Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range has improved since 2016 in a number of ways. You probably have a 90 pack, and the 100 pack is just that much more energy storage. I had a 2016 S and ended up with a 2017 when the 2016 was written off due to an accident. Chemistry is also a factor as I think there's questions around the long term impacts of charging the 2016 packs. There have been changes to the motors around 2018 (Raven) that improved efficiency and durability. We've yet to fully understand the impact of the heat pump that is going into the refreshes, but supposedly it's more efficient than the resistive heating we've got in prior Model S/X. I've asked the same question about those with the refreshed S and X but haven't had any replies thus far. I'm having some issues with our Model Y and it's heat pump that is known and Tesla is supposedly investigating. Since we've not had the error message, but have experienced cool/cold cabin conditions this year as compared to last year, I'll bring it in for service later this spring. Efficiency seems to have dropped badly compared to last year and am wondering if the heat pump and gear is being overworked in the winter and whether something internally has failed.

The charging "miles per hour" is more reflective of the efficiency, but all of the vehicles will pull the same maximum rated kWh on L2 chargers. For mine it's around 11.5kWh, so while the Model S does something like 47km/h by the Y is something like 63km/h. Other variances may occur due to warming the pack since it might take a bit longer to optimize a larger pack, but the overall charge rate is unaffected on L2 chargers. Supercharging is something different and that's where your S charges slower.
Thanks for the reply. I get that the packs have gotten bigger and the chemistry has gotten better, but the rated range from my 85D to the Plaid X is only increasing from 270 to 333. I'm more interested in whether the X will perform closer to that rated range in the cold than my S does. Can anyone with a refreshed S or X comment on cold weather range compared to the rated range?

Thanks for the reply. I get that the packs have gotten bigger and the chemistry has gotten better, but the rated range from my 85D to the Plaid X is only increasing from 270 to 333. I'm more interested in whether the X will perform closer to that rated range in the cold than my S does. Can anyone with a refreshed S or X comment on cold weather range compared to the rated range?
Going to heat pumps will be the biggest difference maker. Coming from someone who had Tesla's pre and post heat pump. I also have a Rivian reserved but hate that it doesn't have a heat pump.

The cold weather range of refreshed X should be MUCH better than pre refresh mainly due to heat pump

Wow, have no reason to lie. I have not call once tesla, they have always called/ text me. With my model Y, with my solar and now model X. This call has been my only communication verbally with them so far.If your doubt/claim were true, my base cost would have updated to the current price. The guy clearly told me with this change, the price woukd remain the same. I was sharing with others here nor I need this. I know how it went and I have positivity my delivery date will stick. Thank you but I will no longer write on this blog.
Hey potatoneff, we've heard some crazy things and get loads and loads of info on this board. Sometimes we hear things that don't necessarily line up with those huge volumes of info(mostly about nothing lol.). Guys/gals want there cars so badly and we are impatient and grumpy. We're locked out of the candy store. Please take no offense, we've been in this bullpen for a long time-- many of us more than a year, so that adds to the grump. It's no excuse, just trying to be open about it. It's not personal to you, so sorry if you took offense.

Good news is that it’s a trim piece, not the car body. That makes more sense, as I’ve seen rub through spots on the FWD area that never rusted. Rust on brake rotors is also quite common and almost always from non use.

I don’t think either is of concern that the car will have rust issues. Tesla will easily replace the trim piece - possibly even with mobile service. And rust on brake rotors should shed off from use. I’ve even seen rust build up on EV brake rotors when a driver uses pretty much just regen to stop the car.

Both very likely more because a lot of cars were just sitting outside for an extended period of time. Of course, irritating that Tesla doesn’t notice such things during a pre-delivery inspection and fix prior to delivery. But such is the way.

MX Plaid ordered July 2021 RN1152XXXXX EDD February 11 - March 4 (I changed from LR last week without losing my place in line)
  • Tesla called me this morning to ask if I had a vehicle to trade in
  • the call center said "we will reach out with a VIN sometime in March" so I asked if I should ignore the Feb 11 window to which he said "it's more likely to be in March" - at least this is more truthful lol

Outside of the anomalies (which there are many), I feel like we are still in the late-Jan/Feb order date deliveries of LR. For those of us in May, it seems like the delivery is FAR away. We just don’t know the production or delivery rate to get any kind of estimate besides “not anytime soon”.

I know I am not saying anything new but just venting.
Not sure as TESLA keeps changing information day after day. I have a similar order date. Let's see how lucky we are

Reactions: 1pinhigh