Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had my first 'bad' experience with the yoke. I was picking up some Chick-Fil-A for the kids and as I was exiting the parking lot area and turning, I accidentally honked at some young girls taking pictures in front of the building as I turned the yoke. They waved and the wife yelled, 'What the F....!?" I explained that I didn't mean to, but she didn't buy it. So, be careful folks. Yokes can potentially destroy marriages.
This is so funny on soooo many levels!! Stro, did you really mean to be that funny... or was it just a Yoke??? 😁😁😁

We do hold Tesla to a higher standard, because we can, unlike legacy auto companies who have created a system where there just is no accountability. This is why I love Tesla, yes they are messed up in many ways, but you can feel it in your bones, how they are growing, striving to do a better job every day and changing constantly before our eyes as they take steps forward and backward, and generally many more steps forward than backward.
Status Quo? No such thing at Tesla!
Love this! Great way to say it!

Been catching up on the last 10 pages and there seems to be two camps:
1) Tesla quality sucks! This’ll be my last Tesla or may cancel altogether!
2) Just took delivery today, ghastly panel gaps, FWD does not work, dents, missing hardware…but the car is great! Love it!
Almost seems as though Tesla also gave out rose-colored glasses with these deliveries, lol

Please make sure to file an NHTSA complaint for the phantom braking.
I have to question all these phantom braking complaints. Drove home in my friends Model Y, no phantom braking. Drove my Model X on FSD Beta (vision only) 300 miles before trading, No phantom braking. Picked up Refresh S, No phantom braking.

A lot of people think it’s ok to use AutoPilot on city streets (anything but expressway). It’s not. And those folks with FSD Beta expect it to be FSD. Well we all know that it isn’t and very clearly why it’s Beta. Also while in the expressway if a car is anywhere on a merging lane. Way ahead, way behind, or next to you, and you are in the right lane it will reliably BRAKE. It’s not phantom (which means for no reason). You learn how to deal with merge traffic.

I have to question all these phantom braking complaints. Drove home in my friends Model Y, no phantom braking. Drove my Model X on FSD Beta (vision only) 300 miles before trading, No phantom braking. Picked up Refresh S, No phantom braking.

A lot of people think it’s ok to use AutoPilot on city streets (anything but expressway). It’s not. And those folks with FSD Beta expect it to be FSD. Well we all know that it isn’t and very clearly why it’s Beta. Also while in the expressway if a car is anywhere on a merging lane. Way ahead, way behind, or next to you, and you are in the right lane it will reliably BRAKE. It’s not phantom (which means for no reason). You learn how to deal with merge traffic.
as someone said here previously, lots of the phantom breaking can be solved with recalibrating the cameras.
On my MY I have sometimes unexpected slow downs but I'll take it any day for the amazing AP Tesla has.

This is a whole different conversation but with a bit of creativity...you can truly get how amazing it is.

Reactions: mswlogo

Says the guy from New Hampshire. Went to undergrad there, and it’s beautiful, but no overpasses and few semis.

I don’t mean to be dismissive, but did that MY have radar? It’s actually not bad now on radar, but it took 4 years, and the switch to vision scares me of reversion to 4 years ago.

You are hearing about phantom braking from those in states with more people than deer.

Says the guy from New Hampshire. Went to undergrad there, and it’s beautiful, but no overpasses and few semis.

I don’t mean to be dismissive, but did that MY have radar? It’s actually not bad now on radar, but it took 4 years, and the switch to vision scares me of reversion to 4 years ago.

You are hearing about phantom braking from those in states with more people than deer.
I don't have radar on my MY (I think, since auto steer is limited to 80mph) and it works great 98% of the times

as someone said here previously, lots of the phantom breaking can be solved with recalibrating the cameras.
On my MY I have sometimes unexpected slow downs but I'll take it any day for the amazing AP Tesla has.

This is a whole different conversation but with a bit of creativity...you can truly get how amazing it is.
Good point. I have not had to do that on any of my cars or my friends. I assume that first drive that it calibrates it is doing that. But it could be different when you hit the calibrate button. Since it’s working good I never experimented. Couple years back it was phantom braking. Once in great while it might hesitate slightly. But it’s sort of game to find why it did. And it’s almost always a valid reason. I’m so confident now it’s usually something I missed that it saw. It’s overly cautious and I’m ok with that.

Reactions: coco135

I drive between NH and MA all the time. Plenty of Semi’s, I hate them. They do fade off the further north you go. There are overpasses too, even in NH but not as many as other places.

