Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 8/2021 order for a Tesla X Plaid just updated from July to Estimated Delivery: March 26 - April 15

I made a change to my configuration to downgrade wheels and change cream to white just Monday. So the change didn't put me to the back of the line.

Delivery is Irvine, CA.

No VIN

Separately i have also a LR X on order 5 seater. This one got a March text but currently page is down for it. Last night not VIN and January 2023 EDD. Ordered in Jan 2022

How did you get 4k? I thought it was 2k if you ordered pre-refresh.

I thought the same, but it clearly says -$4,000 from the old price of $10,000. Probably, $2,000 of it is for switching to the refreshed model. They were really sorry for that :D
I think it was $2000 off the price of the car (after the $10k price increase) and $2000 off the price of FSD which increased from $10k to $12k.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stro
My car (VIN 335xxx) is going to be released. Due to issues with timing, we cannot trade in our current car and that makes it not worthwhile to take delivery now. We will be waiting until July or the new headlights (or both).

I looked at the car and it does look great from the outside. It has the new chargeport door (which I am not a huge fan of but could be valuable).

If COVID hadn't shut down all by 5 DMV facilities, we could've likely gotten everything taken care of but our clear title sent from our (former) lender never arrived (they claim it was sent), so we are forced to drive 30 miles to a DMV to get the title issued/corrected (or wait 5-10 business days for it to be done by mail).

We drove once to a full service DMV yesterday and it was a 5 hour wait and they likely couldn't process us before their close of business. They said come back tomorrow before they open. So we drove there this morning and it was a 2 hours wait 30 minutes before it opened (we got there at 6:59am). Spring break HS kids want their licenses and so they have no qualms with long waits. It was like the line for Lollapalooza.

Tesla, obviously, isn't going to wait and we've taken off a couple half days just to deal with our lender and cleaning out the car to get it ready for trade in (and swapping winter wheels, etc.). So I'm throwing in the towel on this one.

Good luck to whomever gets it -- it looks like it has everything assembled well with great quality paint.

I'll be ready to take delivery in 2 weeks but will put our car on a 2 month hold just to get closer to the matrix headlights and IL rebate which starts July 1. I'm also going to switch lenders from US bank to another provider because they messed up our title and refused to take responsibility (or do anything). They were really unprofessional but a local branch office did provide us with a payoff letter that we could've used at the DMV to get the lien released and clean title issued if the DMVs weren't gutted due to COVID. Oh well.

Attachments

• PXL_20220322_163312783.jpg
    PXL_20220322_163312783.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220322_163322836.jpg
    PXL_20220322_163322836.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20220322_163332043.jpg
    PXL_20220322_163332043.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220322_163338730.jpg
    PXL_20220322_163338730.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 76
I have read through a lot of pages of this thread, and it seems every third post is complaining about Tesla, or their lies, or, their SC’s…

I mean, does everyone still want their Tesla, even with all the complaints? We’re talking a 100k+ car here, and there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction for Tesla. I am beginning to question it myself, I have a 2020 that I just had in for service, to fix the FWD from stopping almost shutting, every other time. They had the car the whole day, and gave it back and said they couldn’t replicate the problem. What? I replicated it for the service guy right there. It literally happens every other time you close the door. I left, and the second time I go to close it, of course it stopped again, like clockwork.

I have a Refresh on order, and man, I just don’t know… anyone offer up any good advice? Or their thoughts on all of this, lots of complaints, but everyone still wants their Tesla….
A lot of the disgruntled are seasoned Tesla customers, myself included. A lot of people have a lot of legitimate reasons to be frustrated. From my perspective, much of this has to do with the way Tesla grew. They used to be very customer-centric; focused on creating an amazing customer experience. They are now quite large, and the overwhelming feeling is that profit chasing has become a priority over taking care of the customer.

All companies need to profit, otherwise they would not exist and be able to offer their products. But, most companies are smart enough to realize that you make profit through providing goods and services for the customer's benefit. Customer is happy -> remains loyal and spreads the word -> company makes money and grows. Everyone wins. Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, they have forgotten key elements of the formula (the satisfied and fairly treated/happy customer part) because they are able to get away with it. Why? Because their products, with all their warts, are unparalleled and don't have really viable competition.

Some people have compared Apple to Tesla. I have also been a very long, loyal customer to Apple. Sure, they have grown, but I still feel like the company has a do-good mission and actually cares about me. They have grown a lot, and somehow managed to keep customers feeling like they are a priority.

On another note, I just got yet another date range, after being pushed to "July" again. I am back for more punishment on the EDD rollercoaster!

