Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite Rumors, No Future Option To Choose Wheel Or Yoke

The Yoke vs Wheel debate has been put to rest. Tesla will no longer offer the wheel and is going “all-in” on the Yoke concept. An official Tesla photo of the July 2022 Model X was released to the press this afternoon.

Elon Musk tweeted:
An over the air software update will enable “Yoke Mode Air Suspension”

Tesla released new specs and they are remarkable:

The Plaid 0-60 speed has been brought down from 2.5 to an astonishing 1.8. However, instead of seconds, it is now measured in minutes.

Range (EPA est.) is 35 miles for the LR and 28 miles for the Plaid.

ModelX_YokeWheels.jpg

Just wanted to chime in to say I’m excited to see the vibrant energy and uptick in positive vibes recently here as many have received date ranges, VINs, and cars recently.

For all the 5/7 seaters, international orders, and those disappointed about the somewhat non-chronological VIN assignments out there, it’s very tough, but try to remember your future car is getting better every day. Let’s try to celebrate in the increased happiness here as the ramp becomes reality.

Time slows down every time you F5, so speed it up by removing that key from your keyboard.

Keep in mind it’s the tires that cost range, not the rims. Although it might be hard to find high efficiency tires in that 22” staggered size. Ride wise (both noise and firmness) both rim and tire matter.

I would have done the same. I bet you can find someone easy to swap with.
Thanks for the tip.
I would swap but not sure how to proceed with a offer. Plus, I’d be losing the 5K extra I had to spend to get the car.
I like the look of the smaller wheels as well and wanted a softer ride. I drive the Bay Area SoCal route a few times a year and need every mile I can get. However, with 22” I’m averaging 357 wh/mi which is terrific and as good as my Model X 2016 with 20”
I imagine improved efficiency with the new motors and other changes have made the difference.
What wh/mi are other owners experiencing on the 20”? Is there a big difference in ride comfort?
Thanks

Thanks for the tip.
I would swap but not sure how to proceed with a offer. Plus, I’d be losing the 5K extra I had to spend to get the car.
I like the look of the smaller wheels as well and wanted a softer ride. I drive the Bay Area SoCal route a few times a year and need every mile I can get. However, with 22” I’m averaging 357 wh/mi which is terrific and as good as my Model X 2016 with 20”
I imagine improved efficiency with the new motors and other changes have made the difference.
What wh/mi are other owners experiencing on the 20”? Is there a big difference in ride comfort?
Thanks
For the record my lifetime (27K miles) on 20” is 305 wh/mi (2019 Raven X). That includes some towing and NewEngland winters.

MPGe (city/highway) based on small rims.

2020 Model X 108/101 Range 372
2022 Model X 107/97 Range 351
2020 Model S 121/112 Range 402
2022 Model S 127/115 Range 405

Just wanted to chime in to say I’m excited to see the vibrant energy and uptick in positive vibes recently here as many have received date ranges, VINs, and cars recently.

For all the 5/7 seaters, international orders, and those disappointed about the somewhat non-chronological VIN assignments out there, it’s very tough, but try to remember your future car is getting better every day. Let’s try to celebrate in the increased happiness here as the ramp becomes reality.

Time slows down every time you F5, so speed it up by removing that key from your keyboard.
I wish I have a future car to remember, to date no 5/7 seaters delivered.

Wrong. Angular momentum. Double penalty for weight in wheels which the 22" weighs more.
Yes on the race track doing 0-60 it matters. Or if you launch on every green light. Very little difference in efficiency for driving around normally. Has virtually no impact on the highway going constant speed. I would think Tesla would invest in lighter wheels if it was that significant. Total wheel weight (including tire) and where the weight is distributed doesn’t vary that much. And it only impacts acceleration. Not cruising (where you spend most of your driving for most people)

Send me a link on carefully conducted experiment where the only difference is the weight of the rim. Nothing else.

Tire composition totally dwarfs it. Yes weight has some impact. But it’s really small in practice (of normal driving).

Sorka only has a thumb and no evidence to back it up. And probably spent a fortune on lightweight wheels. I’m sure they look great.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SummitX and sorka
For those of you who got offered to $6500 credit to change to 6 seats, how did it work? I had my VIN assigned I see an option to enter my payment information but it says nothing about the credit.
"How did it work?" - what a loaded question. Never got the $6500 credit but rather the added cost and an empty promise to deliver before the end of 2021 and now looking at August as a potential delivery - 19 months out. What a bargain!

I’ve owned many BMWs with the top packages but my ass doesn’t recall how comfortable they were. It’s been too long. But honestly, my MX is comfy as heck. Just wish I had better all weather mats as my kids eat like cavemen.
your kids lucky mine aren't allowed to eat in the car 😂 no shame here. Better eat before we leave or when we get there, ain't no in between

Yes. Which lines up with the leaked picture of the steering yoke with the “software enabled horn” label on it.

It's not so much that we're not interested, it just seems like there's zero movement. Nothing can be identified.
Lot of people getting vins and a lot of Tesla's ready to be loaded on trucks. Starting to look good. Just need to get all the 6 seaters out so we can get ours.

Yes on the race track doing 0-60 it matters. Or if you launch on every green light. Very little difference in efficiency for driving around normally. Has virtually no impact on the highway going constant speed. I would think Tesla would invest in lighter wheels if it was that significant. Total wheel weight (including tire) and where the weight is distributed doesn’t vary that much. And it only impacts acceleration. Not cruising (where you spend most of your driving for most people)

Send me a link on carefully conducted experiment where the only difference is the weight of the rim. Nothing else.

Tire composition totally dwarfs it. Yes weight has some impact. But it’s really small in practice (of normal driving).

It doesn't matter how slowly you launch. Accelerating to 60 mph in 6 seconds or 60 seconds will waste the same amount of energy for the heavier wheel vs the lighter wheel. It's not even just every change in speed, but every change in velocity. Heavier wheels hurt fuel economy just turning. The 22" wheels have more mass distributed further from the center so it's like a quadruple whammy vs non rotating mass. The metal weighs a lot more than the rubber.

Yes, there's no difference at constant speed, but that is not reality and if you can manage to go long distances with cruise control on and never have to slow for other cars AND a perfectly straight road that has no sweeping turns.