Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few takeaways after about 2 weeks of ownership.

I had my LR gray/white delivered after waiting 406 days. Initial delivery was smooth, simple, and exciting. The car is seriously like nothing I've driven before. Kids love it, seats are futuristic. Sound system is top notch. Acceleration is wayyy more than anyone needs. Ride on the air suspension is amazing. Overall, extremely pleased. I put PPF on the front (shop did an amazing job) which should save the paint from brutal Colorado winter roads.

But, a few problems have popped up (already!!).

-The trim behind the third row catches and has broken the plastic caps. This happed the first time I folded up the seat.
-Passenger side front window no longer goes all the way up or down automatically.
-Charge door no longer opens when I press my Gen3 wall charger button (it did at first).
-The rear door is totally crooked. It's too far to the left at the top and too far to the right on the bottom. It works fine, so I'm not sure what they are going to do about that...
-I still don't have any key fobs
-Condensation in the right tail lights
-About 30% of the time, I get a warning saying "Turn signal fault." and I need to get it serviced. Seems to work fine, but that's disconcerting.
-I don't have FSD. Auto drive is completely worthless to me when traveling in the right lane on the highway. Every time I pass an off ramp, the car decelerates quickly because it thinks the speed limit is suddenly 40 (the speed of the off ramp). I have a 2/2012 build, so I'm assuming I don't have radar. I was also traveling on a 2 lane road this morning, and a big truck was coming the other way. The car erroneously thought the truck was in my lane and slammed on my brakes. Thank goodness no one was behind me!

Other impressions:
-Turn signals - when they are not giving me a fault, I actually love them.
-yoke - It's great... when you are not using it to actually steer the vehicle. It's fine, futuristic, a fan favorite, and totally video game-like on the road, but it's really quite dumb in parking lots. Just my opinion. It's not a deal breaker, and it's novel. I don't hate it enough to invest in an aftermarket steering wheel (I love a heated yoke), but I miss a regular steering wheel.
-automatic high beams and windshield wipers - these really are quite inferior to simpler systems in MUCH cheaper cars.

Do I love the car? Most definitely. Is it perfect? No. But it's worth the wait. Hang in there.

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
Anyone else get this text today? Does this mean anything? I have no vin yet, just a March date range

Tesla Update - We currently plan to build and deliver your Model X in March.

Please reply MARCH if you are ready for delivery this month and we will contact you about scheduling your delivery once your Model X is built.
Please reply DELAY if you cannot take delivery this month and we will reach back out at a later time.”
Wondering if messages are by order date or by location. Assuming they are trying to meet some Q1 numbers, whatever the reason may be; hope those of you who got the message actually get the to take the delivery this month.

A few takeaways after about 2 weeks of ownership.

I had my LR gray/white delivered after waiting 406 days. Initial delivery was smooth, simple, and exciting. The car is seriously like nothing I've driven before. Kids love it, seats are futuristic. Sound system is top notch. Acceleration is wayyy more than anyone needs. Ride on the air suspension is amazing. Overall, extremely pleased. I put PPF on the front (shop did an amazing job) which should save the paint from brutal Colorado winter roads.

But, a few problems have popped up (already!!).

-The trim behind the third row catches and has broken the plastic caps. This happed the first time I folded up the seat.
-Passenger side front window no longer goes all the way up or down automatically.
-Charge door no longer opens when I press my Gen3 wall charger button (it did at first).
-The rear door is totally crooked. It's too far to the left at the top and too far to the right on the bottom. It works fine, so I'm not sure what they are going to do about that...
-I still don't have any key fobs
-Condensation in the right tail lights
-About 30% of the time, I get a warning saying "Turn signal fault." and I need to get it serviced. Seems to work fine, but that's disconcerting.
-I don't have FSD. Auto drive is completely worthless to me when traveling in the right lane on the highway. Every time I pass an off ramp, the car decelerates quickly because it thinks the speed limit is suddenly 40 (the speed of the off ramp). I have a 2/2012 build, so I'm assuming I don't have radar. I was also traveling on a 2 lane road this morning, and a big truck was coming the other way. The car erroneously thought the truck was in my lane and slammed on my brakes. Thank goodness no one was behind me!

Other impressions:
-Turn signals - when they are not giving me a fault, I actually love them.
-yoke - It's great... when you are not using it to actually steer the vehicle. It's fine, futuristic, a fan favorite, and totally video game-like on the road, but it's really quite dumb in parking lots. Just my opinion. It's not a deal breaker, and it's novel. I don't hate it enough to invest in an aftermarket steering wheel (I love a heated yoke), but I miss a regular steering wheel.
-automatic high beams and windshield wipers - these really are quite inferior to simpler systems in MUCH cheaper cars.

Do I love the car? Most definitely. Is it perfect? No. But it's worth the wait. Hang in there.

There is sticky thread on Model X stuff, sorry I forget the name.
But my X had the "phantom" stop on the Drivers door window. I fixed it myself. It's really whacky the way you do it.
But it worked and I never had a problem again. Basically you keep trigging the "safety" stop by bumping it while it's closing.
Took me like 10 attempts.
It's whacky how it works, but it was very consistent. I could even move the phantom stop.

They won't do anything about condensation in your lights.

AutoPilot in right lane. I suspect it's not stopping because of speed limit on the ramp. If it sees a car ahead or behind you on the ramp it's over polite and will ALWAYS let them in. Even it means coming to a full stop on the highway. It never accelerates to let them merge behind. Never. You get used to it. If you see someone on the ramp just hit the throttle. If on Nav on Auto Pilot it tends to get out of the right lane to avoid the problem ;)

This complaint comes up so often with Teslas that don't have radar, I suspect everyone experiences phantom braking on AP and it can't be long before the NHTSA forces some sort of action.

Funny thing, I have a Plaid X order from 8/2021 and a X-5 Seater ordered on 1/21/22. The Plaid X was on my wife's account and the LR X on my account which I've bought 7 Teslas over the years.

The LR X got the text even though EDD was January 2023 but no text on the Plaid X

Delivery Location is Irvine, CA - No FSD on either cars
Nice!! I guess buying 7 Teslas has some benefits? 😀