People normally go out of their way to express their dissatisfaction. I'm sure the number of people who are content with Tesla and the Model X outnumber the ones who are dissatisfied. Also, reading some of these posts makes me feel like the majority of these people have never ordered a car to their specification. These challenges exist with other manufacturers to an even worse degree.
I replied to @mnawa1's post without realizing this was the one that referenced "new" customers. See above. I have ordered cars to specs many times, with Tesla and other companies. This experience is by far the worst one I have had.

Interesting! So you have a car that was finished today, and they're talking about possibly getting it ready to deliver by Friday (2 days of QA/QC time) to either Sunnyvale or Fremont. I have a car that was finished sometime in the first week of March, and is still sitting in Fremont not through with inspections 3 weeks later, for delivery in Fremont. Isn't that special?

(Fremont is not my closest delivery option...that'd probably be Dublin. But I had the same thoughts about transportation and damage in transit.)

I talked to someone who was going to reach out to the Fremont delivery team to get me an update "hopefully by end of the day today". We'll see how this goes. My SA was really helpful earlier in the ordering process, but hasn't replied to any of my emails recently.

Good luck...hope you get a flawless car on a schedule that works for you!

Bruce.
Likewise Bruce!

I doubt I’ll get by tomorrow, but we’ll see what happens for me. I’m more concerned about losing my VIN.

My suspicion with your car is they either needed to replace a part that’s taking time during QA or they didn’t want to deal with X Bay Area deliveries until EOQ. They will want to get you your car by 3/31. Good luck. I bet you’ll get a text this week asking to schedule delivery by 3/31.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
I do wonder how self reinforcing the build quality stuff is. What I mean by that is that most of us are obsessed with examining the car for hours looking for flaws following a multi page checklist. I never did that with my Nissans or Infiniti. Years later I’ve checked them and they do have inconsistent panel gaps - is everyone holding Tesla to a higher standard than every other manufacturer?

I’m pretty sure that the other manufacturers aren’t cranking out perfect pristine cars either.

Now FwD not working correctly etc is obviously a unique tesla issue since they’re the only ones who use such complicated doors - but if the model X didn’t have them would it still be the Faberge egg?

I think what has happened is that you have a combination of the following:

1. Actual below average initial build quality from Tesla in the early years. It's probably up to average now, but the reputation was established early on.
2. An enthusiast community that shares all of their experiences on this forum and others.
3. Above-average intelligence and enthusiasm of the Tesla clientele.
4. New concepts and designs that aren't yet well-established.
5. A young and inexperienced company.

These indeed do combine into a self-reinforcing behavior. The buyers see that others had below-average experiences, so to protect themselves they scrutinize closer than buyers of other vehicles. Since there will always be some flaws, then those flaws get found. Then those flaws get posted for all to see, and the process repeats.

One person here had some missing seat bolts. So what's happening now? Everyone is checking for missing seat bolts. The actual rate of missing seat bolts is probably no higher for Tesla than for any other manufacturer, but because of the information sharing and community enthusiasm, the resultant behavior is a lot different than what would happen with a different car manufacturer.

Essentially, Tesla's build mistakes combined with the desirability of the cars has "trained" the buyers into this behavior.

1. Actual below average initial build quality from Tesla in the early years. It's probably up to average now, but the reputation was established early on.
2. An enthusiast community that shares all of their experiences on this forum and others.

These indeed do combine into a self-reinforcing behavior. The buyers see that others had below-average experiences, so to protect themselves they scrutinize closer than buyers of other vehicles. Since there will always be some flaws, then those flaws get found. Then those flaws get posted for all to see, and the process repeats.

One person here had some missing seat bolts. So what's happening now? Everyone is checking for missing seat bolts. The actual rate of missing seat bolts is probably no higher for Tesla than for any other manufacturer, but because of the information sharing and community enthusiasm, the resultant behavior is a lot different than what would happen with a different car manufacturer.

Essentially, Tesla's build mistakes combined with the desirability of the cars has "trained" the buyers into this behavior.
Up to average for whom/what? Certainly not the overall auto industry.

Go buy a Lexus and then tell me about gaps, paint flaws, cracked glass, doors that don't open and close properly etc. Also, compare the service experience at the dealer. OMG, the service experience is so good that some business people and others look forward to bringing their car in for service. White glove treatment, work stations, free refreshments, snacks, and occasionally sandwiches. Ice cream too. Free car washes just for coming by. If Lexus had an EV in the RX line, we would be ordering that right now.

Right now, Tesla mobile service and technology wins. 3-5 years from now, not so sure.

Great analysis. I very much agree.

I disagree with #3. I'm as dumb as they come.

