as you are coming from a conventional vehicle. Eventually, when you get the X, it will be a bit easier to step up to that updated / different set up.

• Informative
Reactions: studioloft
View attachment 765799
I wish Tesla would bring back the 6 seater with center council but make it removable so like you remove the piece of carpet and it latches in and you put another piece of carpet that fits around it for when you are using it.

- Add wireless changing in the armrest like MS
I agree a removable center console would be awesome. Especially if it folded up and fit in the frunk. That would be amazing.

I have a quick question regarding order date. I ordered a Silver MX plaid , 5 seater, 20” wheels on 12/31/21 Got a call Jan 18th about switching to a 6 seat and agreed to making the change.

My order agreement now shows an order date of 1/19/22. Is it possible the change pushed me back a bit more, or does it go off my reservation number? (Which I’m not sure if it changed since I didn’t really focus on it before)

Reservation number: RN11630 (northeast)