I have seen it act up a lot years ago for overpasses. I even started threads bitching about it. But for the last year or so it had been much much better. Not perfect but very good. And I saw zero difference when I switched to FSD Beta and Zero on the Radar less S.

Might depend on some settings too. I have all safeties on. But not on max. I don’t use Nav on Auto Pilot either. That will cause trouble.

Good point. I have not had to do that on any of my cars or my friends. I assume that first drive that it calibrates it is doing that. But it could be different when you hit the calibrate button. Since it’s working good I never experimented. Couple years back it was phantom braking. Once in great while it might hesitate slightly. But it’s sort of game to find why it did. And it’s almost always a valid reason. I’m so confident now it’s usually something I missed that it saw. It’s overly cautious and I’m ok with that.
That's exactly it.

People who complain about "phantom braking" are the jerks who don't wait for pedestrian crossings and think their car is "stopping for no reason" when it's doing what normal drivers would do.

(Y'all know about the inverse correlation between car price and driving courtesy, right?)

Many of these complaints are just on straight freeways from folks who've owned Teslas for years and had previous APs and radar and didn't have this issue on the same roads they drive now.

It'll be interesting if more people do the camera recalibration on a straight freeway since someone here swears that fixed their phantom braking issue.

That's exactly it.

People who complain about "phantom braking" are the jerks who don't wait for pedestrian crossings and think their car is "stopping for no reason" when it's doing what normal drivers would do.

(Y'all know about the inverse correlation between car price and driving courtesy, right?)
Not sure how serious you are but Teslas don’t work where pedestrians cross yet. They will wildly brake with FSD Beta or and probably Not brake at all with no FSD Beta. New owners don’t have the Beta. They only thing fully supported is Expressway driving.

Now they want to complain about Nav on Auto Pilot or Summon. That’s fair game because those are supposed to work and in my opinion they suck. But many people use it.

Reactions: groundy
Many of these complaints are just on straight freeways from folks who've owned Teslas for years and had previous APs and radar and didn't have this issue on the same roads they drive now.

It'll be interesting if more people do the camera recalibration on a straight freeway since someone here swears that fixed their phantom braking issue.
That might be true in some cases and I hope a calibration fixes it. Granted my own sample is small. But I’ve seen a lot of posts with phantom braking then references to traffic lights. Hello! But I think many complaint on new cars are new drivers. Or they immediately blame vision is the cause.

Reactions: sorka
Just a bit of guidance for you on selling your 2018 Model X 75d from my own experience this month disposing of my CPO 2018 Model X 5 seat with FSD 20” with 18500 miles on it.
Carmax, Carvana, Current, and Tesla were given the chance to buy it.
Lowest offer was $68,700 and the highest was $79,400 from Tesla in trade for my new one plus a credit for sales tax in Texas that made it $85,400
Tesla knows what the 2018 Model X is worth - we bought it from them as a CPO just 3 months ago. They know the fair market value, and Washington state also has a sales tax benefit for a trade-in.

Carvana lowballed it at $59,819 (seriously?!). TrueCar is in the ballpark at $76,825 but after the nightmare I had in December, I do not want to sell again to another dealer. Waiting on Tesla, Shift and Vroom, and might shop it to Carmax over the weekend. And thanks for the tip on Current - just submitted a request to them as well.

Reactions: TallBill
Been catching up on the last 10 pages and there seems to be two camps:
1) Tesla quality sucks! This’ll be my last Tesla or may cancel altogether!
2) Just took delivery today, ghastly panel gaps, FWD does not work, dents, missing hardware…but the car is great! Love it!
Almost seems as though Tesla also gave out rose-colored glasses with these deliveries, lol
Wait - you left out mine and many others who have NO issues but generally don’t post they just go off and enjoy like I am about to…

Tesla knows what the 2018 Model X is worth - we bought it from them as a CPO just 3 months ago. They know the fair market value, and Washington state also has a sales tax benefit for a trade-in.

Carvana lowballed it at $59,819 (seriously?!). TrueCar is in the ballpark at $76,825 but after the nightmare I had in December, I do not want to sell again to another dealer. Waiting on Tesla, Shift and Vroom, and might shop it to Carmax over the weekend. And thanks for the tip on Current - just submitted a request to them as well.
Same with me - CPO from Tesla as a temporary car as I could not drive to the office in a golf cart in the cold winter anymore. I bought my 75d in December and it too was purr-fect - but this new one is incredible - Mercedes has lost me as a customer!