I have read through a lot of pages of this thread, and it seems every third post is complaining about Tesla, or their lies, or, their SC’s…

I mean, does everyone still want their Tesla, even with all the complaints?
This Model X may very well be my last Tesla. Depends on how the experience goes. There are only <1,500 people on earth that have been a customer longer than I. I have watched the product quality and customer service go downhill since Model 3 and it is heartbreaking.

I have had a really good experience w/ my Volvo XC40. It has opened my eyes that other manufacturers can build great EVs. The range and performance isn't there yet but it is coming. I am excited to see the Louts Type 132 next week and the Performance model of the BMW iX.

For now, Tesla is still the best in mind-melting performance for a reasonable price so here I am.
These challenges exist with other manufacturers to an even worse degree.
Wow, this is just so completely wrong. What manufacturers have worse customer service and product quality than Tesla? Yugos maybe. The stories in this thread rival anything I've ever heard from even the worse dealerships.
I do wonder how self reinforcing the build quality stuff is. What I mean by that is that most of us are obsessed with examining the car for hours looking for flaws following a multi page checklist. I never did that with my Nissans or Infiniti. Years later I’ve checked them and they do have inconsistent panel gaps - is everyone holding Tesla to a higher standard than every other manufacturer?
Because you didn't need to do it with other cars. I have never seen another new car where opening the doors cause paint to chip off of adjacent panels. Not even 1970's GM cars did that.

Also, you are comparing a $50k Nissan to a $100k Tesla. That is the wrong comparison. You should be comparing to other $100k cars and I can promise you that you will not find these kinds of problems.
I'll be ready to take delivery in 2 weeks but will put our car on a 2 month hold just to get closer to the matrix headlights and IL rebate which starts July 1.
Can you share how you are doing a 2 month hold? When I called to put a hold on mine in Feb I was told I only got 1 30-day hold.

My 2010, 2012, and 2018 Teslas were WAY better than what is happening now. I never went into any of those purchases expecting to reject the car but I am with this Model X. Product Quality has gone WAY down recently. In fact, Tesla is currently using up the goodwill they acquired in the early years. As I said above, Tesla is on the verge of losing me as a customer and there are more like me.

Dumb question #1: I'm not seeing front license plate brackets stuck on the X from the factory like the S and their 3M adhesive attached brackets. I'm assuming the X has some sort of under bolt on option then? Surprised the S/X don't share the same style of front mount with the redesign.

Dumb question #2: Does air ride height affect comfort? IE High = more travel = comfier than very low? Or is it just a clearance thing?

Dumb question #3: GPS memory ride height. My kid's school car line has a ton of speed bumps. In my perfect world I'd be low / very low coming off the highway and then once I get to the school I crank up to high and then upon exit I go back to low / very low. How does this work in a real world application? How granular is the GPS memory? The school entrance/exit is the same road. I also travel to/from on the same side street. So I can see how the computer would get confused if I'm coming (need to raise) or going (need to lower). I guess I might need to figure out distinct lower/raise locations on my commute? How long does it take to lower/raise?
-edit, Learn to read the manual Mike, Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla I'll have the car automagiclly set to HIGH via GPS upon entering the school, it'll then automagically revert to default (med or low) after I go 35mph or faster, ie after I've left the parking lot. Them boys at Tesla, they think of everything.

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure that the other manufacturers aren’t cranking out perfect pristine cars either.

Now FwD not working correctly etc is obviously a unique tesla issue since they’re the only ones who use such complicated doors - but if the model X didn’t have them would it still be the Faberge egg?
I think you are right. When I picked up our 2019 MS, I had never read a forum or blog about Tesla. We did not do a search for flaws We paid for it and drove away. The guy who did the ppf said there was a paint flaw on a read body panel (no ppf on rear). I have waxed the car several times and have never seen any flaws. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but we are really happy with our MS build quality, and I am sure the X i'm getting will also be fine. I pick it up Saturday.

Some people can't afford to wait / risk losing their allocation over a few smudges you can clean yourself in a few minutes.. I don't disagree that tesla has an issue here but it's nothing that can't be resolved after delivery.

Totally agree. I’m calling BS on rejecting a car because it’s dirty. Silly. Here in Atlanta in the Spring you can wash your car in the morning and it’s totally trashed with yellow pollen by end of day.

Totally agree. I’m calling BS on rejecting a car because it’s dirty. Silly. Here in Atlanta in the Spring you can wash your car in the morning and it’s totally trashed with yellow pollen by end of day.
To be fair, mine was scratched up and they've delayed delivery 2 weeks for having to repaint and I'm still planning on taking it as long as everything else is good. Saturday is the day ...